Fresh Art/21 Questions: Mike Shinoda

HaloXero

FN: 50 years from now, you would like for people to look back at your art and say….

Mike: “I knew I should’ve bought that when it was cheap. Fuck.”

LOL

FN: When was the last time you spoke to yourself out loud?

Mike: That’s funny. I do that whenever I say something that I know is awkward. Do you ever do that? Like when you’re leaving on a trip, and someone takes you to the airport, and they say, “Have a nice trip,” and you say, “You too,” but the second you say it, you realize they’re not going anywhere–they’re going home. Once I’m out of sight, I usually verbally berate myself quietly after doing that.

Haha, I do that too...

FN: What advice do you have for up and coming artists?

Mike: I’m not convinced there is a real reason for an artist with less than, let’s say, 30,000 fans on a mailing list to sign with a major label anymore. If you don’t have that many fans, and anyone approaches you, get their number and keep in touch. When you have a lot of fans and some serious hype, you’ll have a lot more leverage when it comes time to tell the major label “no, I want to own my website, fan club, and all my merch.”

Do I see a F*** Warner in there somewhere?

FN: Which look would you prefer to rock, the flock of seagulls cut or the REO Speedwagon mullet?

Mike: I’ve already rocked an REO Speedwagon mullet on a dare, so I guess I’d be more into trying something new.

OMG, that would be hilarious