Xero demos & HT demos Non copyright?

1996_LP

***Mods, If this is in the wrong forum please move where appropriate :)***

Anyways, guys I'm making a short film in my film & broadcasting course at University and I was thinking of using Linkin Parks' music in the films soundtrack (Basically, the protagonist is listenening to a walkman and the xero demo tape can be heard in the background)

My Tutor is very spesific with use of music within films, so unless it is free to use, she'll require written permission etc...

So anyway, What I want to know is if I use 30 seconds of "reading my eyes" in the film, Will I be breaching copyright?

Also, I'd like to know the boadaries of what tracks I can use or not. I looked throught the "rules" in the download request forum which said The Xero Demo's and the HT demos are free to upload/share across the internet, but does that also mean they are free from all the legal babble to use in media?

and LASTLY, Would this also apply to other bands aswell, for example: Tool's 1990 demo tape "toolshed"?

Thanks. I Hope someone has some answers! :)

It essentially depends on when the band was signed. Warner owns the rights to every piece of music, released or unreleased, that LP has recorded since the day they signed with them. So the HT demos are out, all that really leaves is the Xero demo, the HTEP, and the 2-track By Myself/A Place for My Head demo that was self-released. Warner also retroactively acquires the rights to anything they re-release at a later date, so that rules out the HTEP, Reading My Eyes (even though it was a live version released on LPU 6, Warner would still obtain the rights to the musical composition), and probably the 2-track demo, Rhinestone, and Stick N' Move (since those songs were later revamped and released on Hybrid Theory).

I seriously think the only existing track that might be "free and clear" to use would probably be Fuse.

Are they going to enforce licensing on tracks like that? Probably not. That's why they've been freely available all over the Internet for so many years. But if you really want to get technical, Warner probably still owns almost everything.

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting stuff , I really had no idea that Reading My eyes & many of the Xero tracks would have been effected though. Crazy stuff.

But I guess I could take a chance. After all, its only an short amateur film I'm making anyway. That'll only be on youtube, and the worst thing they could do is block it. Just I'm still unsure if it would be better or worse to use another band. But i guess that would apply on their record label/deal wouldnt it?

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting stuff , I really had no idea that Reading My eyes & many of the Xero tracks would have been effected though. Crazy stuff.

But I guess I could take a chance. After all, its only an short amateur film I'm making anyway. That'll only be on youtube, and the worst thing they could do is block it. Just I'm still unsure if it would be better or worse to use another band. But i guess that would apply on their record label/deal wouldnt it?

http://www.jamendo.com/en/

Jamendo (legally!) hosts hundreds of albums of all types of music, many of which are released under creative commons - meaning you can use them however you want, provided you credit them in the credits. Also, Trent Reznor (NiN) has released a lot of his newer stuff under creative commons licences.

Whilst you'd probably get away with it from first-hand experience it sucks when you can't show people your video online because some douchebag has blocked it.

Hope that helps! :)

Chris