The Official Dead By Sunrise Thread

Legend

considering alot of the DBS stuff on OOA was written throughout Chester's entire life, I doubt we'll see a new album soon. it obviously takes a while for some pieces on an acoustic that you write in your downtime to become fully fledged songs, and it's not something I forsee Chester doing alot of these days, particularly in light of his involvement with STP.

if it ever happens again, it'll take years. and I have a nasty feeling that it won't ever.

I doubt the label would even want to pick up the project again, we all saw how badly promoted the entire thing was, it's clear that someone in those offices isn't remotely interested in letting this band get anywhere...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

considering alot of the DBS stuff on OOA was written throughout Chester's entire life, I doubt we'll see a new album soon. it obviously takes a while for some pieces on an acoustic that you write in your downtime to become fully fledged songs, and it's not something I forsee Chester doing alot of these days, particularly in light of his involvement with STP.

if it ever happens again, it'll take years. and I have a nasty feeling that it won't ever.

I doubt the label would even want to pick up the project again, we all saw how badly promoted the entire thing was, it's clear that someone in those offices isn't remotely interested in letting this band get anywhere...

I don't ever recall Chester saying these songs reflect his entire life. When you compare it to how well FM sold, you have to remember that FM came out in 2005 which was a time when people still somewhat bought records instead of just downloading everything, and it also during a LP hiatus.

Edited by Geki

When you compare it to how well FM sold, you have to remember that FM came out in 2005 which was a time when people still somewhat bought records instead of just downloading everything, and it also during a LP hiatus.

and the most important thing - it was well promoted.

Mike probably had more pull than Chester because LP wasn't really doing anything besides fighting Warner Bros. at the time. The label saw an opportunity to make money during a time when their primary cash cow wasn't, so Mike got a lot of promotion (most of which he admittedly seemed to do himself) and a nice tour. Chester, meanwhile, released Out of Ashes towards the tail end of the gap between two LP albums, when everyone knew a new album was coming, and plus he wasn't even able to book a US tour. Warner didn't give a shit about the project so they let it drop as soon as they could.

It's never good when you're on a major label and your official website is a Myspace page in 2009.

Mike probably had more pull than Chester because LP wasn't really doing anything besides fighting Warner Bros. at the time. The label saw an opportunity to make money during a time when their primary cash cow wasn't, so Mike got a lot of promotion (most of which he admittedly seemed to do himself) and a nice tour. Chester, meanwhile, released Out of Ashes towards the tail end of the gap between two LP albums, when everyone knew a new album was coming, and plus he wasn't even able to book a US tour. Warner didn't give a shit about the project so they let it drop as soon as they could.

this is the best explanation i've ever heard about the tour and promotion differences between these side projects.

It's never good when you're on a major label and your official website is a Myspace page in 2009.

:lol:

I don't ever recall Chester saying these songs reflect his entire life.

not that they reflect his entire life, but that they were written during lulls in Chester's schedule.

he's got a much bigger family commitment right now, he's working with STP (or whatever they're now going to be forced to be called) and LP are in the studio on various projects here and there.

my point is, I can't see him getting the time to write solo stuff for a while yet.

Warner didn't really put much money into the FM touring either. I remember from some interview that Mike said the FM US tour was only possible because he paid mostly for it on his own. He did it as a fan service.

Warner didn't really put much money into the FM touring either. I remember from some interview that Mike said the FM US tour was only possible because he paid mostly for it on his own. He did it as a fan service.

Well, if that's the case, then it falls more on Chester as to why we didn't get a US tour.

Though, Mike is probably making more money than Chester, considering all the shit Mike does, though he wasn't doing that much stuff in 2005...

Whatever.

I don't even remember those shows at all, wow. Shows how well the tour went.

I'm lucky that I live close to NYC because most bands always play NYC and LA.

Edited by Geki

That's the problem with living in Florida - you only get shows if someone's doing a fucking decade-long tour, and even then it's one show right at the beginning so no cool setlist variations for you. Bruce has been on tour for over a year now with his latest outing and he hit Florida a whopping one time (luckily, it was in Tampa, so I made it to that one show).

fair enough.

I'm a relatively late LP fan (post '08) so I don't know much about FM really.

I never knew that.. Interesting info! Mike is a boss. You can tell he really cares about his fans and that he is really passionate when he paid for a tour from his own pocket.

Edited by Geki

• 1 year later...

The first time I'm seeing this:

“On the album, the guitars were definitely heavier – there was a bit more grip to the record before and I think the label, when they heard the songs, were like “this could be all over the radio” and they wanted us to polish it up and make it shimmery.”

http://www.devilbearrock.com/2010/05/02/ryanshuckinterview/

The first time I'm seeing this:

“On the album, the guitars were definitely heavier – there was a bit more grip to the record before and I think the label, when they heard the songs, were like “this could be all over the radio” and they wanted us to polish it up and make it shimmery.”

http://www.devilbearrock.com/2010/05/02/ryanshuckinterview/

Nice find. I didn't know that the label pushed DBS to be more commercially appealing. Could this be the reason why stuff like the early version of 'My Suffering' performed in 2008 went away for the more radio-friendly album version? I remember back in 2005 when everything about this album was described as much different from the final product in 2009. It was supposed to be more moody, dark and stripped down, which is what Ryan also said in 2012, too. But just listen to the 2005 performance of 'Let Down' and you can tell it sounds more moody, dark and stripped down. Really nice find with this quote.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I think this thread should be closed, sadly ;(;(;(

Yeah, obviously DBS won't go on without Chester, it was already a dead project basically as it was, anyways. But there may be people who still want to discuss the band's music, maybe newer fans who haven't heard all the DBS stuff.

Yeah, obviously DBS won't go on without Chester, it was already a dead project basically as it was, anyways. But there may be people who still want to discuss the band's music, maybe newer fans who haven't heard all the DBS stuff.

True, this Could help keeping Chester s memory alive

Those 6 songs he wrote back in May had to be DBS related. Don't you think?

Well, I think he actually replied to someone and said he didn't know what project they would fall under. But, it could be likely. I always thought that perhaps Chester would make something again with DBS someday. There's a lot of stuff that Chester was involved with that has never been released, and now likely will never be released. Don't forget, there are several songs he made with DBS that never made the cut for Out Of Ashes, as well as the 20 Eyes cover. He also wrote a lot of stuff with STP for the album that they were going to eventually release but that never ended up happening. Then you have stuff like the Head Like A Hole cover with Korn, the Mark Morton track, etc. None of that stuff ever ended up coming out. As a fan of Chester first and foremost, I'd love to hear all of that stuff more than any Linkin Park stuff, but I just don't see it ever happening now.

Edited by Geki

Well, I think he actually replied to someone and said he didn't know what project they would fall under. But, it could be likely. I always thought that perhaps Chester would make something again with DBS someday. There's a lot of stuff that Chester was involved with that has never been released, and now likely will never be released. Don't forget, there are several songs he made with DBS that never made the cut for Out Of Ashes, as well as the 20 Eyes cover. He also wrote a lot of stuff with STP for the album that they were going to eventually release but that never ended up happening. Then you have stuff like the Head Like A Hole cover with Korn, the Mark Morton track, etc. None of that stuff ever ended up coming out. As a fan of Chester first and foremost, I'd love to hear all of that stuff more than any Linkin Park stuff, but I just don't see it ever happening now.

I hope we get to hear some of his unreleased material someday. I know it's not appropriate now, but eventually, would Talinda be the one who would have to approve it? I'm just wondering if anything he worked on will ever see the light of day. Hoping for the best in that regard. I know you are too!