Linkin Park to Alter Lyrics / Setlist for Abu Dhabi

XeroSoldier

Chester Bennington recently gave an interview about the upcoming show Linkin Park will be playing in Abu Dhabi on September 13th as reported earlier by the LPA, and hinted at a possible setlist change and alterations to some of the songs. Although this could potentially mean playing more hits than ATS material, this is bound to be an exciting show. Check out the article from Anna Seaman below.

ABU DHABI // The frontman of the US rock band Linkin Park yesterday told of his delight at the band’s trip to the UAE later this year to perform as part of the capital’s Formula One celebrations.

Chester Bennington said he had never before visited the Middle East and conceded that the band, known for its heavy rock style and explicit lyrics, may tone down its performance to make it more palatable for the UAE audience.

“Different cultures in the world accept different things, and we are fine with that,” said Bennington, 34.

“We occasionally do need to make changes to the lyrics or the set list and we may have to do this for Abu Dhabi, we haven’t made any final plans yet. We want to make sure everyone is happy.”

He said he had no preconceptions about playing in a Middle Eastern or Islamic country.

“I try not to predict what I’m going to experience when I visit a new place,” he said. “I am usually really surprised by how amazing a place is. I’m sure it will be the same in Abu Dhabi.”

Making judgements about people or a place before experiencing it was a limiting way of looking at life, he said.

“I have been lucky to have travelled to so many countries with the band that I don’t tend to place too much value on generalisations. People could have the same kind of generalisations about Americans and I’m sure many do. I just think the majority of people in the world are inherently good. They like good music, good food and good company. We just want to come to Abu Dhabi, play our songs and have a good time.”

Bennington, who often performs shirtless to show his many tattoos, became known as a vocalist with Linkin Park’s debut album in 2000, Hybrid Theory, which was a massive commercial success.

Flash Entertainment, the events company organising the entertainment during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, announced yesterday that the double-Grammy-Award-winning band would perform on Saturday November 13 as part of the Yasalam after-race concerts on Yas Island.

John Lickrish, the managing director of Flash, said his team could not wait to welcome the band.

“Following the rock legacy of Aerosmith last year, Linkin Park will blow audiences away at the concerts.”

Bennington also admitted to being something of an F1 fan, although he was not sure if he would be able to stay in the capital to watch the race on November 14.

“I love cars, I don’t care what kind of fast car it is. The Formula One is the most technically advanced motor race in the world and I am really excited to be part of it some way. This will not only be my first time in the UAE but my first time at Formula One.”

Source: http://lpassociation.com/

Edited by XeroSoldier

Nothing with cussing and mostly mellow songs?

That's what I read into it.

Probably nothing with obviously politically sensitive lyrics either, but HHH already has cursing in it so the only other song that might rule out is NMS. TLTGYA is about Katrina, so that should be okay. There will likely be some songs off ATS they'll have to steer clear of but they have plenty to choose from anyway.

The band had to cut Given Up and the HHH intro to Crawling from the Shanghai show last year for similar reasons. I'm sure if there are any concerns, the promoter will address them with the band long before the show takes place. Ultimately, I wouldn't expect it to mean much other than them having to cut a few songs, they might replace them with other stuff but I'm not holding my breath.

On a semi-related note, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread disappears before the end of the night. LPA removed the news post quoted in the first post of this thread less than an hour after it was posted.

Probably nothing with obviously politically sensitive lyrics either, but HHH already has cursing in it so the only other song that might rule out is NMS. TLTGYA is about Katrina, so that should be okay. There will likely be some songs off ATS they'll have to steer clear of but they have plenty to choose from anyway.

The band had to cut Given Up and the HHH intro to Crawling from the Shanghai show last year for similar reasons. I'm sure if there are any concerns, the promoter will address them with the band long before the show takes place. Ultimately, I wouldn't expect it to mean much other than them having to cut a few songs, they might replace them with other stuff but I'm not holding my breath.

On a semi-related note, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread disappears before the end of the night. LPA removed the news post quoted in the first post of this thread less than an hour after it was posted.

I have to agree with Astat, this either means they'll remove a couple of the heavier tracks or play a few more slower songs, my best bet on setlist additions would be like TLTGYA or In Pieces or something, Easier To Run? HA but I can dream XD.