Rick Rubin Interviews Mike Shinoda

LPLStaff

3 hours ago, Justin said:

Yeah, the band has always been like that. I respect it. They're all very protective of their private lives and respectful of each other in that way as well.

They were all acutely aware of Chester's struggles and did all they could to be there for him. I believe that Mike and the rest of LP used the OML writing sessions as a sort of therapy for Chester as well as themselves. They mentioned starting the sessions with no music, and instead asking questions like "Are you ok? What's going on in your life today?" They would talk about everything, and then craft those feelings and experiences into lyrics and then eventually into full songs.

I really believe that writing Heavy and Halfway Right was therapeutic and cathartic for Chester and that he was doing better after a really bad 2016. He seemed more open about his feelings which was a good thing. He looked really healthy and happy as well. Chris Cornell's passing is what derailed everything. It seemed like Chester just never recovered from the depression that followed.

Yeah basically like 6 songs off OML are based on Chester’s feeling translated into songs by the band, therapy sessions. I believe that Chris Cornell’s death really destroyed the progress he made in 2017...