New Grey Daze Album “The Phoenix” out now

Somebodyangry

33 minutes ago, Bambitt said:

what do you mean by In Time parts in Wake me? 

The “what‘s in me is in you” part was in the original In Time, they cut that part in the Amends version of “In time”

Edited by STRANGELOVE92

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, JZ-GreyDazePatheticWorship said:

"The only thing that bothered me was seeing the ignorance of people [who said], 'Oh, you're just trying to get rich off Chester's death,'" Dowdell said. "I spent tens of thousands of dollars of my own money to make this happen, and I was already a multimillionaire when I started this process. So me trying to make money on this is the dumbest business plan ever, because there's no money in recorded music. None."

Nice quote from Sean

If not for money, then for clout. 

Enjoying the album btw, though when I'm listening to it on my phone I do wonder why I'm listening to a Kerrang front cover...

On 6/21/2022 at 3:43 PM, JZ-GreyDazePatheticWorship said:

"The only thing that bothered me was seeing the ignorance of people [who said], 'Oh, you're just trying to get rich off Chester's death,'" Dowdell said. "I spent tens of thousands of dollars of my own money to make this happen, and I was already a multimillionaire when I started this process. So me trying to make money on this is the dumbest business plan ever, because there's no money in recorded music. None."

Nice quote from Sean

This would be believable if there weren't 10 million versions of the album. Someone, somewhere was trying to make as much money on this as possible. The entire marketing campaign from only using Chester's photo on all streaming platforms until called out, selling Chester LPU photos, etc all apply to this as well. The dude is an ego maniac.

here's my unbiased opinion on the post-Chester Grey Daze releases: i'm glad people enjoy it, but i honestly don't. both albums are so overproduced it's almost overwhelming. everything between the original vocal tracks getting violated with unnecessary pitch adjustments and the songs themselves not even reflecting the integrity of the original band. in my opinion, they're both basically just really bad takes on what LP did with Reanimation. i won't get into the morality side of it, (if Chester's family is okay with it, so am i), but sonically it's a huge disappointment. songs like She Shines, Morei Sky, and In Time i actually thought were pretty decent, and i fell in love with the acoustic EP when it came out, but like i said, some of these songs were absolutely butchered. maybe i'd have a different opinion if they didn't take on any vocal features, but my god, i can't express how bad the newly recorded guest vocals were. i probably don't have to mention how awful Sean on Starting To Fly is, but i will. the chorus in Believe Me felt really gratuitous as well. either way, these are just my opinions that shouldn't matter to anyone. i'm honestly really glad people enjoy it though, it just isn't for me. i'd much rather hear the 2 unreleased pre-production recordings from '96, hopefully the stars align and somehow we'll get our hands on it one day !

21 minutes ago, Scourge said:

here's my unbiased opinion on the post-Chester Grey Daze releases: i'm glad people enjoy it, but i honestly don't. both albums are so overproduced it's almost overwhelming. everything between the original vocal tracks getting violated with unnecessary pitch adjustments and the songs themselves not even reflecting the integrity of the original band. in my opinion, they're both basically just really bad takes on what LP did with Reanimation. i won't get into the morality side of it, (if Chester's family is okay with it, so am i), but sonically it's a huge disappointment. songs like She Shines, Morei Sky, and In Time i actually thought were pretty decent, and i fell in love with the acoustic EP when it came out, but like i said, some of these songs were absolutely butchered. maybe i'd have a different opinion if they didn't take on any vocal features, but my god, i can't express how bad the newly recorded guest vocals were. i probably don't have to mention how awful Sean on Starting To Fly is, but i will. the chorus in Believe Me felt really gratuitous as well. either way, these are just my opinions that shouldn't matter to anyone. i'm honestly really glad people enjoy it though, it just isn't for me. i'd much rather hear the 2 unreleased pre-production recordings from '96, hopefully the stars align and somehow we'll get our hands on it one day !

Totally disagree with almost everything you said because I couldn’t care less about the old songs now that we got the new ones, and I think Richard Patrick on Believe me is one of the best things on the record, BUT I’m really happy you took time to give the album a chance and expressed an opinion not influenced by your personal feelings about Sean and Mace and the “cashgrab” thing. 😊

1 hour ago, Scourge said:

Of course the vocals are overproduced they were recorded almost 30 years ago, recorded with shitty equipment.

I'm so impressed with the way they cleaned his vocals they sound like they were recorded this year.

You can listen to the originals or the demos it's not like these releases erased the other ones.

Btw Hahninator and Astat I seriously NEED to read your opinion on the album your comments are always interesting no matter what.

1 minute ago, JZ-GreyDazePatheticWorship said:

Of course the vocals are overproduced they were recorded almost 30 years ago, recorded with shitty equipment.

I'm so impressed with the way they cleaned his vocals they sound like they were recorded this year.

You can listen to the originals or the demos it's not like these releases erased the other ones.

Btw Hahninator and Astat I seriously NEED to read your opinion on the album your comments are always interesting no matter what.

Some of the vocals are a bit too processed but I am amazed on the what they did. On some cleans Chester sounds like on OML, but these vocals were recorded 20 years prior to that album. Like Holding you could be a 2016 track, fucking incredibile 

On 6/22/2022 at 5:11 PM, STRANGELOVE92 said:

You’re welcome! What do you think about the album ? 😊

It's an enjoyable record, I liked Amends more, however its still pretty good, not gonna lie. Wake me and Hole however are both dissapointing in my opinion. But Believe Me, Drag, Saturation are awesome! I'd say it's like 7,5/10. Amends was 9/10. 

34 minutes ago, Bambitt said:

It's an enjoyable record, I liked Amends more, however its still pretty good, not gonna lie. Wake me and Hole however are both dissapointing in my opinion. But Believe Me, Drag, Saturation are awesome! I'd say it's like 7,5/10. Amends was 9/10. 

I pretty much agree on the ratings, Amends was more emotional, more sad, this is just a really good record. 

7 minutes ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

Who the hell cares about old albums, songs on The Phoenix sound 230 times better, original Spin sounds like randomly generated music with good vocals. 

I don't care about both - the new and old albums.

25 minutes ago, JZ-GreyDazePatheticWorship said:

chester's projects were never popular in the fan base

i disliked CheSTP a lot, DBS was like 6/10 to me 

back in 2002 i loved Grey Daze 

I loved his Camp Freddy era and Kings

Popular doesn't mean good.

32 minutes ago, JZ-GreyDazePatheticWorship said:

chester's projects were never popular in the fan base

i disliked CheSTP a lot

It's crazy how that collaboration managed to attract so much hate from both communities. Contrary to Grey Daze, they didn't even do anything to incite that reaction. They were just a group of nice guys who got along well trying to play the music they loved while staying respectful to their fans. Sad how it all went down, specially knowing Stone Temple Pilots was Chester's favorite band and a huge musical influence on him.

BelowEmpty simply refused to cover anything related to Chester during those years (and went as far as shutting down their site at one point) and we had to create new social media pages and a new subforum exclusively to cover Stone Temple Pilots news because of people constantly complaining about us posting tour updates. No one ever complained about us covering Fort Minor, Dead By Sunrise or Mike Shinoda, so it made absolutely no sense for this particular project to get this kind of treatment.

1 hour ago, lpliveusername said:

It's crazy how that collaboration managed to attract so much hate from both communities. Contrary to Grey Daze, they didn't even do anything to incite that reaction. They were just a group of nice guys who got along well trying to play the music they loved while staying respectful to their fans. Sad how it all went down, specially knowing Stone Temple Pilots was Chester's favorite band and a huge musical influence on him.

BelowEmpty simply refused to cover anything related to Chester during those years (and went as far as shutting down their site at one point) and we had to create new social media pages and a new subforum exclusively to cover Stone Temple Pilots news because of people constantly complaining about us posting tour updates. No one ever complained about us covering Fort Minor, Dead By Sunrise or Mike Shinoda, so it made absolutely no sense for this particular project to get this kind of treatment.

So weird, I like the project. Weird 

I was not interested in STP. It wasnt my taste, but I knew Chester enjoyed the hell out of it. Dead by Sunrise was a bit of a letdown at the time. Some songs were just too slow and some were not that interesting, unfortunately. But with that said, singles were great, some songs I still listen to frequently.

Edited by Bambitt