LPLive Interview with TJ Demonte

Last year Hybrid Theory turned 20 years old. Linkin Park celebrated with a brand new edition of the album and sharing many photos and stories about the origins of the band and recording process of the album that were previously unknown even to hardcore fans.

We at LPLive wanted to do a celebration of our own with a wrap up of all this new information complemented by brand new interviews conducted by our staff with people involved with the band in their formative years. Some of those interviews date all the way back to 2016 when our staff member Lestat started working on a follow-up to his articles about Chester Bennington’s origins. Unfortunately, with all that happened in 2017, the project was put on hold.

It evolved into a collaborative LPLive project last year when we all decided it was finally time to finish it. Some of the fruits of this effort have already been shared in the form of our series of videos with Linkin Park's former A&R Jeff Blue and former manager Rob McDermott (see here).

Starting this week, we'll be posting new interviews on a page dedicated to the project that will be updated every few days. We'll have mostly text interviews, but also interviews in video and audio formats and some exclusive photos. The first one is our long awaited interview with TJ Demonte who auditioned for Xero in the position of lead singer by recommendation of Aaron Lewis after they parted ways with Mark Wakefield; so this may be an interesting story for Staind fans as well.

Visit the page on the link below for a summary of the story or watch the video on YouTube. Don't forget to leave a commentary for TJ under the video!

Hybrid Origins: A Look Back At The Early Days

Edit: Enjoy!

Wow! This was pretty cool, even though I disagree with the "engineered" part. The core band itself formed pretty organically and when a new member was needed (Mark getting kicked out, Phoenix leaving temporarily) they went this route of recording a video before audition and stuff. Since its inception the band was much more methodical when it came to creation.

I guess the whole Jeff Blue interview won't get released? I had a strange feeling about this from the start. But maybe you could share interesting stuff in a written out form that wasn't released on his Youtube?

5 minutes ago, Trumtram said:

I guess the whole Jeff Blue interview won't get released? I had a strange feeling about this from the start. But maybe you could share interesting stuff in a written out form that wasn't released on his Youtube?

Working on this. We'd like to get his approval on the text before posting. We intend to update the page with this text when the last video is posted. He has 10 up on his channel now and more coming this week.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Trumtram said:

Jeff released 5 new videos from the interview a few days ago, and I think more videos are coming.

About the TJ Demonte interview: Awesome interview! I really liked the part when he explains what he felt when listening OSC for the first time and realizing that that was Xero! And also the part about Pictureboard! Great job guys! (and if you´re reading this TJ, thank you too for sharing your stories!)

Edited by jopevc
6 minutes ago, cubebuilder said:

TJ just released the Rhinestone instructmental on his soundcloud with better quality hopefully more tracks get released soon!

Very good interview and story.

Maybe sometime soon we should also get the instrumentals to “Esaul” & “Pictureboard”.

Wow really cool interview, i was looking forward to it since you guys announced it a couple of days ago. thanks to TJ and all the staff for putting this together.

By the way that song "Another Day" that TJ mentioned is pretty solid, love the chorus

Posted (edited)

Is it true that the only songs on the audition tape are “Rhinestone”, “Pictureboard”, & “Esaul”? I thought there would be more songs than that. I thought that maybe “Slip”, “Carousel”, “Step Up”, & “Stick N Move” could also be on that tape, but I guess I was wrong. But, seriously, are those the only songs on the audition tape? Or are there more?

Edited by NJPLP
11 hours ago, jopevc said:

listening OSC for the first time and realizing that that was Xero

Mike isn't even on OSC.

Other than that, very informative interview. I think he deserves his follows for putting effort in that and hopefully release some stuff. Also very excited about the other Xero Tape he was talking about.

10 hours ago, NJPLP said:

Is it true that the only songs on the audition tape are “Rhinestone”, “Pictureboard”, & “Esaul”? I thought there would be more songs than that. I thought that maybe “Slip”, “Carousel”, “Step Up”, & “Stick N Move” could also be on that tape, but I guess I was wrong. But, seriously, are those the only songs on the audition tape? Or are there more?

Only those 3. Says in the article.

48 minutes ago, xeroboi said:

What's the another the xero tape?

No one knows. Needs special equipment to play properly. He's working on that. We'll update the article once we have the tracklist.

Could be something as simple as vocal versions of the other tape.

1 hour ago, lpliveusername said:

something as simple as vocal versions of the other tape

I fear either that or basically the Xero baby cassette.

nice would be the whole Xero CD stuff, cause if they had been in the studio already at that point to make those instrumentals - they might have recorded it all already. cause Mark is on every single track besides pointillism right?

1 hour ago, LPLivesWorstNickname92 said:

So no demos with Chester on vocals right ?

That is correct

28 minutes ago, LPsMart said:

I fear either that or basically the Xero baby cassette.

nice would be the whole Xero CD stuff, cause if they had been in the studio already at that point to make those instrumentals - they might have recorded it all already. cause Mark is on every single track besides pointillism right?

That is correct

Thanks man 

2 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

Only those 3. Says in the article.

So could it be updated to where those were the only songs on Chester’s audition tape or no?

11 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

So could it be updated to where those were the only songs on Chester’s audition tape or no?

We already knew Rhinestone and Esaul were in Chester's tape, then last year Brad revealed Pictureboard was there as well. Now we have a confirmed tracklist from TJ with those 3 songs. I think it's safe to assume everybody got the same tape.

58 minutes ago, LPsMart said:

cause Mark is on every single track besides pointillism right?

Never heard Pointillism, so I can't answer that. lol

It's probably safe to say that the second tape might be the vocals from the audition tape. It would give TJ an idea how to sing and what the band was looking for. Fingers crossed he gets it restored 

But wow that was awesome interview! I loved every second of that! Such an early look into the bands history that went unknown for such a long time. TJ if ya hop in here and see this thank you for telling your side of the story. It was super interesting to hear!  And thank you LPLive team for making this happen!! 

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure but i guess is safe to say that the instrumental version of Pictureboard that TJ played is the same that Mark/Chester recorded their vocals? Judging by the way Rhinestone sounds.

Would be pretty funny if after 20 years of waiting for PB we also get an instrumental

Edited by Diaux
33 minutes ago, Diaux said:

Would be pretty funny if after 20 years of waiting for PB we also get an instrumental

yeah like getting Mark's version, Chester's version and the instrumental in like 1,5 years too

3 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

No one knows. Needs special equipment to play properly. He's working on that. We'll update the article once we have the tracklist.

Could be something as simple as vocal versions of the other tape.

Is there a possibility that the tape has unheard demos? I personally think not, but it would be cool if that tape has new demos, or like the xero version of Slip, Step Up, stuff like that

I'm listening to the interview right now I always thought that TJ was like a temporal bass player, so wrong!

Thanks TJ for sharing so much information and tracks with us it's better to share this kind of stuff to us people that appreciate every second of Linkin Park music

Talking about TJ he has a great voice but he wasn't what LP needed

5 hours ago, jopevc said:

Is there a possibility that the tape has unheard demos?

Who knows? Even he has to check himself lmao

4 hours ago, JZ-GreyDazeWorshipper said:

Talking about TJ he has a great voice but he wasn't what LP needed

I think he would have been a decent replacement for Mark, but not anything Chester did for the sound of the band.

1 hour ago, LPsMart said:

Who knows? Even he has to check himself lmao

I think he would have been a decent replacement for Mark, but not anything Chester did for the sound of the band.

Chester was one of a kind 

Demonte is a guy that had bad luck he's a good singer kinda sounds like Staind/Seether

Posted (edited)

Is this the guy that posted on this forum a couple of weeks (or months, rather) ago?

The one that had an Xero demo or something like that?

Edit: Ah, he is, isn't he? He's also the one that uploaded Pictureboard years ago?
But wasn't that the lawyer dude? God, this is confusing :D

Edited by Seelentau