Rolling Stones Interview with Chester and Robert DeLeo

Skipees

Here's a few quotes from the Rolling Stone interview Chester and Robert DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington did, talking about the EP, writing process, and more.

--------

Featuring five songs, the EP ranges from the straight-ahead hard rock of the lead single "Out of Time" and the planned second single, "Black Heart," to "Cry, Cry," a song written by Bennington, which segues nicely into the EP's closer, the atmospheric long player "Tomorrow."

- It starts off as more straight-ahead rock & roll, but I feel like "Tomorrow" ventures off a bit – more epic – and "Cry, Cry" is a bridge between the tracks.

DeLeo: Chester wrote that one. You always have a bank of songs that are hanging out, but for this it really was a matter of erasing the board, starting over again. That was a really big inspiration for me, to have this chance to wipe the slate clean and really start over again with this new energy.

- So while it's STP, it feels like a new band.

Bennington: I really respect the decision these guys have made. I also understand how incredibly difficult having that conversation would be. At the same time, it isn't a surprise. Everybody who knows the band understands why decisions have been made. This is something I don't necessarily need – I have a great career with a great bunch of guys who I love deeply, and we make awesome music together. There's no need for me to do this, but at the same time I do realize this is their life. This is how they're gonna pay their bills and put their kids through college, this is how they're gonna want to spend the rest of their lives. So by saying yes to that means I'm 100 percent in as well. I didn't want to dick around with these guys and their future and put a year of time and work on something to go, "I don't know if I really want to tour on my downtime." You can't do that, so for me I need to make sure that I'm honoring everybody that's involved.

DeLeo: I had the complete gift, and so did Dean and Eric, of writing music with Scott, and I cherished that for as long as I could. I think now it's time to embrace this and cherish this. I feel very humbled by the fact the guys in Linkin Park are cool with this. All these guys are great dudes. It's not about music – it's about the humanity of it. They're the kind of human beings you want to be around at this point in life.

Read the rest of the article HERE where they discuss the differences of Chester being in the band compared to Scott.

Chester has been a total class act through this entire ordeal. I don't think he's taken a single shot at Scott in any of the interviews he's done about this project, when he very easily could have. It's a shame so many STP fans are going to shit all over anything he does with the band no matter what, because he's really got his head in the right place about everything that's been going on for the past few months.

For some of them it's a matter of time, I guess after the EP will released and they'll listen to the new songs, some of them will think "It's not that bad like we thought".

But yeah, Chester was and still very "cool" about all the Scott thing.

Changed up the post to make it cleaner and easier to read.

I'm crazy proud of Chester. He's handled this situation with so much class in the midst of a lot of people who haven't, and if you read the rest of the article you can see how much of a toxic environment it was for both Scott and the rest of STP, and I'm happy that STPWCB is going well.

Very excited to know that Cry Cry is the song that is written by Chester. We never truly know what the input is on the LP albums, so as a DBS/GD fan I'm extremely pumped to hear it. Also cool to know that Black Heart is probably going to be the next single. The lyrics looked good, so I can't wait to hear the melody.

I'm crazy proud of Chester. He's handled this situation with so much class in the midst of a lot of people who haven't, and if you read the rest of the article you can see how much of a toxic environment it was for both Scott and the rest of STP, and I'm happy that STPWCB is going well.

This is my favorite part - "I do my best to honor the legacy of the music."

I think STP(WCB) gonna be bigger than they ever was.