A Thousand Suns: One Year Later

hahninator

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linkin Park became sellouts as soon as Minutes to Midnight came out.

And i agree with spraypaintninkpens for some point but not at all.

For MTM they writing guaranteed radio hit songs. Pop is 1000 times more popular than Rock and Hip Hop. It's purely marketing. They just wanted to touch the masses for popularity.

Or for ATS it's different, Except Iridescent, there is no radio hit in this album. That's why i Prefer it. Of course nothing and nobody can take away the old stuff from us.

HT EP > HT > Meteora > ATS > MTM

And please people don't call LP Nu-Metal. LP is LP.

Edited by haimu

There are alot of nuances in the album that most kids wouldnt get.....hell I just realized them in the past month.. The album has a deepness to the lyrics and instrumentation that not many bands can actually accomplish.

...I think you just summed up why a lot of people don't like ATS, maybe it just comes down to that they simply don't get it. It went over their heads. People don't like things that confuse them. They also don't like change.

I'm not even gonna TOUCH the "sell-out" thing. That's just pure bull and everyone who knows what the term means knows that, and everyone else is never going to listen.

That outta the way, my opinion of ATS actually hasn't changed much in the past year. It tied (w/Reanimation) for my favorite album and stayed there. Actually, what it did was change my perception of MTM. MTM went on a bit of a roller coaster ride for me. At first I didn't care for it, then it quickly grew on me, then it faded, then ATS came out and shoved MTM to the back. I think MTM pales in comparison to ATS. Not to be taken that I don't like MTM, I just don't listen to it as often.

For me it's now: ATS=Reanimation>HT>Meteora=MTM.

My favs from ATS are probably Iridescent and Wretches & Kings.

I gotta say, this was a fun thread to read. :)

Some of you say how ATS is the most radio friendly thing around and some of you say it's not radio at all. If you think LP is selling out, at least agree lol.

For MTM they writing guaranteed radio hit songs. Pop is 1000 times more popular than Rock and Hip Hop. It's purely marketing. They just wanted to touch the masses for popularity.

Yeah, so that's why everything charted well? What the hell even charted from MTM? WID, BIO and SOTD. LOATR and GU did nothing. WID and BIO are rock and rap-rock. SOTD is pop-ish. Your argument doesn't add up. Sorry.

Whatever, they doing music from their heart, not because of money, they trying new things. For me ATS is the best album, behind MTM. So: MTM>ATS>HT>MT. But everyone got their own taste, but who said that LP is selling out, they don't know nothing about LP! Long Life Linkin Park!

What do you think about "A Thousand Suns" one year later? Does it still have the same effect when you listen to it now versus when you first heard it? What are your top songs from the album? And how does this album compare to the previous albums by Linkin Park for you? And finally, will 'Robot Boy' ever see the light of day on a stage?

Discuss!

I feel pretty much the same as I did with it a year ago. I like that they went beyond their comfort zone to deliver a new work. I like the experimentation with sounds in some places. It still reminds me so much of the musical project Enigma (yeah, the same one with "Sadeness," "Return to Innocence," "Age of Loneliness").

My favorite tracks remain "The Messenger" (lots of stuff happened to me in the last year or so), especially the live version, "When They Come For Me," and "Waiting for the End."

It's good...I listen to it a lot, but it's not my favorite one by them ("Meteora"). They're growing and changing their style, and as long as I'm not "Good Lord, what the hell is this crap?" on consecutive albums, I'll still check them out whenever something new comes along.

Oh yeah, I meant to say, about Robot Boy being played live... I feel like everyone forgot the reason they gave for not playing it, which was that it has something like 15 vocal layers, and that's just not doable live. I don't think they're ever going to play it, or at least not for a very very long time, and only if they give in to sampling the layers, and I feel like that's something they really don't want to do. It wouldn't really come out right.

Also, I got ahold of some new/old speakers today (they have to be connected w/copper wire, that's how old they are, but they still sound amazing). First thing I did when got them all connected was put ATS on to test them out. I knew that was the right album to test them out to. After re-listening to the album in a completely new format, it is more amazing than ever.

And it reminded me of when I made my mom listen to ATS in full with me right after I got it. When it ended, she basically told me that all the people who dismissed the band with the style change were out of their minds.