Linkin Park's lyrics

NickDuffy

I think that they have greatly improved over the whole "shut up when i'm talking to you" and "don't turn your back on me, I won't be ignored!" era, but don't you think their doomsday-esque lyrics are starting to get old? I mean it worked well on the last album but I kind of notice the same trend in "BURN IT DOWN". I hope they get back to their Minutes To Midnight style of writing.

I agree with you that they should get back to their MTM style of writing, which talked about personal issues, addiction, world politics and humanity.

ATS was too dark and too ''end of the world-ish'' to me for me to be able to say I love all the lyrics. It's awesome, but not every song.

I hope Living Things isn't all focused on the end of the world style lyrics, but rather personal issues and stuff like that.

You have to take into consideration though, a lot of was going on within the band when they were writing MTM. Chester was going through a bad divorce and he couldn't wake up in the morning without drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels, he also was doing drugs again. The rest of the band was struggling with pressure from the label and the pressure of trying to completely change the sound of the band. MTM was there most ''out there'' record. It was the most important record that LP has ever made.

BID already has quite alot of "personal stuff" back in there. Mike's rap could be about politicans/world leaders etc, but I dunno, it sounds more personal to me. plus they've done a few interveiws saying that the personal themes are back.

I do agree that MTM is their most important album though, I've certainly said it before, but MTM was the stepping stone from HT/Meteora into ATS. even if alot of the fans disliked either album, ATS couldn't have existed without MTM, and everything else the band produces from this point on will be influenced by the creative descisions made in the '06-'11 period.

Edited by LGraham

If you read the demo lyrics, BID sounds way more personal in them. I tend to be the sort of fan that would want more high-concept lyrics like the ones in ATS, but I can roll with more personal themes as long as they're not backpedaling into the whiny bullshit of HT and Meteora.

In any case, BID can easily be interpreted as a song about betrayal, a theme that usually isn't political at all. Going with what Chester said about having more personal themes about relationships, BID fits pretty well.

Burn it Down's lyrics are a lot closer to the Hybrid Theory style than anything on the previous two albums, in my opinion. There's still that hint of apocalypse and impending doom and stuff, but it's kind of taking that in a far more personal direction, more similar to Burning in the Skies than anything else. It's a lot more ambiguous and universal than most of A Thousand Suns, which is more in key with their older lyrical style.