Mike Interview with AltWire

LPLStaff

Derek's AltWire is back with another interview from Mike, this time about Dropped Frames, Vol. 1!

AW: ‘Super Galaxtica’ sounds like something scooped up from a classic arcade title. From having previously worked on film soundtracks and 8-Bit Rebellion and LP Recharge, have there been a few potential video game soundtrack ideas/offers in the past that intrigued you? Are there any series you wish you could do the score for? 

MS: I haven’t been offered anything interesting, but I’m open to the idea. I play Overwatch, Fortnite, and a little bit of Minecraft; I’m also a big fan of Zelda, Halo, Metroid, and Mario. Most of those haven’t historically gone to mainstream musicians for music or done collaborations. But anything is possible. 

AW: With so much of the album rooted in experimentation and pushing you out of your comfort zones, have you discovered any new favorite instruments/synthesisers that you could potentially see fitting in with future material?  

MS: I’m getting my Teenage Engineering OP-Z fixed, so I’m excited about getting that back. And while I don’t use my MPC60 on the stream, because it’s too slow, I love that machine. 

AW: Whilst reviewing previous career material during a stream, when selecting your preferred tracks the term ‘no-brainer’ comes up a lot – are there a couple of ‘no-brainer’ favorites from ‘Dropped Frames, Vol. 1’ that immediately come to mind, and if so, why?  

MS: Super Galaxtica, Duckbot, Osiris, and El Rey Demonio are probably my favorites. Lots of little sonic gems and happy accidents in there. 

Check out the full interview here.