It Leaked (ATS/LT/The Hunting Party)

Chesterchaz

I lol'ed so hard when I read that! :) (though Meteora will always be my baby)

I also find it funny When They Come For You is either a LOVE or HATE song. When I first heard it I couldn't get past Monkey Mike, but Chester saved that song for me. I wish they hadn't screwed with his voice so much. Chester is from the rare breed that has a true singing voice that doesn't need to be "fixed" with computers. And I'll go with the majority of nay-sayers who want more tradional guitar because I prefer rock music compared to electronic. I'm not saying that the songs "suck" without it, but I don't like the heavy electronic influence (especially on Blackout) personally.

Still I think LP did a really good job with this album (what I've heard anyways).

you'll love the messenger then! and from what i've seen, Robot Boy is more of that love it or hate it song. i see a bunch of people that list it as their least favorite song on the record, but myself and a few others ive seen list it as our favorite.. The thing about this album is that it has helped me realize why i love linkin park so much; yes i got into linkin park because of the heavy "nu-metal" sound, but in the end its all about a great beat, and a beautiful/catchy vocal melody or rap verse sung overtop of great backing musical progressions, whether it be heavy guitars or a synth pad or bass line or whatever.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ATS reminds me a lot of the Michael Cretu project, Enigma, and was something I used to listen to quite a bit 10-15 years ago. It fits that "mold" perfect because it's hard to describe those albums. I've only listened a couple of times, so I have yet to figure out any favorites.

I haven't read through much of anyone else's comments, maybe the first few and the last couple of pages, so I don't know if anyone else has made such a comparison. Just my thoughts...

I didn't listen to the record yet but why has this album to rock? There have to be guitars? There has to be some screaming? Well, I think it has to be good music...

And music can be everything, not only screaming and guitar...

so true

It took me ages to warm to the catalyst and now I like the song, i listened to it over and over and over to get used to it. But it's weird, when i listen to the album I almost feel like the song doesn't fit too well, it seems the most out of place song on the album!

I feel the catalyst does not sound like the rest of the album but still think it fits in

All of you children who rush to defend this piece of crap are laughable. You sound like someone insulted your mother. Sometimes I forget how young most of you are, younger folks tend to be drawn towards pop music like this. this album will hurt this band in the long run.

Not all of us like pop music. I am 17, and a lot of the music i listen to is rock/alternative. I listen to about every genre. I like some pop music, but overall i prefer other genres of music. This album is a good album, and don't laugh at us. Wouldn't you defend something you Love?

this. people are acting as if you could only like the record if you're really young and overly obsessed with linkin park.

seriously. I like the album cause its good not cause I am a linkin park fan

Eh well I'm changing my mind it seems; I'm liking it more with every listen.

That's good

How would any of you feel if people expected you to be the same person you were ten years ago?

That is so true. I am so different from 10 years ago, People should expect the band to change over time

Let's see...this album has:

-More rapping than Minutes to Midnight (more akin to Hybrid Theory)

-More electronic-tinged songs than Minutes to Midnight (more akin to Hybrid Theory)

-More scratching than Minutes to Midnight (more akin to Hybrid Theory)

You can think what you like about the album, but saying there are no similarities between it and the music the band made in their early days is flat-out wrong.

And you sir, sound just like one of those old blowhards from a long-socially-irrelevant generation that swears "real music" died when Elvis started swinging his hips or when the Beatles landed in New York. You've got 10 years on me age-wise (meaning you probably grew up worshiping Nirvana, one of the most laughably overrated bands in the history of music, but I digress...), but at 22, I'm significantly older than the majority of LP's fanbase. Roughly 90% of the music I own was recorded before 1980. And I can say with 100% honesty that I think this is the best album Linkin Park has ever made.

Yes, that's right, for all the people who gasped at the concept or didn't have it register the first time I said it: I believe A Thousand Suns is a better album than Hybrid Theory.

I read a comment on another site yesterday that really put it in perspective for me: "R.I.P. Linkin Park. Long live Linkin Park." I would be perfectly content if for the rest of their career, Linkin Park continued to break down all perceptions of what they sound like with each successive album. The idea of what "Linkin Park" is in the eyes of their fans and the media is something that deserves to die every few years, and then be reborn according to the ideas of the only 6 people in the world who truly have the right to decide what "Linkin Park" really is at any given point in time.

really goos stuff here. I also agree that ATS is better than HT but i think its their 2nd best cd (meteora is first). that might change though.

Yeah, there's guitar in the end chorus of Iridescent, I think there are even 2 parts going at once.

The 4 songs that stood out as having significant amounts of guitar to me were The Catalyst, The Messenger, Iridescent, and Burning in the Skies. I know there's at least a little guitar in Wretches and Kings too.

I hear guitar in BITS, The Catalyst, The Messenger, and Iridescent also. But for me it seems the guitars are most present in Wretches and Kings

I lol'ed so hard when I read that! :) (though Meteora will always be my baby)

However I think we're all getting too "protective" of LP. Shocking as it is people will NOT like this album. A good portion of fans fell in love with the HT/Meteora sound. THAT's the kind of music they like. I think, just like with MTM, LP will lose fans with this, but gain much more. Still I don't think you can really critize the people who are disappointed, that much. The band has said that they gave out mixed reviews of what they thought this album would sound like. I even think Chester mentioned it at the LA laser show last night.

So yes saying it sucks isn't really a good reason, but explaining yourself for why you don't care for the album shouldn't get you flamed.

Personally, I've only heard up to Blackout, but I like it so far. Wouldn't go as far as Astat, but it's been a "good" album. Waiting For the End is the only song that's really blown me away, but I need to get the album and relisten a few times before I can give a proper review.

I also find it funny When They Come For You is either a LOVE or HATE song. When I first heard it I couldn't get past Monkey Mike, but Chester saved that song for me. I wish they hadn't screwed with his voice so much. Chester is from the rare breed that has a true singing voice that doesn't need to be "fixed" with computers. And I'll go with the majority of nay-sayers who want more tradional guitar because I prefer rock music compared to electronic. I'm not saying that the songs "suck" without it, but I don't like the heavy electronic influence (especially on Blackout) personally.

Still I think LP did a really good job with this album (what I've heard anyways).

Nice insight. I think Meteora (that might change) is their best too. But based on what you said, I like the album a bit more than you do. But that was some good words. But personally i love Mike's voice in this album.

Astat is completely right. LP like I've said before always pushed genres. This just happens to be one that isnt "conventional". Linkin Park have taken a HUGE risk with ATS. They poured their heart and soul into something that they feel is good enough to let everyone listen to. I for one support their decision to release this album, I believe it is a prime example of how Linkin Park have always separated themselves from other musicians.

Linkin Park will continue to change things up, so for people that dont like it then jump off the ride, and maybe we will see ya at the next stop.

This is so true. If you don't like it, don't come and complain about it. leave and go listen to other music.

And I can say with 100% honesty that I think this is the best album Linkin Park has ever made.

Yes, that's right, for all the people who gasped at the concept or didn't have it register the first time I said it: I believe A Thousand Suns is a better album than Hybrid Theory.

No-one should view this as a huge shock - I certainly don't. I completely and utterly agree with you. I've been a fan since the Hybrid Theory days, but the first album was upstaged by Meteora IMO. The same thing has happened yet again with A Thousand Suns. Absolutely love it.

K, here's my much-requested review.

The Requiem: Fading in with some kind of flanger/tremolo effect, is that a really distant guitar? I also hear Chester yelling way in the background. Some eerie piano and scratching...the "ooh ohh" harmonies are really eerie too. They did an awesome job manipulating Mike's voice to make it sound like a woman, the noise that builds up underneath it is awesome too. Rating: 9/10

The Radiance: Honestly I think this should've been on the same track as The Requiem, it doesn't serve much purpose on its own. The speech by Oppenheimer fits nicely, and the beat underneath it really gets me pumped up. Rating: 6/10 (only because it doesn't need to be its own track)

Burning in the Skies: The opening piano reminds me a bit of What I've Done, but it doesn't last long, once the beat and the guitar (GASP, guitar!) comes in. Nice use of time signature changes, the verses are in 6/4 and the choruses are in 4/4...the transition from Mike to Chester is seamless, really nice. Nice harmonies in the second verse, I also like how the bass is prominent in this song. The guitar solo is a nice surprise the first time you hear it, it really takes the energy of the song up a lot. The buildup to the last chorus is great, and the guitars they add to it manage to make it seem heavier even without much distortion. Not sure how I feel about Mike being tacked onto the end of the song, but otherwise I think this is a great track with huge single potential. Rating: 9/10

Empty Spaces: Not much to say, it serves as a nice bridge between Burning in the Skies and When They Come For Me, and I like how they used a bit of "megaphone Brad" here. Rating: 3/10 (I can't really give an 18-second interlude much more credit than that, regardless of how well it works in context)

When They Come For Me: As a side note, I love how there is literally no break whatsoever between the first 5 tracks on this album. Definitely an "experience" as they've been saying all along. Anyway, I love how the distorted synths and at the start of this song are syncopated to the point that it's hard to even get a grip on the rhythm for a while. The tribal drums are SICK, definitely the dopest beat on the album. Can't wait to see Rob play this live. The reference to Points of Authority and Jay-Z in the first verse are pretty witty. The line "I'm not a robot, I'm not a monkey/I will not dance even if the beat's funky" really seemed silly when I read it out of context, but it works nicely in the song. The Middle Eastern/Indian-flavored vocals on the chorus are awesome! The arpeggiated synths after the second chorus definitely give me a Muse vibe. A bit more "megaphone Brad," followed by one of the most awesome moments on the album, the abrupt fakeout ending that jumps back in with Chester's wailing vocals, it made me jump the first time I listened to this song. Awesome. Rating: 9/10

Robot Boy: The vocal harmonies on this track are amazing and I like the beat that comes in with the first verse, but I don't think this song really gets going until the synth solo kicks in about 2/3rds of the way through the song. I don't think it's "terrible" like a lot of people seem to be saying, but there's a certain degree of monotony through the first part of this track that isn't found in most other parts of the album. Once the synth solo does kick in, this song instantly goes into epic territory. I honestly don't care all that much for Chester's ad-libbed vocals over the ending of the song, I know one review said he was over-singing on The Messenger, but I would say the ending vocals on this song are a better example of that. I like the little staccato part (synth or guitar? I can't tell) at the end. I know this track was one of the earliest demos they worked on, and as far as I know, the only one from that batch that ended up making the album. Perhaps that's why it feels a little detached. Rating: 7/10

Jornada del Muerto: My favorite interlude on the CD...have we determined yet what the vocals in this are? Last I knew, the consensus seemed to be that they're Japanese. The synth solo on this is awesome! I think I hear some guitar buried under all those keyboards too. Rating: 8/10

Waiting for the End: I love the beat on this song, the synth sequence that kicks it off has that "science fiction emergency siren" vibe to it. I know some people don't care for Mike's delivery on this, but I think it's pretty cool. The dense harmonies sound great. The really stripped-back instrumental when Chester comes in is a nice touch too...more nice harmonies after the first chorus, there's even some suspended intervals in there that sound really cool. Another song with a nice prominent bass part. Yet another song with an epic synth solo, that's three in a row! Not that I mind, haha. Chester hits some AMAZING notes at the end of this song, that long sustained "holding on to what I haven't...GOOOOOOOOOOT," holy fuck that's incredible. This song is going to blow up once it's released as a single, I guarantee it. Rating: 9/10

Blackout: As much as I was pumped about Chester's screaming, I have to say this is one of my least favorite tracks on the CD. The vocal delivery and the instrumental just don't mesh well in my opinion. Maybe that was the idea, but I think either one would sound better on its own. The breakdown is pretty dope from an instrumental standpoint, but I generally don't care for chopped-up vocals, and this is no exception. Whenever I hear something like that, it gives me the impression that they tried to come up with more lyrics for that part and couldn't, so rather than repeating the chorus, they decided to "remix" it. Mike's part at the end really saves this song in my opinion, some of my favorite lyrics on the album there. When Chester joins him, it gets pretty epic. Not sure how I feel about the weird effects on the vocals at the very end though. Rating: 5/10

Wretches and Kings: Mario Savio's delivery on his speech makes me want to...well..."fight the power," haha. I'm sure that's why Mike decided to reference that song here. Love the beat on this track, not quite as good as When They Come For Me in terms of the hip-hop heavy tracks though. I'm really not sure what's up with Chester on this track, he normally has excellent diction but I never would've gotten the lyrics to the chorus right if Mike hadn't posted them. I love the way Chester's singing, I just don't care for the way he delivers the lyrics. I think my favorite part of this song is the ascending synth that plays an A in 4 octaves during the second chorus and the end of the song. I really don't care for the "front to back/side to side" part at the end, it gets repetitive and feels like filler. The re-use of the Mario Savio speech after it is cool though. I can imagine how hard it was to sync that up with music. Joe's scratching at the end is dope too, is it just me, or is he scratching a sample of the crowd's applause after the Mario Savio speech? Rating: 7/10

Wisdom, Justice, and Love: This is probably one of the saddest-sounding moments on the record. I love the morphing robot voice on the Martin Luther King speech, and the piano/choir underneath it. The only thing I don't like, unfortunately, is something that totally ruins this track and severely hampers the momentum of the album: repeating "cannot be reconciled with wisdom, justice, and love" no fewer than SIX times is seriously way too much. Not sure what they were thinking there. Rating: 4/10 (cut a couple repeats off the last line, and it'd instantly go up to about a 6 or 7)

Iridescent: This is my favorite track on the album. Again, seamless transitions between Mike and Chester's singing parts. The little guitar interlude after the first chorus is nice, a bit U2-like, but still moves the song along nicely. Another nice guitar interlude after the second chorus...and then wow, the unison choir-like vocals are incredible. I can already visualize an entire arena of people singing this. This song could easily be destined to become an anthem if they ever release it as a single. Rob's got some nice drum parts at the end of this track too, and hey, some guitars! Not sure what happened to the guitar solo, I guess they decided not to use it, but I don't think it hampers the song at all. Rating: 10/10

Fallout: Ooh, vocoder (a lot of people seem to confuse vocoder with Auto-Tune and vice versa...this is an example of the former. T-Pain is an example of the latter. There's a big difference, kids). I love this kind of concept album stuff, re-using themes at various points. The way this song goes into The Catalyst reminds me a lot of how the keyboard interlude after Shadow of the Day goes into What I've Done. Second favorite interlude, behind Jornada del Muerto. Rating: 7.5/10

The Catalyst: Hearing this song in the context of the album really gives it new meaning. Definitely meant to be the climax of the album. I really hope they get the whole band singing those gang vocals live, it'd sound awesome. I've already given a substantial review of this song, so not a whole lot to add...love the synth solo and the way the entire mood of the song changes when it hits the "lift me up/let me go" part. I can definitely visualize explosions and all kinds of devastation going on during the ending of this song, probably why they used it in the Medal of Honor trailer. Rob's drums at the end of this one are great too, I end up air drumming to this song more often than not when I listen to it. Rating: 8/10 (up from a 7/10 on my original review)

The Messenger: Wow. This is hands-down the greatest vocal performance of Chester's career. I never thought I'd hear anything of this caliber out of him, maybe out of 2004 Chester, but not 2010 Chester. The one review that pointed out he was singing "without Auto-Tune" and "way over-sings it" had me thinking I'd be cringing at off-key notes left and right, but he really nails it. I love the understated instrumentation on this song, as far as I can tell, it's just acoustic guitar, piano, and whatever that keyboard instrument Mike was playing in the Meeting of A Thousand Suns preview video is (the one that has a bellows-type thing on it that he has to squeeze while playing, I forget what it's called but it sounds like a synthesizer crossed with an accordion). This would be my favorite song on the album if Iridescent wasn't so damn anthemic. Rating: 9.5/10

Overall, this is my favorite of Linkin Park's 4 main studio albums (and in competition with Reanimation for my favorite Linkin Park release period). They somehow managed to create a concept album where everything fits in context, yet there are a bunch of potential hit singles on it as well. With guitar being my primary instrument, part of me wishes there was a bit more of it on this album, but then again, I can't imagine these songs working with different instrumentation anyway. Definitely an album that requires a lot of digesting, there are tons of sonic layers to pick apart. I'm sure that'll go a long way in helping this album's longevity...not that it really needs much help in that department to begin with. Final rating: 9/10

The Radiance: Honestly I think this should've been on the same track as The Requiem, it doesn't serve much purpose on its own. The speech by Oppenheimer fits nicely, and the beat underneath it really gets me pumped up.

Rating: 6/10 (only because it doesn't need to be its own track)

That's what I was thinking at first, but now that I've looked at it more, it stands very well as its own track. That's the same quote in which he compares it to the radiance of a thousand suns, right? (I know he's at least the same guy)

If anything, I'd merge but keep it The Radiance and drop The Requiem.

A bit off topic but I just heard a bit of the Catalyst during the TB/BOS game (baseball) on ESPN. However the music was backing stats about CC Sabathia. :D GO YANKEES!!

lol couldn't help myself.

On topic, I agree with everyone saying that Requiem and Radiance need to be merged as one track. In face a few of these should really just be intros.

Great review Astat. Regardless of their overall outlook/view of the album, comparing your review to the tripe posted on AntiQuiet - makes me wonder how that reviewer even got work as one in the first place. The degree of detail you go into in yours is fantastic. The AntiQuiet review instead relies on what is essentially something not far removed from schoolyard bullying.

Fantastic review. Have to agree that this is now my favorite studio album by the band as well. I'm pretty positive that Jornada Del Muerto is in Japanese (kinda funny with the name of the track being in Spanish), and I'm also positive that there is a sample of applause in Wretches and Kings.

EDIT: Jornada Del Muerto was the testing site for the first atomic bomb...which was later used on the Japanese. So it's "Lift me up, let me go" being sung in Japanese. Whoa. Props, LP. That's heavy stuff.

Edited by CookieMonster

First of all this is my first post, and I needed to share my feelings about this album which I cannot find the right words to describe it yet.

let me first say that I've been a fan since about 2003 release of Meteora, at which time I was in my teens and absolutely loved to just go nuts to their music. And still do when I need it.

That being said I've always felt they did not use all of their talents. I was certain they could make 'beautiful songs' and not just rock out after rock out track, but they just didn't make them. When I heard the piano live of Pushing me away, it confirmed my suspicion and I thought they were gonna wow me with the release of MTM, but it just wasn't totally 'it', while I still love the album there was something missing.

And now comes A Thousand Suns. And I have to say 'this is it', this is what I want to hear now, at this time in my life. They managed to create something that takes you on a journey where you get treated to one masterpiece after another. With Iridescent, Waiting For The End, The Catalyst as standouts for me. An absolute masterpiece from my band Linkin Park. Top to bottom.

This is it

@Astat. Nice review. ATS is also maybe my favorite album by them (still deciding between ats and meteora). I loved your insight to the songs. I will say this though, IMO chester's part on wretches and kings is the best thing he has ever done. I love the way it sounds.

Edited by LinkinParkFan4Ever

The Messenger: Wow. This is hands-down the greatest vocal performance of Chester's career. I never thought I'd hear anything of this caliber out of him, maybe out of 2004 Chester, but not 2010 Chester. The one review that pointed out he was singing "without Auto-Tune" and "way over-sings it" had me thinking I'd be cringing at off-key notes left and right, but he really nails it. I love the understated instrumentation on this song, as far as I can tell, it's just acoustic guitar, piano, and whatever that keyboard instrument Mike was playing in the Meeting of A Thousand Suns preview video is (the one that has a bellows-type thing on it that he has to squeeze while playing, I forget what it's called but it sounds like a synthesizer crossed with an accordion). This would be my favorite song on the album if Iridescent wasn't so damn anthemic.

Rating: 9.5/10

Hey astat, nice review. I think the instrument you're talking about is the Harmonium. I took a screenshot when the video came out. Is this the one?

post-3371-1284013548.jpg

Beautifully said Astat. Finally a review that actually talks about the music IN DEPTH and musically and sonically why you felt it was good. You've said everything i felt about it.

At first i thought Brad wasn't playing the acoustic for the messenger as it was just a simple song that i know chester could do, but i was pleasantly surprised. I would like to see a complicated finger picking song on the acoustic by brad and mike on rhythm haha. but chester has mad vocals THROUGHOUT the album. That note he hit in New Divide *i think a high B right?* doesn't compare to what he does in various songs.

and does anyone else feel like in idk which song, but when chester sings the slow part *i think in the reggae type song* he sounds like a beatles song?

The one thing I'll never understand is, why do people compare this album to Meteora? Not ever Hybrid Theory or MTM, but Meteora? I swear, it's like the majority of LP fans have some kind of strange obsession thinking that the only good music LP has ever made is from Meteora when it's actually their worst studio album by far...who knows.

The one thing I'll never understand is, why do people compare this album to Meteora? Not ever Hybrid Theory or MTM, but Meteora? I swear, it's like the majority of LP fans have some kind of strange obsession thinking that the only good music LP has ever made is from Meteora when it's actually their worst studio album by far...who knows.

Well, I personally think Meteora is their best album. That's why I compare it to Meteora cause I'm not sure If ATS is better than Meteora or not.

Meteora to me was HT refined. My top two LP albums will always be Meteora and Reanimation.

The album has grown on me and has jumped up my ladder to second after Reanimation.

Nothing any artist will release or ever have released can give me the amount of satisfaction of Reanimation, it's just a flow and mash of all the sounds combined and it's a perfect match.