"The Requiem" - Mike Lipsynching?

hahninator

Linkin Park's performance of "The Requiem" last night raised some eyebrows among fans. Why?

It appears that Mike lipsynched vocals for the first known time in LP live history. Watch him sing; Mike looks to be pretending to sing the actual part while the studio vocals from "The Requiem" play.

Posted Image

Check out the YouTube video

For "Fallout", it appears the studio vocals played as well, but Mike appears to be singing over them. Video of that

Your thoughts, LP fans? Is he really lip synching?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll quote my own post:

I think it's pretty obvious that he pretends to sing through a vocal filter, but it's actually just a recording.

Mark pointed it out not because he sounds like a girl, but because it's totally identical to the studio recording.

We could be wrong, of course. Need to A-B this live version and the studio version to be completely sure.

Fixed the link; sorry.

Could definately be lipsynching... :unsure:

It would be fine if they just played the intro without Mike trying to let us know he is actually singing though.

Agreed. I think he really is lipsynching this; no way they can get that to sound EXACTLY like the studio version.

You know ... It's an easy part to sing, and audio quality of the videos we've got doesn't let us judge totally if it's similar or just THE SAME track played and lip-synched.

Maybe with DSP and pro-shots videos if they'll release those.

Anyway, I think it's not - it would be a REAL disappointment.

no way they can get that to sound EXACTLY like the studio version.

Yeah there really is. His voice is so deluded and propped up by effects, that even if the tone of his voice didn't match the album, or he kinda sorta missed a note here or there, you wouldn't be able to tell.

It's not like it's particularly hard to sing either. He probably sang it really well, and the effects did the rest.

And as someone else mentioned before, there's no reason for him to lip-sync it. They could easily just play it pre-recorded. The fact that Mike even bothered to sit down on stage is proof to me that he's singing it, along with the other reasons I gave.

I will also quote what I've said in the other thread...

Yes, it sounds identical to the album version, almost sure. And I don't understand why Mike is doing that since there's no shame to only use sample of this female voice. It would make way more sense than faking a performance by him singing like a female...

But he could also sing very low along the studio recording, like somebody said. What doesn't change the fact he looks stupid with that freaking female voice IMO. :rolleyes:

Who cares if he is, at least it's not a main song lipsynching to. When he did it live during the Q&A on Kevin & Bean show it didn't sound the album version to me, maybe it was just too crappy live so he used the studio version until they could figure something out.

Why would he have a reason to? If it's the same effect as they used in the studio, then it should be easy to recreate.

I dont think he is. Actually im always 100 percent sure. in the studio version, the first verse says " will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns" but in the video the first verse says "as we burn."

And this is true, so i don't think he is.

I think it's both. First off I'm pretty sure you don't sing in to the particular vocoder he was using. You speak into it monotonously and when you play the keys on the vocoder it turns it into a sung effect. So I don't think he would really have any reason to really lip synch because it wouldn't be that hard to recreate the song. With that being said you do have to have someone playing a keyboard if he was to be using a vocoder like that. And from what I can see there was no one playing the keyboard to adjust the pitches.

I dont think he is. Actually im always 100 percent sure. in the studio version, the first verse says " will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns" but in the video the first verse says "as we burn."

This is what I hear as well. A lyric messup means that this likely isn't lipsynced.

Seriously, people, it's "The Requiem"... Who gives a shit if he lipsynches this very song? Like someone pointed out, he can just leave it for the pre-record to play and no one would give a damn. Mike has done that before - mouthing words instead of singing into the mic during Chester's parts, so it's not like he was pretending to sing or whatever, because, WELL, OBVIOUSLY, he didn't have to pretend anything (let's be honest with each other, there's nothing to prove with this song).

And again, it's "The Requiem"... I don't get why you have to make a fuss out of this, Mark. Boo, really.

that's it - mike sings "will we burn" in the album version, both verses. In the live version he did a mistake and on verse 1 we have "as we burn" - just to shut up all of you haters he did it right in the second verse, singing "will we burn" correctly. Anyway, starting "female-like" chorus are done by him as well and sound different from the album ones.

Point.