CB Demos Info

Garret

I remember last year when the CB Demos came out and people were wondering when they dated from. I just watched a making of DBS episode, and Chester flat out said ''half the record that you hear was written post Minutes To Midnight, so maybe some extra time did benefit the process. If I had put it out three and a half years ago, this would be a very very different sounding record''. So there you go. 12 songs made Out Of Ashes. 6 of them are found on the CB demos and 6 are found on Out Of Ashes. I think it's safe to say that the CB demos we got were the original recordings for the album back in late 2005/2006 that the band shelved until for after Minutes To Midnight. Pretty cool fact. Keep in mind, the band wrote throughout 2007 and 2008 and into 2009 for Out Of Ashes as the band finished Minutes To Midnight writing by very early 2007 (the album was basically done being written by the end of 2006 but Mike did write WID in January 2007). I know In The Darkness appeared on Ryan's demo board in mid 2007 but that song could have very easily been written in 2007. Plus Fadeaway was called N2U by that point so it's obvious the demo of Fadeaway pre dates mid 2007 anyways. Inside Of Me and Condemned were confirmed to have been written in late 2008 when Howard wanted some big rock songs for the album that he felt were missing. End Of The World also was said to have been written later in the process along with Too Late, according to the band in an interview. I could see Crawl  Back In hailing from the same time as EOTW and shit too.

Edited by GarretLP

I just remember seeing Astat saying that these were Chester's botched attempt at recording the solo album in 2005. But today I watched that video I was talking about and Chester saying that half of the record was written post Minutes To Midnight pretty much confirmed it for me since half of Out Of Ashes wasn't on this promo CD or on Ryan's board. It's just interesting stuff to me. Morning After and 20 Eyes were both intended for the initial album too judging by Ryan's mid 2007 demo board and this CD. And like I said, Chester said Inside Of Me and Condemned were confirmed to be written in 2009 with Howard Benson when he said the album needed a few more heavy rock songs. Chester said he went home and came back the next day with both songs. CBI, Too Late (which was said to be from late in the process after MTM) and EOTW all don't appear on Ryan's mid 2007 demo board and Chester saying half the album was written post MTM tells me that those songs were written after MTM. In The Darkness was probably written in late 2006 or early to mid 2007 since it wasn't on the initial demo CD and appeared on Ryan's board in mid 2007 as Darkness. Fadeaway was already changed to N2U by that time.

First of all, you're taking the term "half" WAY too literally.

Second, I wish the original news thread was still around, because I definitely never said that, lmao. The CD runs the gamut of stuff that's clearly very early on in the process with Chester still in his Meteora-period voice (Fadeaway, Fire, Walking in Circles), stuff that sounds a lot more polished but we know was worked on early in the process (Morning After, 20 Eyes), stuff that's consistent with the arrangements we heard at early performances (My Suffering, Let Down), and stuff that's very close to the final recording (Give Me Your Name)

I personally think the tracklisting of the 8-track CD is more or less in chronological order.

Morning After and Let Down were the very first songs written for the album. Well Morning After had already existed since the 90's but Let Down was definitely the first song written for the album because both Chester and Ryan have said it 1000+ times. It was likely written in very early 2005 (January-February), possibly even written in late 2004. Morning After was probably recorded in late 2004/very early 2005, too. The demos on this promo disc might be later versions of these songs but those songs were definitely the two songs that sparked the project. Walking In Circles was first mentioned in the summer of 2005 so it was probably written in the spring of 2005 or early summer of 2005. I would say that songs like Fire and Fadeaway, etc. were written around that same time too because that's when they really started writing songs for the album. I think the recordings on this promo disc are from all kinds of different time frames and some probably aren't the very first recordings of the songs, some were probably worked on more. I do think it is the original recording of Let Down though because in 2009 Chester said ''we had originally recorded the song years ago, it was the first song we recorded for the album, and it was hard to revisit the song with Howard and record the song again, because I'm at such a better place in my life''. Also the fact that Chester literally played Let Down live in September of 2005 and even though it was acoustic the structure was different from the demo. Parts of the demo were still there but some was changed so I'm almost positive the demo we have of Let Down was the original recording he mentioned in that 2009 interview. Morning After is literally almost identical to the  version we got on Out of Ashes. Lol. Walking In Circles was also played in May 2008 and had a different structure than the demo we got so I'm sure that WIC demo was probably also the first recording of it. My Suffering, it was the same as the May 2008 live version. GMYN was written literally for Chester's wedding on December 31 2005 so he probably wrote that in the final months of 2005 or at least later 2005. He probably didn't record it at that time either for the album because he said originally it was never intended for the album so that's why it sounds way more polished than the other demos, probably because it was from way later in the process compared to some of these other demos we got.

Edited by GarretLP