2018.12.06 - ALT 92.3's Not So Silent Night

RogueSoul

We're back, baby! And so am I! Mike, Dan, and Matt are back in action for a short string of holiday-themed shows over this weekend! The first of those is tomorrow: ALT 92.3's Not So Silent Night in Brooklyn, New York!

Forget about Linkin Park's history - Mike's history in New York alone over the last year has been wild - and we've been there to witness pretty much all of it! Mike first came to New York a few nights after Post Traumatic had been released, performing a release show at the Gramercy Theater. The setlist featured all the important songs at the time - 'Running From My Shadow' and 'Ghosts' were still fresh. Unforgettable moments include Mike opening the encore with the unplanned live debut of 'I.O.U.,' a rare acapella of 'Hands Held High,' and Mark, Sanjay, Preston, my dad and I booking it to Madison Square Garden to see Thirty Seconds To Mars right afterwards. Ride or die. The next day, he performed at an Apple Store in Brooklyn, performing three songs: 'Crossing A Line,' 'Running From My Shadow,' and 'Castle Of Glass.' Mark was also at that show! Mike returned to New York City on the Outbreak Tour at the beautiful Pier 17 venue. The night featured huge surprisesL namely the live debut of 'World's On Fire,' a mashup of 'Wisdom, Justice, and Love' and 'Hands Held High,' and the first ever appearance of 'Lift Off' in a live set (over the extended bridge of 'Sorry For Now')! 'Robot Boy' was also performed for the very first time on tour as a prelude to 'World's On Fire.' A fan - David from Spain - got to come up and sing 'Papercut' and 'Good Goodbye/Bleed It Out' with Mike as well! It was an unforgettable night - that's confirmed news, because I was there.

Watch Mike perform 'World's On Fire' for the very first time live in New York City, New York - shot by yours truly.

Mike's performing third on a packed lineup, so he won't be playing for long - he's slotted for half an hour (from 7:41pm EST to 8:11pm EST, specifically). We probably shouldn't expect too much as far as surprises go - BUT Mike has done crazier things. The intro song is still anyone's guess, but we can probably expect setlist staples like 'About You,' 'Make It Up As I Go,' and 'In The End.' The good news is - this show will be in an arena as opposed to a theater, so it'll be interesting to hear how the music sounds different! There will be plenty of other acts to enjoy - CHVRCHES (a personal favorite of mine) plays just before him, with Bastille afterwards. Muse (another favorite of mine) closes out after Florence + The Machine.

Who's going? Mark and I will both be at the show! Keep an eye out on our social media for meet up details - we're thinking some time between Muse and Mike - probably around Florence + The Machine's set. Come say hi if you can!

After this show, Mike heads back to California for two more holiday shows: Alt 103.5's Not So Silent Night in San Jose and the classic KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas (which will be livestreamed!) in Inglewood. After that, Mike has a few months off before returning with another extensive European Tour in March!

We'll be keeping you updated on everything that happens at this show, so be be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates, and join the LPLive Discord for discussion with fans around the world (a couple members from the Discord will be at this show - be sure to say hi)! We just launched the new LPLive Archive YouTube Channel that is loaded with hours of rare content from the Linkin Park world, and we'll also be uploading videos from the Post Traumatic Tour there, too. Be sure to subscribe!

Check out the rest of Mike Shinoda's touring schedule here.

This was a great evening. Essentially the music starts at 7pm and doesn't end until midnight, due to there only being 3~ minutes between acts where the hosts talk and commercials play. Phew, it's like a marathon.

I enjoyed all of the acts. Foster the People was my least favorite. Muse, Death Cab For Cutie, and Mike were my favorites in order. Mike was quite sloppy at this show, messing up lyrics on at least 3 songs and rushing In The End. I think they need a full setlist rehearsal before they go on tour. About You's intro was a complete mess, like when they did Welcome with the hard start in Florida. Just play the normal intro...they had time (like 2+ mins of downtime before About You). But I did enjoy Papercut in the big arena. Not a big crowd for Mike and not many folks standing but the pit was pretty into it.

Death Cab was phenomenal. Played a great set. Muse was in prime A+ form and really rocked the place... huge sound and an epic setlist.

Would love to attend this event in the future again because you are able to see bands you enjoy but aren't too passionate about... so you get their best setlist all condensed and ready to go.