The Catalyst Debuts at No. 35 on Billboard Hot 100

HybridThe0ry97

Billboard review of the the single "The Catalyst"

ARTIST: LINKIN PARK

SINGLE: THE CATALYST (Machine Shop Recordings/Warner Bros. Records)

For the lead single to upcoming fourth album "A Thousand Suns," Linkin Park offers a nearly six-minute anthem of aggression with two distinct parts. "The Catalyst" lets the band dip its toe into electronica in its first half, with rave-ready blips surrounding Chester Bennington's dystopian cries. At the three-minute mark, however, the track morphs into a slow, emotional dirge, with Bennington singing, "Lift me up, let me go," over a beat tailor-made for a stadium's worth of slow claps. "The Catalyst" recalls Muse's epic vocal chants as well as Green Day's political commentary, but Linkin Park creates an original, if a bit awkward, transition from twisty techno to fist-pumping rock. The band's interesting fusion of ideas -- and the fact that "Catalyst" is its first No. 1 debut on Billboard's Rock Songs chart -- proves that Linkin Park still has a few tricks up its sleeve.

Source: uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE67C4VW20100813

i don't think the single is doing very well at all, from what i can see it's doing pretty badly.

But i also wonder, since this album is so different, if they maybe opened with the single most different, to get the shock out of everyone's system before bringing out the awesomeness.

From what I understand, the Kerrang! crew are pretty meh on the single, but where pretty excited by the Six track sampler.

It's not that the Catalyst is a bad song, it has an awesome opening and a great ending, it just has a very messy and basic synth in the middle.

Edited by Smarky

i don't think the single is doing very well at all, from what i can see it's doing pretty badly.

But i also wonder, since this album is so different, if they maybe opened with the single most different, to get the shock out of everyone's system before bringing out the awesomeness.

It's not that the Catalyst is a bad song, it has an awesome opening and a great ending, it just has a very messy and basic synth in the middle.

"The Catalyst" Video Premiere - August 26, looking forward to seeing it.

But yes i am a bit worried, I have generally been the one that got pretty pissed of with the haters previously on other stuff the band has done, but have to admit, really struggling with this song.