"Friendly Fire" - Behind the Song

LPLStaff

Linkin Park has posted a two and a half minute "behind the song" video for "Friendly Fire" from the One More Light sessions, which is featured on the "Papercuts" greatest hits release.

Of note in the video, footage of Brad and Mike working on the song in December 2023 at Mike's home studio is featured.

Brad Delson said about the song upon its release, "Friendly Fire was always one of our favorite songs from the One More Light sessions. Something about it wasn’t quite right so as close as it got to the finish line, we chose to set it aside for later. When we started looking for an unreleased track to include on our greatest hits collection, I was blown away by the power of the song, the power of the storytelling, the power of the vocal, the sonic landscape and I actually thought that it was closer than maybe we had realized at the time.

We got together to work on it and connect some of the missing pieces that for whatever reason hadn’t revealed themselves during the recording of One More Light. I can't wait for people to hear it. It’s such a beautiful, compelling, heartbreaking, hopeful story and it really resonates with me today."

He added later, "I went to Mike's house to work on it together and just connect some of the missing pieces that for whatever reason hadn't revealed themselves during the One More Light writing sessions and it pretty quick stride. We completed what is now the finished product. It just raised its hand at the right time like a little magic trick and privilege of being able to finish it. It's certainly about conflict and despair and it's just as much about hope and love. It's such a beautiful compelling and hopeful song."