L.A. Listening Event for LPU Members

LPFreak64

If you're going to cross post this to LPA / LPT give me credit fools.

Cheescake :|

http://thelivemonty.blogspot.com/2010/08/thousand-suns.html

FIRST: When you hear the CD, listen to it all the way through, and make sure it's loud. Trust me. It's better.

SECOND: Here's what other people thought: Everyone accepted that it was a different approach. A lot of people made the connection though that some songs have those "old" and "hardcore" Hybrid Theory elements to them. A lot of people said it reminded them of that. On the other hand, the head of WB records said he noticed the CD was more of a "pushing the envelope" record instead of stepping back and incorporating old elements.

THIRD: Please play this CD loud.

FOURTH: Some of the songs we heard twice: Waiting for the End. Blackout. Wretches and Kings. Wisdom, Justice, and Love, Iridescent, The Requiem, The Radiance, Burning in the Skies.

1. The Requiem - This song is funny because it's actually Mike singing. I'm not saying what he sounds like, but when you hear it and think "Mike Shinoda" you can't help but laugh.

2. The Radiance - Interlude, kind of meh.

3. Burning In The Skies - This song. This song caught me from the start. The lyrics are real deep (to me) and I still remember them: "Swimming through the smoke of the bridges I have burned / Dont apologize / I'm losing what I don't deserve"

4. Empty Spaces - Another interlude. Sounds of crickets and marching and gun battles (like civil war)

5. When They Come For Me - I don't remember this song much but Chester had some amazing lyrics going on in this song.

6. Robot Boy - A really strong song. Mike sings in this one and its kind of like hes yelling at a little kid. 7. Jornada Del Muerto - An interlude. Kind of depressing because I was looking forward to this song a lot.

8. Waiting For The End - The next single. Kind of forgot about this song now though. =\

9. Blackout - Dear god. Chester screams his face off in this song. Its amazing. The last part of the song is awkward though on first listen. It transitions into a different sound and you think its the next track, but isn't.

10. Wretches And Kings - Oh dear lord. If you don't play this song at max volume then you can't judge it. Mikes rapping is ridiculous. Chester's singing is ridiculous. This song will MELT FACE LIVE.

11. Wisdom, Justice, And Love - Another interlude. This one is of a speech by MLK which gets more distorted as it goes on which leads into...

12. Iridescent - This is one of my favorite songs. It has some epic drumming (think Across the line / TLTGYA build up drumming) along with some sweet chanting, I guess? Really drew me in.

13. Fallout - Another interlude, but this one I liked. Mike took Chester's lyrics from "Burning in the Skies" (the lyrics from above) sang them, then distorted his voice. I thought it was cool.

14. The Catalyst - Lol you know.

15. The Messenger - Starts with acoustic guitar, then Chester singing with acoustic guitar, then some piano?

Edited by MrInfluXion

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lolya. Its all good. Ive got nothing to do anyways :D

Ok. haha. i have nothing to do either.

I started writing, then stopped cause i wanted cheesecake.

Anyway, it was great seeing a few of you there tonight. This album honestly gets better every time I hear it. So excited for everyone else to hear it.

I love Cheesecake

FIRST: When you hear the CD, listen to it all the way through, and make sure it's loud. Trust me. It's better.

SECOND: Here's what other people thought: Everyone accepted that it was a different approach. A lot of people made the connection though that some songs have those "old" and "hardcore" Hybrid Theory elements to them. A lot of people said it reminded them of that. On the other hand, the head of WB records said he noticed the CD was more of a "pushing the envelope" record instead of stepping back and incorporating old elements.

FOURTH: Some of the songs we heard twice: Waiting for the End. Blackout. Wretches and Kings. Wisdom, Justice, and Love, Iridescent, The Requiem, The Radiance, Burning in the Skies.

1. The Requiem - This song is funny because it's actually Mike singing. I'm not saying what he sounds like, but when you hear it and think "Mike Shinoda" you can't help but laugh.

3. Burning In The Skies - This song. This song caught me from the start. The lyrics are real deep (to me) and I still remember them: "Swimming through the smoke of the bridges I have burned / Dont apologize / I'm losing what I don't deserve"

4. Empty Spaces - Another interlude. Sounds of crickets and marching and gun battles (like civil war)

5. When They Come For Me - I don't remember this song much but Chester had some amazing lyrics going on in this song.

6. Robot Boy - A really strong song. Mike sings in this one and its kind of like hes yelling at a little kid. 7. Jornada Del Muerto - An interlude. Kind of depressing because I was looking forward to this song a lot.

8. Waiting For The End - The next single. Kind of forgot about this song now though. =\

9. Blackout - Dear god. Chester screams his face off in this song. Its amazing. The last part of the song is awkward though on first listen. It transitions into a different sound and you think its the next track, but isn't.

10. Wretches And Kings - Oh dear lord. If you don't play this song at max volume then you can't judge it. Mikes rapping is ridiculous. Chester's singing is ridiculous. This song will MELT FACE LIVE.

11. Wisdom, Justice, And Love - Another interlude. This one is of a speech by MLK which gets more distorted as it goes on which leads into...

12. Iridescent - This is one of my favorite songs. It has some epic drumming (think Across the line / TLTGYA build up drumming) along with some sweet chanting, I guess? Really drew me in.

13. Fallout - Another interlude, but this one I liked. Mike took Chester's lyrics from "Burning in the Skies" (the lyrics from above) sang them, then distorted his voice. I thought it was cool.

15. The Messenger - Starts with acoustic guitar, then Chester singing with acoustic guitar, then some piano?

dude. I can't wait to hear Burning in the skies, blackout, and Wretches and Kings. By your description they seem epic.

Everytime I listen to the album with someone else, they take something different away from it than the last person did. I wouldn't read too much into what I say or what anyone else says. My best advice is to go into this with a totally open mind. Forget the other LP records, forget what you think it will sound like, forget the catalyst even. Turn it up. Listen to it front to back. Then listen to it again. You WILL find something about this album you like. I promise.

Can anyone confirm or deny if this sounds like a FM record? I've heard conflicting reports on that.

There's one song on there that could have been a Fort Minor ft. Chester Bennington song. That does not apply to the entire album, though.

Edited by Adam

Wretches and Kings is THE song youre going to hear, then turn it up ALL THE WAY, and just rock out.

Cool. i will do that.

Everytime I listen to the album with someone else, they take something different away from it than the last person did. I wouldn't read too much into what I say or what anyone else says. My best advice is to go into this with a totally open mind. Forget the other LP records, forget what you think it will sound like, forget the catalyst even. Turn it up. Listen to it front to back. Then listen to it again. You WILL find something about this album you like. I promise.

I'm going into it with an open mind. I just like hearing what people say about it. What they say doesn't change my mind of me going into the album eith an open mind. And I know i will find something i like about this album. It will be epic.

1. I also had a comment about Tron sounding, good intro, gets you amped

2. Speech, I forgot the theme but I remember it is powerful

3. Solid much better with song 2 interlude

4. I wrote down 20 seconds of Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland.

5. Heavy, heavy song I remember there was a section with Chester signing over a Muse type electro guitar track I caught the phrase "forfeit the game!!!!!"

6. Don't recall/ Not blown away

7. Spacey noises

8. This song has EVERYTHING. Rapping/singing aggressive/ soft and the beat kicks in perfectly on every verse

9. New Favorite LP song knocking Faint of the list (NIN Great Destroyer meets New Divide techno bridge)

10. In Stereo kick with There they go pace! Full of Win Chanting Front back side to side at the end. HELL OF A LIVE SONG

11. Cool outro with a space shuttle launch noise repeats the main phrase of the speech then morphs into robotic voice!

12. Good, don't recall too much

13. Dont remember I wrote down "Steven Hawking" Yes Im going to hell but just wait and see for yourself

14. Win

15. NOT HERO OF WAR. Much more powerful but almost stripped. Fitting end to the story of ATS!

I think people will be slightly more receptive to this because the tempo is similar but due to the electronic nature of the songs it feels more aggressive

5. Heavy, heavy song I remember there was a section with Chester signing over a Muse type electro guitar track I caught the phrase "forfeit the game!!!!!"

7. Spacey noises

8. This song has EVERYTHING. Rapping/singing aggressive/ soft and the beat kicks in perfectly on every verse

9. New Favorite LP song knocking Faint of the list (NIN Great Destroyer meets New Divide techno bridge)

10. In Stereo kick with There they go pace! Full of Win Chanting Front back side to side at the end. HELL OF A LIVE SONG

11. Cool outro with a space shuttle launch noise repeats the main phrase of the speech then morphs into robotic voice!

13. Dont remember I wrote down "Steven Hawking" Yes Im going to hell but just wait and see for yourself

14. Win

15. NOT HERO OF WAR. Much more powerful but almost stripped. Fitting end to the story of ATS!

I think people will be slightly more receptive to this because the tempo is similar but due to the electronic nature of the songs it feels more aggressive

So you were the Muse guy at the end of the table? :D

7. Spacey noises

14. Win

Nice. thanks for this. With both of your guys' posts, I can't wait for the album

If your speakers are not smoking after listening to this record you've failed at the journey.

YES. God it's so funny. My co-workers weren't fans of this when we first listened a couple weeks ago, but I kept saying how awesome it was. I'm glad the fans agree!!

I will add that Blackout is odd because where TC accomplishes basically mashing two songs together, Blackout somewhat fails. Both parts are great just very very odd together. You'll shit bricks when you hear this song. If you don't know what "The Great Destroyer" is by NIN, find it.