Julien-K on Releasing Music

linkink

Straight from their FB page:

Hi JK fans, Ryan here.

Let me ask Amir's poll question in another way:

Would you like it if we released 5-7 song EP's more OFTEN, as "collections" of songs with more focused direction on each diverse EP, and played shows/toured in support of these new collections?

OR simply put out an album every 1 or 2 years w tour support after (its been my experience that its more like 2+ years - and I'm not complaining about it, just being honest)?

Im not proposing "low quality songs" - we simply don't do that (our new material may be the best we have ever created). I am also not proposing less diverse material. I am proposing releasing really really GOOD material more often (in smaller chunks) and playing out w greater frequency, rather than continuing with the classic "record/tour cycle".

I know this is a Sunday, so this post wont get as much reaction, but i want to frame the question differently as this is definitely a question we are facing right now with our new material and how we may want to release it. Honestly, I don't know if I have a preference either way, but it is a THOUGHT I am having: release a killer collection of new songs really soon, and then play some shows to promote it? Then another collection 6 months or so after? Or wait and put all the (killer) new songs we have out in a year or so?

I see good aspects in both, but your input matters to us a lot. We are a fan driven band.

It is likely that we will stick with the classic album cycle - but its fun to imagine new ways of getting music to our fans.

Chime in legions!

R

essentially, mini-albums and more frequent (but shorter) tours.

it'd be cool to have the release process sped up - less of a LP-style wait :lol: but it would depend on how short the EPs/tours would be, value for money and all...

essentially, mini-albums and more frequent (but shorter) tours.

it'd be cool to have the release process sped up - less of a LP-style wait :lol: but it would depend on how short the EPs/tours would be, value for money and all...

I agree with you! They should speed up the releasing process and I personally think they should release an EP to tide their fans over and shorten their tour a little bit... These guys are NOWHERE near mainstream... just sayin'

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a fan of this. I would rather have full length releases, I guess you can call me old fashioned, because something about the releasing EP's thing really bugs me. I hate when bands do that. I don't really mind when bands release EP's of live stuff or remixes, but I wouldn't want them to release new songs like that in that fashion. I'm not really a huge Julien-K fan, so it doesn't bother me much, but this is my opinion on this.

Edited by Geki

an EP (by definition) should be 25m in length, so if they plan on releasing multiple EPs we will probably end up with more music than is usually available on just one full-length (50-60m) album. I agree that it'll be a bit lame in the short-term between EPs, but hopefully, in the long term this means "more stuff"

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Does anyone know if Julien-K ever released Death To Digital / Death To Digital X as a physical CD release??

I have the physical copy of Death To Digital. It was a bonus CD for the Limited Edition of Death To Analog sold by Metropolis Records back in 2009.

The Death To Analog vinyl was also sold by them.