Fake promo CD's?

wiiesel

The shadow of the day one is either real or a very good fake, check this out:

http://lp-collection.net/e107_plugins/cont...php?content.295

oops...should first visit lp-collection.net next time.

both CD's are listed there but I have no press release sticker on the H! VLTG3 one...

edit: one of the biggest lp collectors (bpercy) has them in his collection. He don't collect fake's so I'm happy I wasn't fucked by the seller ^^

Edited by wiiesel

That first one is most definitely NOT fake, as has been pointed out already. I've had a copy of that for years, it even has the phone numbers for the UK division of Warner on a sticker on the back of the slipcase.

I personally have NEVER seen an example of a fake promo CD. They aren't collectible enough to be something profitable to fake. The only things people typically make fakes of are items that move a lot of copies (commercially released albums or things with high demand like HTEPs), or non-existent compilation albums that have a lot of songs on them people would like to have in one collection.

I personally have NEVER seen an example of a fake promo CD. They aren't collectible enough to be something profitable to fake. The only things people typically make fakes of are items that move a lot of copies (commercially released albums or things with high demand like HTEPs), or non-existent compilation albums that have a lot of songs on them people would like to have in one collection.

I have, but it's limited to one seller in the UK. Tried to pass off a 'Plaster UK Acetate CD' after we released the track and he got called out on the carpet on it. Also, recently spoke to another collector who bought items from this same seller where issues have cropped up with certain things sold like a Meteora promo disc when we clearly know nothing other than the SIB snippets promo was released prior to the album dropping.

Speaking of Fake Promos Here's a fake I got like a year and half ago, Luckily I didn't pay much so I'm not to hurt about it, But Kinda fucked up people do this to collector's who put there hard earned money and soul to get some of these pieces to only find its not Authentic. I also had a "German Reanimation Acetate" Turned out 2 b fake also, as it started peeling for no reason and pop, just ripped it off n felt like foil.

post-656-1267143428_thumb.jpg

I have, but it's limited to one seller in the UK. Tried to pass off a 'Plaster UK Acetate CD' after we released the track and he got called out on the carpet on it. Also, recently spoke to another collector who bought items from this same seller where issues have cropped up with certain things sold like a Meteora promo disc when we clearly know nothing other than the SIB snippets promo was released prior to the album dropping.

Wanna say the name from the seller?

The two in the first post are from a UK seller....

Wanna say the name from the seller?

The two in the first post are from a UK seller....

He's changed his accounts several times over the years but his auctions have a distinctive format to them. Most recognizable part is that it'll all be centered with shipment costs broken down in the body of the auction. I'd recognize it immediately but I cant seem to find any on eBay right now or any recently compeleted auctions.

Speaking of Fake Promos Here's a fake I got like a year and half ago, Luckily I didn't pay much so I'm not to hurt about it, But Kinda fucked up people do this to collector's who put there hard earned money and soul to get some of these pieces to only find its not Authentic. I also had a "German Reanimation Acetate" Turned out 2 b fake also, as it started peeling for no reason and pop, just ripped it off n felt like foil.

Do they make promos for albums after the album is released? If not, then a good way to tell that's fake is because of the Machine Shop logo on it. I think the first release to use the logo was Live In Texas; Reanimation - Meteora just have the text logo. I'm not totally sure though...

Actually there still are some produced, but there Watermarked Acetate'sI got a Out of Ashes Watermarked Disc just last week. This one in specifically I think your right, the Machineshop Logo wasnt used til then, I think I have the name off the top of my head for the seller but, could I b able to post it here?. I know it's wrong to rip people off like that and well thats what were all here for to stop this from happening.