Miami student and friends to play ‘Rock Band’ for 24 hours to aid disaster relief

OXFORD — Four friends playing the video game “Rock Band” for 24 hours straight might not sound like a way to help others.

But Miami University junior Paul Levitt has a plan to benefit victims of natural disasters by doing just that.

Levitt is organizing a charity event called “Rockin’ for Relief,” which will begin at 11:59 p.m. April 23 at Memorial Park.

Levitt and three friends will play “Rock Band” for 24 hours straight to raise money for the charity Music for Relief, a nonprofit organization started by the band Linkin Park for natural disaster relief and global warming prevention.

“Like most charity events, the main incentive is to simply do something good for those less fortunate,” Levitt said. “Hopefully we will draw attention from all demographics like college kids, families, business patrons, etc.”

Levitt came up with the idea one day when he was on the Internet and saw that a group of gamers were trying to break the world record for longest “Rock Band” session to benefit the charity Child’s Play.

“I thought to myself, ‘I’d like to do something like that, too,’ and I started talking about it with a couple friends. Later, I Googled ‘how to host a charity event,’ and took it from there,” Levitt said.

Levitt is funding the event himself but said he hopes donations will come from students and local Oxford residents.

“There will be a silent auction at the event where people can donate, and proceeds will go to Music for Relief. Most businesses have been very gracious and have donated a variety of merchandise, which I will be coupling together and putting up for auction,” Levitt said.

One auction item labeled “date night” will includes dinner for two at Kona Bistro, two movie tickets from the Princess Theater and possibly a bouquet of flowers from a local florist.

Levitt and his friends also plan to solicit donations door-to-door.

“I will be asking for pledges ,similar to the way a walkathon for breast cancer or diabetes would work, where people pledge to give a dollar for every mile a participant walks. Except in this case it would be for every hour that we play the video game,” Levitt said.

Oxford City Council approved Levitt’s request to hold the event at Memorial Park.

Source

Agreed.

What if the game system over-heats?

XBox 360 ROD

But i actually had a day of gaming with my mates with out 360s and that was random games for 24 hours. (like cod saints row etc) and 360 didn't overheat or anything.