Your Top 5 Shows of the Chester Era

Geki

Now that Chester is gone, it's essentially the end of an era for Linkin Park. If they do continue on in the future, it will certainly be a different era without Chester. So my question is, what are your top 5 favorite shows that the band played from Phoenix 2000 to Birmingham 2017? (Phoenix 2000 being the first known live recording we have and Birmingham 2017 being the last show ever with Chester). I'd say these:

01. Auburn 2007

This is probably my favorite show of all time. Something about it... I love the energy that the band has, I love the mixing of the DSP here, etc. Chester is on fire throughout the show and has a ton of epic banter throughout as well. Not to mention, it's also the first show of PR07, my favorite tour of all time. I can remember when we first got this DSP, being the first ever DSP. It has stuck with me all these years and I'd have to say it's my favorite show of all time.

02. Mountain View 2004

What's not to love here? PR04 was epic, we all know that. Once again, Chester was on fire here. His screaming has never sounded as good as it does during this show, IMO. Yes, we don't get Bert on Faint here, or Jonathan Davis on OSC here, but I still love the show the most out of all the PR04 shows we have. Once again, epic banter throughout the show from Chester. A.06 being played but aborted was also epic. I love the little performance of SCOM, how epic Wish was, etc. Truly one of the greatest shows to me.

03. Live In Texas 2003

Gonna go with the band's first official live album here. I got into the band in 2003 and I remember buying it when it first came out in late 2003. I loved it. Loved the CD, played it all the time, but the DVD was even better. I can't tell you how many times I watched it. It was obviously mixed and mastered in a way to make the band sound insanely good live, but they are good live. Haha. But even still, I love it. It's probably the best sounding live show we have, IMO. Full of HT and Meteora songs, it's a nice set. APFMH, OSC, what an ending here. Faint is also epic. Papercut, Points, LFY, so many epic performances. Figure.09, With You, I love it all. And we can't forget about P5hng Me A*Wy here, easily the best quality performance we will ever get of that epic song. I know a lot of people don't like LIT, but I had to include it, because it's one of my favorites.

04. Osaka 2006

Summer Sonic 2006... Japan 2006, what an epic tour. I think any fan would agree that it was one of the band's best tours with Chester. I chose Osaka here because I like that recording the best out of the 3 recordings we have from the tour. The small cut parts in the Tokyo recording, plus that one guy screaming during some songs made me love the Osaka recording the most. I must have listened to this song 1000's of times over the years. Qwerty (the epic 06 version), RME, damn. Truly an epic set. A+ performance from Chester and everyone in the band too. Chester possibly sounded the best at this tour out of his whole career with the band. I said his screaming was the best ever at Mountain View 2004, but his voice overall, singing and screaming, was great on this tour. I think that the band really had a lot of fun on this tour too, you can tell from the LPTV episode, and these recordings. It was also during a time where the band was really experimenting for the first time, making MTM throughout 2006. Overall, I think this show captured a great time in the band's history.

05. Manchester, NH 2008

I had to include this show because it was my favorite show that I attended out of all the shows I have ever attended. I didn't expect it to be, but after the show was done and I was heading home, I knew it was something special. Something about the performance here spoke to me. I was front row, right on the bar, with my best friend and my at the time girlfriend (my first love). The energy of the band was amazing, and I loved the stage layout on this tour. Chester came out with this badass looking hoodie and just blew the place apart. Epic set, too. APFMH, My December, Valentine's Day, HHH, I got to see a lot of songs that I wanted to see. It was just a really good sounding show to me and being the MTM tour and all, I loved it even more, since I'm obsessed with MTM. Overall, it's a show that I will never forget for the rest of my life and I'm glad there is a DSP of the special night.

***Honorable Mention***

Orlando 2000

Once I got into the band in 2003 and bought Meteora and then later Live In Texas in late 2003, I started going online and looking up Linkin Park message boards, etc. By 2004, I had found LPA, as well as other sites. I still was kind of a n00b at this time, so I didn't know much of anything about the band other than basic stuff. However, I came across a download of ''Live In Orlando 2000''. I had no clue what it was, but I downloaded it, and it was the recording of the Orlando 2000 show. It was the second live show I've ever heard from the band (first was LIT) but I loved it. I don't think it's a great performance, this was the band at their most raw and basic form, so I didn't include it in my top 5, but I do love the show and it holds a special place in my heart. It was still a solid performance, a lot of cool songs like And One, basically the best songs off of HT too.

Hard to condense...but these are in no particular order

1. February 20, 2004 - Las Vegas, NV (Meteora World Tour) - My very first Linkin Park show. Won floor admission and meet and great passes through LPU. Meeting Chester and the rest of the band is something I'll never forget.

2. August 1, 2007 - Phoenix, AZ (Projekt) - FIrst Projekt show ever and was able to get front row bar for this show. It poured rain so hard last night and that didn't stop them from rocking. Also caught a drum stick and Mike stood near us a few times.

3. October 5, 2008 - Dead By Sunrise - Tempe, AZ (Club Tattoo) Super small venue, and it was Dead by Sunrise. The end.

4.September 10, 2014 - Phoenix, AZ (Carnivores Tour) It was just a great fucking show.

5.May 19, 2017 - Las Vegas, NV (OML Release Show). I almost didn't go to this show, but something told me I had to. I am forever thankful that I was able to attend and see him one last time. Beautiful show with an amazing set list, and the floor even bounced which was insane.

Hard to condense...but these are in no particular order

1. February 20, 2004 - Las Vegas, NV (Meteora World Tour) - My very first Linkin Park show. Won floor admission and meet and great passes through LPU. Meeting Chester and the rest of the band is something I'll never forget.

2. August 1, 2007 - Phoenix, AZ (Projekt) - FIrst Projekt show ever and was able to get front row bar for this show. It poured rain so hard last night and that didn't stop them from rocking. Also caught a drum stick and Mike stood near us a few times.

3. October 5, 2008 - Dead By Sunrise - Tempe, AZ (Club Tattoo) Super small venue, and it was Dead by Sunrise. The end.

4.September 10, 2014 - Phoenix, AZ (Carnivores Tour) It was just a great fucking show.

5.May 19, 2017 - Las Vegas, NV (OML Release Show). I almost didn't go to this show, but something told me I had to. I am forever thankful that I was able to attend and see him one last time. Beautiful show with an amazing set list, and the floor even bounced which was insane.

Wow, you have seen some epic shows! Meteora Tour 04 and DBS debut show, I bet My Suffering sounded badass in person. I wish we had HQ version of it, being drastically different than the final version.

Wow, you have seen some epic shows! Meteora Tour 04 and DBS debut show, I bet My Suffering sounded badass in person. I wish we had HQ version of it, being drastically different than the final version.

I tried to attend as many "special event" shows as I could, it got a little bit harder as I got older :'(.

The DBS show was pretty amazing. The small venue made it that much more special too. It was nice seeing a different side to Chester.

I tried to attend as many "special event" shows as I could, it got a little bit harder as I got older :'(.

The DBS show was pretty amazing. The small venue made it that much more special too. It was nice seeing a different side to Chester.

Wow yeah, I bet it was really epic. I saw DBS twice in 2009 (NYC and Ulalume) but they didn't compare at all to how epic the Tempe 2008 show was. You essentially got to hear the ''original'' versions of Walking In Circles and My Suffering in a live setting, before they were changed for the album, since Chester started work on it with Benson in fall of 2008, after PR08. I've never heard of anyone who went to that show, the only thing I've ever seen is that low quality rip of the songs on YouTube. So that's really epic. That was a really special show to have attended. Forever jealous.

• 1 year later...

Best show of each album touring cycle:

HT: Goldsmith College 2001

Meteora: Mountain View 2004

MTM: Lots of good ones... maybe a European Summer Tour 2008 show or Hannover, MSG, Sacramento 2008

ATS: MSG 2011

LT: Summer Sonic 2013

THP: Orlando 2015 or Beijing 2015

OML: Was cut way too short in touring cycle to tell, but probably Berlin 2017?

But best 5?

Probably

1. Mountain View 2004

2. Goldsmith College 2001

3. Summer Sonic 2013

4. MSG 2011

5. Hannover 2008

Edited by GarretLP