What is the "holy grail" now?

Astat

We could do a kickstarter for the Ostrick stuff going. And we'd need to know for sure that he would really do it if the amount of money was reached. It can be done, it just needs the right promotion. Just look at the LPU auctions, people toss out tons of money for overpriced stuff. Unless there's a millionare amongst us, no one alone should carry the costs for this, you'll never get the money back, no matter how good it is. It has to be a community thing.

Like Nick already said, this and the Xero show are on of the true holy grails. We've been really lucky with most of the cool stuff, the band/label/management kinda makes it extra hard for us since they often obtain the footage and have the only copy.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could do a kickstarter for the Ostrick stuff going. And we'd need to know for sure that he would really do it if the amount of money was reached. It can be done, it just needs the right promotion. Just look at the LPU auctions, people toss out tons of money for overpriced stuff. Unless there's a millionare amongst us, no one alone should carry the costs for this, you'll never get the money back, no matter how good it is. It has to be a community thing.

Like Nick already said, this and the Xero show are on of the true holy grails. We've been really lucky with most of the cool stuff, the band/label/management kinda makes it extra hard for us since they often obtain the footage and have the only copy.

This is a great idea but wouldn't it be a problem if Warner find out about this? Edited by lpliveusername

We could do a kickstarter for the Ostrick stuff going.

your best idea so far. but who knows what we really get? did he ever release info about his tapes? and how much money he want? (i remember Mark drop something about 25K).

I'd support it, but (I'm sure this goes without saying) yes, you'd need to make sure that the owner of the tape wasn't just bluffing - you can't raise $25k(+?) if that person was just giving a high price as a way of saying no.

you'd also have to make sure that you were clear on what exactly you were paying for - the full un-edited tapes of both a rehearsal and a HT-era show would be off-the-chain awesome to get hold of, but is that even on offer, is that what the original price was for?

I was so excited when I first came across those snippets of LP in their early days, and I would love to see a full copy, but if the taper's already asked for a shed-load of money, we'd better be damned clear as to what we'd be paying for...

As much as I agree that a Kickstarterf would be good, why are we doing it for something like this which I think is still quite hard to get when we had Mike say to Narc that if we started a kickstarter fund for DSPs pre 2007, it would most likely turn into a sucess. He said, the files are they and are avaliable, but the problem is getting the $$ to recover these bad boys.

If we do a Kickstarter, we should start with the most probable things we can get (like Pez said, pre-2007 DSPs would be a good place to start). If all goes well we can gradually work our way up into harder to get exclusives.

As much as I agree that a Kickstarterf would be good, why are we doing it for something like this which I think is still quite hard to get when we had Mike say to Narc that if we started a kickstarter fund for DSPs pre 2007, it would most likely turn into a sucess. He said, the files are they and are avaliable, but the problem is getting the $$ to recover these bad boys.

If the band or management would reply to a single thing we've sent them about DSPs, I'd be glad to get this started. I've emailed, called and tweeted....zero replies.

If the band or management would reply to a single thing we've sent them about DSPs, I'd be glad to get this started. I've emailed, called and tweeted....zero replies.

Did you try regular mail? Pony Express? Singing telegram? Carrier pigeon?

My December, KROQ AAC 2001 first night.

I don't think it's from that show. Just watched it. There was no such angle on My December. Maybe it is a picture someone took from the audience.

Edited by wiiesel

I don't think it's from that show. Just watched it. There was no such angle on My December. Maybe it is a picture someone took from the audience.

It HAS to be from that show. That was the only time Mike ever used an MPC for a live performance of My December.

the clothes dont match with kroq night 1

You're right, my bad. It's actually from Docklands 2001, I forgot they played My December towards the end of that tour. The clothes and stage match with that show, although that particular screenshot doesn't seem to be anywhere in the proshot footage...odd.

It HAS to be from that show. That was the only time Mike ever used an MPC for a live performance of My December.

In my opinion Mike played My December on his MPC many times, not only in Docklands and kroq aac 01 1st night shows. I think he started using keyboard around 2003.

In my opinion Mike played My December on his MPC many times, not only in Docklands and kroq aac 01 1st night shows. I think he started using keyboard around 2003.

First time he used a piano (except for the debut KROQ 2000 performance) on My December was KROQ 2001 second night. He did so for every performance after that. So the only used an MPC for a dozen or so performances - the end of the Europe tour where they added My December to the setlist (starting with Manchester) and the Countdown to Revolution tour/holiday radio shows before KROQ second night.

Did you try regular mail? Pony Express? Singing telegram? Carrier pigeon?

I would love to be in the office that gets handed a pigeon from us lot.

I do think that pre-2007 DSPs are something we seem to "know" won't be released, at least we can communicate with the owner of the Ostrick Tapes. i would far rather see money raised to something that we actually know will be handed over if we raise the $$

I pretty much think anything that is in the hands of the label will be unattainable.. stuff like early DSP/live audio, certain demos, LPTV (Making of MTM ''Webster Hall Version''), etc. I think the Ostrick tapes would be a good bet, but it would be absurd to pay the amount he wants for them. I would feel undeserving to see them for free, but it would be a good exclusive. The stuff I want is a couple live bootlegs (BOW 06 full, some more PR04 bootlegs), that's really all that I want badly.

Ostrick seems like a professional who I guess makes a living from these thing so he has every right to sell it. He's asking for a lot of money and he seems to know that he can. He recorded this when they were an unknown band and LP is now one of the biggest bands in the world. I guess we can call him lucky, how often does that happen (so jackpot for him) and he knows for sure how valuable this stuff is now. I guess there's still room of negociation about the final price but he's the only person with it, so there's not much you can do about it.

This might be one of only very few things that can be sold and are not licensed under Warner or something like that. And keep in mind he's probably only able to sell this once.

Maybe it also so much because it includes the full rights? I don't know much about copyrights in the US, maybe someone knows more about this.

I pretty much think anything that is in the hands of the label will be unattainable.. stuff like early DSP/live audio, certain demos, LPTV (Making of MTM ''Webster Hall Version''), etc. I think the Ostrick tapes would be a good bet, but it would be absurd to pay the amount he wants for them. I would feel undeserving to see them for free, but it would be a good exclusive. The stuff I want is a couple live bootlegs (BOW 06 full, some more PR04 bootlegs), that's really all that I want badly.

I'm pretty sure eventually we will get some early DSPs. I mean your first sentence is proved wrong just by High Voltage from Wantagh 2001 becoming available a month or so ago haha. We will definitely get more demos on LPU CDs too. Pictureboard I think will surface one day too.

I'm pretty sure eventually we will get some early DSPs. I mean your first sentence is proved wrong just by High Voltage from Wantagh 2001 becoming available a month or so ago haha. We will definitely get more demos on LPU CDs too. Pictureboard I think will surface one day too.

I meant LPL it would be hard to obtain that stuff, since it's all officially released.

Random ass question (but actually relating to our discussion somehow): If they decide to release pre-2007 DSPs, would you guys release them here?

what's the difference between pre-2007 to 2007-today? if they will officially release them it's obvious - no.