Download: 'Talking To Myself' (Radio Edit)

lpliveusername

'Talking To Myself' was described in an early Kerrang! review of One More Light as featuring "a chiming guitar line and groovy bass reminiscent of The Killers." It is without a doubt the most guitar-driven song in the album and the one that most ressembles the alternative rock sound for which Linkin Park became known following the release of Minutes To Midnight in 2007.

The song was first performed in a stripped down fashion at a Warner Bros. Records private party during Mike and Chester's acoustic tour in March 2017 and fans' reaction to the little video snippets that surfaced online was overwhelmingly positive in contrast to the controversial reception of the album's first single 'Heavy.'

The album version was debuted live exactly two months later - still prior to the studio recording being released - at Maximus Festival in Argentina and by the next show, in Chile, the entire public already knew the song. Brad commented on this during the online listening party for One More Light:

"I just watched the video of this song from Chile. And the whole crowd is jumping up and down. It was only the second time we had played the song, we hadn't released it yet. That was bananas to me. And in fact, it was so crazy I actually forgot how to play the song. I literally got so overwhelmed by that crowd response I forgot how to play the song."

The sticker that came with the album listed 'Heavy,' 'Good Goodbye' and 'Invisible' as singles. When Linkin Park went to The Late Late Show with James Corden in February to promote 'Heavy,' they secretly filmed a performance of 'Invisible' to be aired at a later date in promotion of a future single release that never happened. That show in Chile is rumored to be the reason.

In June 2017 we reported that 'Talking To Myself' would be replacing 'Invisible' as the second US single from the album, with an impact date set for July 25th, exactly 5 years ago today. The promotion for the single started on July 20th with the release of the official music video for the song. Unfortunately, this happened to be the same day of Chester Bennington's tragic passing, forcing the band to cancel their North American Tour and stop further promotion of the single - although the lyric video found its way online on the previously intended release date.

A brand new mix of 'Talking To Myself' had been created for the single release and sent to radio stations across the US just a couple of days prior to this. Some of the elements that were previously buried in the album mix were brought to the front in this new mix - for instance, the siren-like sound during the main riff and the background vocals. Strangely, both the music video and lyric video for 'Talking To Myself' features the album version of the song instead of this radio mix.

Community member StaticXero has discovered and acquired a Finnish promotional CD for 'Talking To Myself' with the radio edit, suggesting this new version was actually meant for airplay worldwide. He was gracious enough to provide us with a rip of this CD, which we believe is something many fans haven't had the opportunity of hearing, and we thought it would be appropriate to post it in what would have been the 5th anniversary of the single.

Listen or download the radio mix of 'Talking To Myself' below.

Download: FLAC / MP3

Linkinpedia page

What's your opinion on this mix in comparison to the album version?

Thank you for posting this! One More Light is my favourite LP album so it's great to have more content from this era of the band.

This sounds interesting. I wonder why they decided to change things so much in the mix. This sounds almost like a mix of the live and the studio version with these chants in the background and live drums and bass guitar being turned up in the volume. I don't know if I like this alternative version better because I'm a big fan of the polished OML sound. However, I like Talking to Myself very much so both versions are simply good songs for me. I think that maybe because of the backlash that they got for OML in general the band decided to make a more raw and rock-sounding version of the song. If someone heard this version on the radio, he or she wouldn't have a reason to complain of the pop sound that we can hear in songs such as Heavy. It's just a theory, of course, we'll never know! 

1 hour ago, xxHybridXeroxx said:

Really interesting mix. Thanks so much for this! This is an excellent exclusive! We don't have any alternate versions of album songs or OML demos except for What Are you Worth right?

Don’t forget about the demo/alternate of “Good Goodbye” with Mike’s second verse.

19 minutes ago, Coizu said:

Seems like I am the only person who prefers the album mix over this version.

I think it’s because it’s new to our ears,  the original fits more the album vibe tho TBH. I think I like this one a little bit more 

2 hours ago, Coizu said:

Seems like I am the only person who prefers the album mix over this version.

Both fit perfectly. Although this one seems less radio friendly ironically.

5 hours ago, JZ-GreyDazePatheticWorship said:

The most Coldplay song of all time

Tell me you know Coldplay without saying you haven't heard them lately.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

My speakers (Mackie CR3-X 3) tend to feel a bit bass heavy and to my ears the album mix sounded much muddier in the low end, while this alternate felt more detailed and clear. I think it helped me put my finger on something about the song that always bothered me that felt very busy and kind of smashed together whereas I’m appreciative of the space feeling more opened up in this mix. Chester’s vocal delay going into the “bridge” (?) is a good example; something that’s a bit buried on the album but is much more pronounced on the radio edit.

I was curious if it’s intent was to impact rock radio, which has already been speculated a bit, given the changes to the song that make it surprisingly less pop.

Edited by letdownagain
Holy run-on sentences, Batman!

2 hours ago, letdownagain said:

My speakers (Mackie CR3-X 3) tend to feel a bit bass heavy and to my ears the album mix sounded much muddier in the low end, while this alternate felt more detailed and clear. I think it helped me put my finger on something about the song that always bothered me that felt very busy and kind of smashed together whereas I’m appreciative of the space feeling more opened up in this mix. Chester’s vocal delay going into the “bridge” (?) is a good example; something that’s a bit buried on the album but is much more pronounced on the radio edit.

I was curious if it’s intent was to impact rock radio, which has already been speculated a bit, given the changes to the song that make it surprisingly less pop.

Yeah it’s a weird situation, the radio edit is a lot less pop and definitely “darker” (if you know what I mean) than the standard version. Weird. I mean it’s the opposite of Primo-IBG where they chose the simplest song to fit the album vibe 

Probably they wanted to give to people the same energy version as the concert version has.

Thank You StaticXero! I like this version, but I'm like 45% for this and 55% for the album version. It's really nice to have it in the collection.

There are some evidence that they registered this version and were fully ready to release it at least as a digital single. I wonder how the cover for the single was looking like.

In June 2017 we reported that 'Talking To Myself' would be replacing 'Invisible' as the second US single from the album, with an impact date set for July 25th

Source.

Brad commented on this during the online listening party for One More Light:

"I just watched the video of this song from Chile. And the whole crowd is jumping up and down. It was only the second time we had played the song, we hadn't released it yet. That was bananas to me. And in fact, it was so crazy I actually forgot how to play the song. I literally got so overwhelmed by that crowd response I forgot how to play the song."

Source.

Edited by martinez