European Summer 2008 DSP’s

Ex97

Was there ever truly an official answer as to why we never got them? In 2010 I think it was we got the Australia/NZ 2007 ones that previously we didn’t get. I’m betting they did record all those shows as DSP’s or at least the non huge mainstream festival ones and they probably forgot to give us them or something.

I don’t think it was an issue with the venues, how could it have been? The band released shows like Athens 2009 as a DSP so why not the much better Athens 2008 one?

There were some many iconic shows on that tour. Cool places like Dublin, Greece for the first time, Finland, tons of awesome places.

Maybe now that it’s 2023 and Chester has long passed we can get these? Maybe Pooch or Dylan still have them? Only us here on LPLive will care about these DSP’s just like how the mainstream never did either. 

That was very strange, indeed. I mean they released later on the Australian tour 2007, there wasn't any reason not to release those shows, but we will never know for sure. If someone asks Mike he'd say something like: I don't remember, It wasn't my thing, go ask somebody else

8 hours ago, Ex97 said:

We need Mark and Astat to ask about this but he specific not just DSP’s in general. Because the attitude about DSP’s was just oh we stopped doing them. But we’re talking about shows that were recorded and lost and just not released. They’re definitely on some hard drive or computer or something. Maybe Pooch and Dylan didn’t mix those shows but I feel like they did since we got Australia 2007. If not they could give us the DSP’s unmixed who cares. 

This has potential to be the the best LPL exclusive of all time right up there with Camden 04, MFR05, etc. 

I remember that Pooch told me that he mixed the full Monterrey 2012 show, would be really great to have my first show ever.

4 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

I remember that Pooch told me that he mixed the full Monterrey 2012 show, would be really great to have my first show ever.

In fact, didn't a couple of tracks of that show leaked from a Mike's hard drive or something? I remember the quality of those was INSANE. Another legendary non released DVD like Berlin 2014.

PS: lucky bastard, you saw one of their best encores with the Lying/Papercut medley, Faint and OSC

Just now, bloodbath said:

In fact, didn't a couple of tracks of that show leaked from a Mike's hard drive or something? I remember the quality of those was INSANE. Another legendary non released DVD like Berlin 2014.

PS: lucky bastard, you saw one of their best encores with the Lying/Papercut medley, Faint and OSC

yeah some tracks leaked the quality is really good.

i had one of the best nights of my whole life... first show ever , the show starts with APFMH, killler encore, my show gets released on a dvd damn. great times

Chester and the band were in A+ shape during 2012.

1 minute ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

yeah some tracks leaked the quality is really good.

i had one of the best nights of my whole life... first show ever , the show starts with APFMH, killler encore, my show gets released on a dvd damn. great times

Chester and the band were in A+ shape during 2012.

Doesn't bother you a bit that they only released half of the show? It wouldn't ruin my experience, but I'd be a little bit upset about it 

16 hours ago, Ex97 said:

We need Mark and Astat to ask about this but he specific not just DSP’s in general. Because the attitude about DSP’s was just oh we stopped doing them. But we’re talking about shows that were recorded and lost and just not released. They’re definitely on some hard drive or computer or something. Maybe Pooch and Dylan didn’t mix those shows but I feel like they did since we got Australia 2007. If not they could give us the DSP’s unmixed who cares. 

This has potential to be the the best LPL exclusive of all time right up there with Camden 04, MFR05, etc. 

The reasons the DSPs were stopped is because the shows weren't selling much anymore. LPL probably directly contributed to that with how much they were shared online for free for years, and torrenting after that (when LPU 9 launched). But the band said multiple times to post the shows for free everywhere - Mike even made an LPU forum thread for that lol. But this will show you the disconnect between the band / fans and the label - ultimately you have to be making money on them no matter how much the band and fans love them being shared. If they aren't selling but 20-30 copies a show then they aren't worth paying Pooch and Dylan to do (at the time). Now, there is an entirely separate topic for how piss poor LP's marketing was for them. RHCP advertised them in emails, at the shows, etc. They should have done an additional add-on when buying tickets on Ticketmaster etc for adding a $10 show recording. Metallica isn't a good comparison because they are so big they will sell a trillion copies of every show, but for LP you need some results. The label could have done much better promoting these to ensure the program would have continued. What we were left with was a random tour they stopped (with no public announcement - we had to reach out privately) when LP was on fire on stage - Vegas -> NZ/Australia 2013 when they had really great setlists. Blah.

NZ/Australia 2007 was mixed in 2009 when they were ready for release. There was a dispute with Warner Australia basically over "if people buy the show recording then it will hurt MTM sales in Australia", which is true, but come on, that's more label BS in general. It got worked out and they were released.

To date, there has never been a valid reason given for the entire 2008 Summer European Tour not being released. No one has ever said anything about that. Pooch is on record multiple times saying they recorded the shows and he wished they could be released, but it wasn't his call.

2007-2012 there were times where venues started wanting fees from local labor unions etc (not super well-versed in this topic) from bands who record their shows. There are lots of Google articles on this - look into it. You'd have to pay off the local union or something to get stuff recorded. How that is even a thing is beyond me but that is why Wantagh one year has no recording released, Mountain View, etc. And sometimes partnerships on shows like MTV (Monterrey 2012) prevent them from being released due to contracts signed. That isn't the standard deal at festivals though so that reason isn't why Europe 2008 wasn't released. But that is why 2012, 2008, 2007 shows were missing. And 2009 too for some shows, probably (not confirmed). I do know for a fact that MSG charges bands $40,000 to record their performances at The Garden. And LP paid that in 2008 (or whatever the 2008 rate was) to get the LP/JZ show out because of how fucking big that moment was. But for example remember we had no Wantagh 2007 (no idea how it got worked out for 2008) recording. It's all super confusing.

What needed to happen was they had someone in charge SPECIFICALLY for the live recordings and in that role you work out every kink and hiccup imaginable so shows can be released. Notice Metallica doesn't have this issue - they release every single damn show they play lol. If they play their instruments on stage, it's released.

46 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

The reasons the DSPs were stopped is because the shows weren't selling much anymore. LPL probably directly contributed to that with how much they were shared online for free for years, and torrenting after that (when LPU 9 launched). But the band said multiple times to post the shows for free everywhere - Mike even made an LPU forum thread for that lol. But this will show you the disconnect between the band / fans and the label - ultimately you have to be making money on them no matter how much the band and fans love them being shared. If they aren't selling but 20-30 copies a show then they aren't worth paying Pooch and Dylan to do (at the time). Now, there is an entirely separate topic for how piss poor LP's marketing was for them. RHCP advertised them in emails, at the shows, etc. They should have done an additional add-on when buying tickets on Ticketmaster etc for adding a $10 show recording. Metallica isn't a good comparison because they are so big they will sell a trillion copies of every show, but for LP you need some results. The label could have done much better promoting these to ensure the program would have continued. What we were left with was a random tour they stopped (with no public announcement - we had to reach out privately) when LP was on fire on stage - Vegas -> NZ/Australia 2013 when they had really great setlists. Blah.

NZ/Australia 2007 was mixed in 2009 when they were ready for release. There was a dispute with Warner Australia basically over "if people buy the show recording then it will hurt MTM sales in Australia", which is true, but come on, that's more label BS in general. It got worked out and they were released.

To date, there has never been a valid reason given for the entire 2008 Summer European Tour not being released. No one has ever said anything about that. Pooch is on record multiple times saying they recorded the shows and he wished they could be released, but it wasn't his call.

2007-2012 there were times where venues started wanting fees from local labor unions etc (not super well-versed in this topic) from bands who record their shows. There are lots of Google articles on this - look into it. You'd have to pay off the local union or something to get stuff recorded. How that is even a thing is beyond me but that is why Wantagh one year has no recording released, Mountain View, etc. And sometimes partnerships on shows like MTV (Monterrey 2012) prevent them from being released due to contracts signed. That isn't the standard deal at festivals though so that reason isn't why Europe 2008 wasn't released. But that is why 2012, 2008, 2007 shows were missing. And 2009 too for some shows, probably (not confirmed). I do know for a fact that MSG charges bands $40,000 to record their performances at The Garden. And LP paid that in 2008 (or whatever the 2008 rate was) to get the LP/JZ show out because of how fucking big that moment was. But for example remember we had no Wantagh 2007 (no idea how it got worked out for 2008) recording. It's all super confusing.

What needed to happen was they had someone in charge SPECIFICALLY for the live recordings and in that role you work out every kink and hiccup imaginable so shows can be released. Notice Metallica doesn't have this issue - they release every single damn show they play lol. If they play their instruments on stage, it's released.

So, the short answer would be that the project was a mess from minute 0. I don't get why LP encouraged to share the shows. In fact, who initiated that idea at first? Seems like they knew that recording and selling every show was going to be overwhelming for their crew, maybe self sabotaging? Cold hard truth is, they aren't released because no one wants to enter a legal battle to make happy a tiny fraction of the fanbase, I mean us