What do you expect of LP's 5th album

It would be such a left turn from them aswell with all the casual listeners thinkin LP have gone 'soft' since MtM.

I though for a while this would be a good reason for LP to make a super heavy album and surprise everyone. But I don't believe in it anymore. If we look at LP music between 2007 and now, if we look at Mike recent music suggestions, if we look at LP web-radio,....it's obvious LP have indeed gone soft. Their music tastes have drastically changed since the HT-Meteora era, and 90% of the stuff they like now is alternative/ballads/rap/electronica. So how could they create something heavy? I can't picture myself Mike listening to Vampire Weekend, and then working on a metal song....

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect the band to surprise me the way they did with ATS. MtM and Meteora were good, but there was nothing special about those albums. HT and ATS was their most exciting albums in terms of what they presented.

I expect an album that is entirely the LP we've known since 2000 but the elements are presented in such a different and creative way that it seems like the band took another left turn when in fact, they were merely building upon the bricks they already laid and inverted HT and MtM to make their sound new and fresh.

I though for a while this would be a good reason for LP to make a super heavy album and surprise everyone. But I don't believe in it anymore. If we look at LP music between 2007 and now, if we look at Mike recent music suggestions, if we look at LP web-radio,....it's obvious LP have indeed gone soft. Their music tastes have drastically changed since the HT-Meteora era, and 90% of the stuff they like now is alternative/ballads/rap/electronica. So how could they create something heavy? I can't picture myself Mike listening to Vampire Weekend, and then working on a metal song....

I see what you mean there, I can recall any 'heavy' artists that the majority of the majority of the band like nowadays. But i guess we can just hope for more songs like W&K, WTCFM and even Blackout. Thats the direction they should proggress into imo.

LESS BALLAD! Damn, MTM and ATS (and even b-sides) are made 70/80% of that.Not that I don't like it, but if they continue in this direction, live shows will become sleepy.

Next record could be hip hop or electro or pop...I don't care much, but more energy please!

My secret dream would be a really heavy record though, but I'm almost sure it won't happen...

This is what i'm looking for. Come out with a bang. Something like "Given Up" and "No More Sorrow", but with more of a hip-hop edge. I mean they could pull off an album that makes ATS look like nothing, but I guarantee they will never do it. If they continue in the direction of drum machines and soft ballads, they will never be the same band they once were.

This is less of an expectation, but more of a request. Throw in some more guitars, throw in some more screaming, and rap a little more too. I don't want to see this band try to forge a new identity on every track. Who knows, if they continue that route, we will have a dance song with Japanese flutes, or a ballad with robots.

-----

Edited by Mystery

This is what i'm looking for. Come out with a bang. Something like "Given Up" and "No More Sorrow", but with more of a hip-hop edge. I mean they could pull off an album that makes ATS look like nothing, but I guarantee they will never do it. If they continue in the direction of drum machines and soft ballads, they will never be the same band they once were.

This is less of an expectation, but more of a request. Throw in some more guitars, throw in some more screaming, and rap a little more too. I don't want to see this band try to forge a new identity on every track. Who knows, if they continue that route, we will have a dance song with Japanese flutes, or a ballad with robots.

-----

i comepletely agree

Throw in some more guitars, throw in some more screaming, and rap a little more too. I don't want to see this band try to forge a new identity on every track. Who knows, if they continue that route, we will have a dance song with Japanese flutes, or a ballad with robots.

-----

Your request sounds an awful lot like Hybrid Theory and Meteora.... Now you most likely don't want HT III but if you reread that sentence it summarizes LP from 2000-2006 almost perfectly.

To be honest, I'd prefer some crazy original song like you mentioned over an old-school-LP-esque song any day, no matter if I hated it. That way they keep progressing and don't rely on the elements they've already mastered. They can save that for the LPU or something.

I enjoyed ATS but this is what I don't understand...

They are trying to not limit their 'creativity' by conforming to a sound... okay reasonable.

But by (quote) "throwing out an idea as soon as it sounded familiar", doesn't that limit creativity? Boundaries occur when you don't allow for something to occur - that's a boundary.

An album that is truly 'free' would be one that they went in writing with no hopes of what it would turn out like (if it's like ATS- fine, if it was like HT- fine, etc)

They could've made a heavy rap/rock album that DIDN'T sound like HT/M. They make it seem like if they went heavy, that's all they could do.

As a musician, I consider their instrumentals to be very simplistic, so they could improve that while going heavier. They could have crazy piano parts (like Muse) with complex drums and mesmerizing guitar riffs. I dunno, I feel like they're being slightly stubborn about this. Now that they made it such a big deal about going back, even if they wanted to, they won't.

They are trying to not limit their 'creativity' by conforming to a sound... okay reasonable.

But by (quote) "throwing out an idea as soon as it sounded familiar", doesn't that limit creativity? Boundaries occur when you don't allow for something to occur - that's a boundary

Well done, I couldn't have said it better. Mike should see this!

+1

I enjoyed ATS but this is what I don't understand...

But by (quote) "throwing out an idea as soon as it sounded familiar", doesn't that limit creativity? Boundaries occur when you don't allow for something to occur - that's a boundary.

An album that is truly 'free' would be one that they went in writing with no hopes of what it would turn out like (if it's like ATS- fine, if it was like HT- fine, etc)

They could've made a heavy rap/rock album that DIDN'T sound like HT/M. They make it seem like if they went heavy, that's all they could do.

As a musician, I consider their instrumentals to be very simplistic, so they could improve that while going heavier. They could have crazy piano parts (like Muse) with complex drums and mesmerizing guitar riffs. I dunno, I feel like they're being slightly stubborn about this. Now that they made it such a big deal about going back, even if they wanted to, they won't.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think they did exactly what you say.

Mike has said very often that whenever the band heard an idea that sounded like something they did before, they felt bored with it. It's not like they said oh, that sounds sort of like Hybrid Theory, get rid of it right now. They're just bored with that sound/they don't like it anymore.

The fact that song ideas that sounded like older stuff even came up in the first place shows that they weren't placing boundaries on themselves, they just didn't like any of them.

I think people will yell at me saying "LP won't go back to old styles" etc, etc, but yeah. I made a playlist of non-album & B-side tracks from LP, and kinda set them up to how I feel, if they were an album, would have a good flow. Obviously since they're already released, they won't be on the 5th album, but as far as style of what I expect/hope to see (mostly hope) I have this:

1) New Divide

2) Across the Line

3) Pretend to Be

4) No Roads Left

5) I Have Not Begun

6) Blackbirds

7) What We Don't Know

8) QWERTY

9) We Use The Pain

10) State of the Art (I know, not LP, but that style)

11) No Way

12) Reading My Eyes (I know from Xero tape)

13) The Catalyst by NoBrain

14) We Made It (same format, but all LP, no guest)

15) The Messenger (How they do it live)

16) Bleed It Out w/ Burning In the Skies (High energy rap song, screamish chorus, sung bridge)

On a side note, this makes an enjoyable playlist.