SOBC Interview w/ Ryu & Cheapshot

hahninator

To coincide with the release of Styles Of Beyond's third studio album Reseda Beach today, RYU and Cheapshot have both answered some questions for us about the album, its recording, and also other future music projects (including some new S.O.B. releases).

We would also like to take this opportunity to announce that during the next LPLive site upgrade, SOBCentral will officially be integrated into the site!

You will then be able to get all of your SOBC needs right here on LPL, as well as our Twitter.com/SOBCentral and Facebook.com/SOBCentral pages.

So look forward to seeing those changes soon!

But without further adieu, please enjoy this SOBC+LPL exclusive interview...

(continues in the next post)

SOBC: As always, thanks for supporting SOBC and agreeing to do this interview with us. We appreciate you guys taking the time, and we hope to gain some insight into the long-awaited Reseda Beach record that you guys are finally able to drop for us.

RYU: Sweet.

Cheapshot: I like beans.

SOBC: Given the struggle over the years in getting the record out, how do you feel now that it's finally on its way to being released?

Cheaphot: It's exciting to see something you worked so hard on finally get its due. It's been ten years since we last put out an album which means this will be the first time we have had music out since Friendster was the leader in social networking. Hopefully this will get us 10 more friends on MySpace.

RYU: I honestly don't feel much about it, other than I'm happy that we could make it available for the fans that wanted it. I wish it had come out 5 years ago, but better late than never.

SOBC: Now, the album has been completed for a few years, but the artwork for the record was only recently revealed. Who handled the art direction for the album, and what made you guys choose that direction for the look of the record?

RYU: The album artwork was handled by the Original T&C Surf Designs Artist Steve Nazar. T&C was a very popular clothing line in California when we were kids, and we wanted to capture that same feeling with the Reseda Beach artwork. I think it turned out awesome! Our good friend and fellow Demigodz member Open Mic also helped out with the cover art.

SOBC: There's a track that was made around the same time that the Reseda Beach album was - "Don't Feel Bad," which features and is produced by RZA from the Wu-Tang Clan. We notice it's not included on the album - what's the story behind that track, and are there any surprises that you want to reveal about the bonus second disc of unreleased songs that you guys included with the album?

RYU: We did do a song with RZA for the album, but unfortunately we couldn't come to an agreement on the business end of the track. It was fun doing that record with RZA. I never thought when I first started out as a rapper, that I would be in the studio working on a song with one of the greatest producers in Hip Hop. He really came through for us, wish we could have worked it out so the track could have been included on the album. As for the second CD on the album...it's basically just the individual tracks from the Razor Tag mixtape, with some additional rare songs included.

SOBC: Another track called "Chill Pill" was originally included on the album, but then was removed from the final track listing. Why was it removed?

RYU: We didn't include "Chill Pill" on the album because we didn't feel it matched the overall feel of the album. It is included on the Razor Tag bonus disc though.

SOBC: Cheap, we've already heard some of your world-famous scratching on the Reseda Beach track "Second II None" - how else were you involved in

the process of making and recording the album?

Cheapshot: I hate taking full credit, but I was the main source of inspiration for all of Reseda Beach. I would get to the studio thirty minutes before the session would start, strip down to my birthday suit to reveal my naughty-no-no and lay in the corner with a bowl of fruit mounted on my man-tits. When the guys would arrive, they would take the seats across from me and write rhymes with me in their peripheral. Oh and I also co-produced "Sugar Honey Iced Tea," "Damn," "The Cowboy Song," and was the female on "Dunky Fividends."

SOBC: Reseda Beach contains several different 'themed' tracks - a pirate song, a cowboy song, a surfer song. Was this intentional? Did you guys set out to create a diversely-themed record, or was this just the end result of you guys messing around in the studio?

Cheapshot: We were really into The Village People during the recording of this album, so once a week Tak & Ryu would have me dress up as different characters before I posed for them. Those songs came from whatever character from YMCA I was dressed up as. I recommend other rappers use this same method to develop hits in the future

RYU: We didn't set out to do theme songs, it just happened like that. It was fun, so we kept doing it, and I think those songs are entertaining and tie the album together nicely.

SOBC: Are there any other stories or memories about making this album that you want to relate?

RYU: Hahaa, I don't remember, it was so long ago! Doing the song with RZA was definitely a highlight for me personally.

Cheapshot: There was a period of time where the city shut off the water of the building we rented for our studio. Rather than calling the DWP, we just fought through it...pooping on each other's poop and peeing all over the toilet seats of the women's room until all four toilets were completely filled with feces and urine at which point we had our studio manager, Ryoji go in with a mask and pour distiller water in the back of the toilets. Ahh, the memories of that stench. Good times.

SOBC: We've heard that while Styles Of Beyond may be mostly done as a group, some of you guys have been talking about recording another brand new S.O.B. track. Anything to share about that at this point in time, and do you have any thoughts on the future status of the group as a whole?

RYU: S.O.B. can never be done as a group. We all get along as friends even aside from music. At one point when we were going through our issues with the record rabble, I think we were all burned out on S.O.B. and had to pursue other creative avenues. We are not currently recording a new album, but me, Tak, Divine Styler, and Sandman aka (Gravity Christ) have been recording for a yet untitled project. We all still work together in some capacity. If we thought the demand for a new S.O.B. album was significant enough, I don't think we would be opposed to doing a new album. We'll see what the future holds for that.

SOBC: This year saw the release of your Cheapshot's Poo Poo Platter mix CD, which featured all-Cheapshot production remixes of numerous classic hip-hop tracks. What's going on in your world of production, and what can we expect from you in the future?

Cheapshot: Not being able to do YMCA poses for RYU and Tak these last couple years has forced me into the world of production. I mainly make remixes for funsies and give them to the world as gifts (or gag gifts if you hate them). I'm currently focused on my lifelong goal of being stage manager for the Thunder Down Under show I'm Vegas. Fingers crossed!!

SOBC: RYU, you recently announced that 2012 will be the year that you start working on your own solo record. What details can you give out at this point on your solo project, and what made this year the right time to finally do a solo album?

RYU: Yeah, I have been working on a solo album this year. Unfortunately I haven't been able to give it my full attention just yet. I had to finish up the Get Busy Committee album, as well as the new Demigodz album. Now that those 2 things are done, I'm concentrating on my solo project more. The reason I decided to do it was because I was able to put the right team together creatively and production wise. I don't have a set date for the album, and am not even halfway done with it. I'll keep you posted!

SOBC: Reseda Beach was started on around the same time that you guys were working with Mike Shinoda on his Fort Minor project. Shinoda has mentioned that, after Fort Minor was put on hiatus, he put all of his 'Fort Minor energy' into working with you guys on this album. How was Shinoda involved with the album, and do you have any memories or stories to share about working with him on it?

RYU: Mike was involved with every aspect of this album. We would give him new songs that we recorded, and he would give us notes on what he liked and what we could do to make a song even better. He would help out a lot on production and overall song structure. He has a great ear, and we've been working together for a long time, so we tend to trust him. This is why we wanted him as Executive Producer of the album.

Cheapshot: Mike would refuse to come into the studio until I put my clothes on. It made me sad.

SOBC: Finally, are there any last thoughts/comments/shout-outs/promo you'd like to get out there?

Cheapshot: Check me on Friendster y'all!!

RYU: Thanks to SOBCENTRAL for the support over the years! Thanks to all the fans that got the album. Hope it stood the test of time, and was worth the wait! Also, we have a new release coming in a week or so. It's a double album combo pack which includes a previously unreleased special edition version of our 1st album 2000 Fold which includes extra songs, as well as the Megadef album all for $9.99 on iTunes. We will be releasing a few more things after that. Stay tuned, and follow us on the following fine social media outlets! Twitter; @StylesOfBeyond1 @TheRealRYU @RIBKAT @DJCheapshot and of course, Friendster and MySpace!

Awesome interview, thank you for sharing!! It's a great album, just as I expected it back in the day to be!! The bonus Razor Tag disc is really cool too, I love the 3 extra bonus tracks. I remember them playing ''Kick Me Out'' on PR07.