The Stockroom / Waves

I've yet to see a thread about these videos that have been popping up on YouTube lately, and I think that's a shame, so here we go. There are two videos of Mike giving us a tour of his studio (I think it's called The Stockroom, but I'm really, really not too sure about that) and equipment, and another video of him talking about the use of Waves Plug-Ins on The Catalyst. I thought some of you guys, audiophiles or not, would appreciate this insight into the band's writing and recording process.

Studio / Equipment Tour:

Also, because it's relevant, here's the video of him doing a brief demonstration of his MPC 1000 set up:

Waves Plug-Ins:

Now, I can tell you right now... I have a LOT of the plug-ins that Mike shows off in the Waves video and Part II of the Studio / Equipment Tour, but they're NOT cheap. To be honest, what I really wanted from the bundle that Mike talks about are the splitters and spreaders. I don't think they were in the bundle I got... but the rest that he mentions are available, if you know what to do.

Anyway, this stuff's really pro.

Also, if you notice... in the effects chain for the Catalyst vocals... you'll see Auto-Tune. But that's natural for studio recordings... Tone is a more subtle than people give it credit for, so just because a band uses Auto-Tune to clear up any discrepancies in tone doesn't mean that they can't sing or that Auto-Tune made them famous. Got it?

We all know that Chester and Mike can sing, so don't get too worried about the Auto-Tune, okay?

Parting: I kind of want to job shadow Mike. How ridiculous is that? Haha

Edited by Reflectionist

• 2 weeks later...

You do notice that the effect wasn't even selected during the video?

i think you noticed the video and audio together for the first time.

Dude the thing is there is only one cameraman "Mark", so he shoots all the videos of mike while he is talking the first time (and crops it to make it look like multicam). and then records all other stuff like protools and etc etc. and then mix it all together. thats why the stuff cannot match completely. thats the truth about LPTVs

do 1 thing watch the first few LPTVs of the ATS session. you will understand what i mean to say.

• 2 weeks later...

thats why the stuff cannot match completely. thats the truth about LPTVs

do 1 thing watch the first few LPTVs of the ATS session. you will understand what i mean to say.

Yeah, I noticed this for the first time while watching the North American Tour videos, when it said "Boston" and was showing Florida footage :-/