2018.11.03 - Dia De Los Deftones

RogueSoul

We're gonna jam tonight! Mike and the band are performing at the very first Dia De Los Deftones festival today in San Diego, California with the Deftones, Future, and more!

Mike returned to California last night with a hometown show in Los Angeles, making a comeback in a big way. Opening with 'Welcome' and 'Ghosts,' the set quickly took off from there with some high energy hip-hop tracks like 'When They Come For Me' and 'I.O.U.' It didn't take long for surprises to start kicking in, with the first verse and chorus of 'High Voltage' being rapped over the extended bridge of 'Sorry For Now' after Dan's drum solo. 'Kenji' returned to the setlist as well, last being played in Atlanta, Georgia a few weeks back. A piano version of 'Numb' was performed after 'In The End' before the main set closed with the killer run of 'About You,' 'Over Again,' and 'Papercut.' The encore kept things going with a dramatic opening of 'Wisdom, Justice, and Love' and 'Iridescent,' with Mike adding in 'It's Goin' Down' after 'Remember The Name' in response to the mock setlist tweet that made its rounds yesterday. To wrap it all up, grandson joined Mike for 'Running From My Shadow!' Things always stay fresh with Mike!

Watch the last half of Mike's encore in Los Angeles, California last night, featuring 'It's Goin' Down' and grandson on 'Running From My Shadow!'

Mike has been playing shows in San Diego with Linkin Park since the band's start. The first known performance there was in 2000, just after the release of Hybrid Theory while on the Kottonmouth Kings' 'Ridin' High' Tour. The band returned early the next year on their very first headlining tour, the Street Soldiers Tour, where Taproot's Stephen Richards came onstage for 'A Place For My Head.' A rowdy crowd on Projekt Revolution 2002 caused the band to have to stop and restart 'Runaway' a whole three times, which is the most the band has ever aborted a song and restarted it ever. Linkin Park returned to San Diego on the Meteora North American Tour in 2004, performing songs like 'Nobody's Listening' and 'Lying From You.' While not making it to the city on the Minutes To Midnight Tour, Linkin Park finally returned on the A Thousand Suns North American Tour in 2011, performing new songs like 'The Catalyst' and 'Burning In The Skies.' The band's most recent performance in San Diego was on The Hunting Party Tour, where they performed at the mtvU Fandom Awards, delivering awesome performances of songs like 'Guilty All The Same' and 'Wastelands.'

Tonight's show may be shorter than usual, but there's still a lot of potential for some interesting things. Most importantly is the potential for 'Lift Off' to be performed today. The song features the Deftones' Chino Moreno, who will obviously be there. The song was rumored to have been soundchecked a few days ago in Las Vegas, so it's not too far-fetched to think that the song might be performed today. Mike has been rapping what appears to be a demo verse of the song over 'Sorry For Now' throughout the tour, so he definitely has it in mind. We'll have to wait and see - but there's no more perfect time than now! The soundcheck from today didn't include 'Lift Off' (it was 'Welcome,' 'Sorry For Now,' 'Hold It Together,' and 'I.O.U.'), but we'll keep our fingers crossed. Don't underestimate the 45 minute set, either: the last one he performed at the Buzzfest in Woodlands, Texas featured grandson on 'Running From My Shadow' and a surprise 'It's Goin' Down,' so anything is still possible.

Watch this epic performance of 'Guilty All The Same' from the mtvU Fandom Awards in San Diego, California in 2014. This show took place at the same park Mike is performing at today!

Who's going to the show? Mike still has a couple of stops in California (in Anaheim and San Francisco) before he starts heading back east for shows in Utah, Colorado, and Illinois.

We'll be keeping you updated on everything that happens at this show, so be be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates, and join the LPLive Discord for discussion with fans around the world (a couple members from the Discord will be at this show - be sure to say hi)! We just launched the new LPLive Archive YouTube Channel that is loaded with hours of rare content from the Linkin Park world, and we'll also be uploading videos from the Post Traumatic Tour there, too. Be sure to subscribe!

Check out the rest of Mike Shinoda's touring schedule here.

Sharp Edges, Over Again verse 1, One More Light, Nobody Can Save Me, and Battle Symphony are all too hard for him to do emotionally. I don't think we'll see any of that right now.

Invisible next, and maybe NCSM and Battle after that.

Yep...he did the first verse like once or twice and then dropped it...When he played the first verse you could see his emotions in his eyes which is kind of rare for Mike. He was mentally fucked