A Line In The Sand: Net Neutrality

RogueSoul

We like to stay out of politics as much as we can around here, but sometimes things happen that require us to raise our voices.

Now is one of those times.

Those in the United States have likely heard more about this than others, but this may very well be an international problem in the future. It's a fairly complex issue, so I'll try to cover it in its most basic form. The FCC (Federal Communications Committee) chairman Ajit Pai is attempting to repeal Net Neutrality legislation passed in the previous administration. Net Neutrality is the very reason you can load this site up without having to worry about your data company tampering with your connection here.

Without Net Neutrality, data companies can run their businesses as they want to. "Yay, capitalism!" and all that aside, this does not mean good things for the consumer. Should Net Neutrality laws be annulled, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) will have the ability to charge you to use certain websites, or slow down other sites that are supported by their competitors. So, depending on your service provider, you may have perfect connection to Amazon Video but incredibly slow, if any connection to Netflix. No more loading up those hour-long Linkin Park shows on YouTube if you don't have the right provider, and no more quick downloads of the latest sources. You may have to buy packages of media, such one for streaming services such as YouTube and Spotify, and another for social media like Twitter and Facebook. Long story short, you may not be able to enjoy all these sites you use every day freely anymore. This is an example of what you may face if Net Neutrality is appealed:

what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagr

We know there are a majority of you who don't live in the United States, but remember that much of society is ruled by example. Should the United States lose Net Neutrality, and should it prove to be lucrative for companies here, there's little stopping other countries from following suit. The United States is a superpower no matter how chaotic our political atmosphere may be right now. Net Neutrality may be an issue for us here right now, but it will very well be knocking on your doorsteps across the oceans soon, too.

What can we do to stop it? The vote happens on December 14, so we have that much time to keep spreading the word. For those in the United States: call your local legislator. Send out some emails. Spread awareness. Retweet this on Twitter. Tell your friends. Tell you dog. Just don't let your voice go unheard. Society is forever changing, and it is in the hands of the people to move it forward. Your voice does matter. Remember: you are the light in the sky of a million stars. One voice can lead a world of others.

This song's feeling pretty relevant right now.

It's time we draw a line in the sand against this once and for all; this isn't the first time we've fought this battle and it likely won't be the last. Never give up on fighting for something you believe in. Join us in the battle for the Internet. For more information on Net Neutrality and what you can do to stop it, visit this website. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook and let us know how you feel about this situation. Let's take back what's ours and win this fight.

Your greed led the call, my flag had to fall
But little did you know.

This would back-fire so badly, it would be hilarious...

Are you sure?

At best you'll get people in white masks protesting in cities, with no real result. Think about it, stuff like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. will all most likely remain untouched. Why? Because they're the most visited sites. With a vast majority of internet users that only use social media sites, this leaves the lesser used sites like LPLive at higher risk as they'll be prioritized much less.

It won't backfire half as much as you think because this vast majority of social-media-only users won't notice a change. The vast majority of users won't be part of an uprising because they're happy with how things are.

Are you sure?

At best you'll get people in white masks protesting in cities, with no real result. Think about it, stuff like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. will all most likely remain untouched. Why? Because they're the most visited sites. With a vast majority of internet users that only use social media sites, this leaves the lesser used sites like LPLive at higher risk as they'll be prioritized much less.

It won't backfire half as much as you think because this vast majority of social-media-only users won't notice a change. The vast majority of users won't be part of an uprising because they're happy with how things are.

Good point, but I just don't see this going through well with anyone.

Let's just hope this doesn't go through at all. Period.

Are you sure?

I honestly only really visit Facebook, YouTube and Google, as well as LPLive. Of course I'll google stuff and come across various sites, etc. but those are my primary websites that I visit on a daily basis. It will suck for LPLive, but the others that I mentioned will likely be fine. I think it's a little bit overhyped - people are acting like it's the end of the internet as we know it, but the huge sites will likely be ok.

However, this is a huge issue, IMO. I don't want the U.S. to lose net neutrality. I don't want to get political. But yeah. And No More Sorrow is actually quite fitting. It's crazy how much songs off of MTM actually relate quite well to the current state of things, both politically and emotionally, the emotional part being for myself.

Edited by Geki