Pointillism (1998 Xero/Mike Shinoda Demo)

NJPLP

It's not something new that Mike wanted to do something by himself, it's one of the reason breaking the habit turned out the way it did, he just wanted to do it but couldn't often changing styles to figure which one would be best, the mid West emo of xero or the raw chromatic guitars of nu metal, since its their second record they wouldn't want to risk it, just look at limp bizkit they basically did their version of mtm and everyone hated it, imagine if linkin park did something they wanted to do at that time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 12:38 PM, lpliveusername said:

So the Xero 818 demo remains a mystery.

Not anymore. Jeff Blue confirmed in the volume 11 of the Rob/Jeff interview that the Xero 818 cassette tracklist is this:

1. Esaul

2. Pictureboard

3. Rhinestone

4. Fiends

Edited by NJPLP

On 6/3/2021 at 3:47 PM, NJPLP said:

Not anymore. Jeff Blue confirmed in the volume 11 of the Rob/Jeff interview that the Xero 818 cassette tracklist is this:

1. Esaul

2. Pictureboard

3. Rhinestone

4. Fiends

Isn't Pictureboard first?

1. Pictureboard

2. Esaul

3. Rhinestone

4. Fiends

23 hours ago, NJPLP said:

1. Esaul

2. Pictureboard

3. Rhinestone

4. Fiends

You're talking about a DAT. I was talking about a CD.

On 6/4/2021 at 4:12 PM, lpliveusername said:

You're talking about a DAT. I was talking about a CD.

Are you talking about this? 

Xero CD

1. Rhinestone

2. Esaul

3. Pictureboard

4. Fiends

Edited by NJPLP

• 4 months later...
On 5/11/2021 at 1:11 PM, TheVeryLastDinosaur said:

A random thought I had. Seeing as Jeff said this was something Mike was creating for a soundtrack, do y'all suppose it might have a connection to the mysterious NBA Inside Stuff -BG Cues song? 

On 5/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, SerioDrew said:

Honestly i doubt it. I dont think NBA Inside Stuff background music counts as soundtrack in any way.

I think the NBA Inside Stuff - BG Cues song is probably one of the songs we already have, maybe Rhinestone.

Here's the Wikipedia page on NBA Inside Stuff, though Wikipedia isn't always trusthworthy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Inside_Stuff

It states that the running time of each episode from 1990-2002 is 21-22 minutes and that it was on NBC around that time. We would probably have to look for NBA Inside Stuff episodes dating from 1996 to at least late 1998.

Edited by NJPLP

5 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

Here's the Wikipedia page on NBA Inside Stuff, though Wikipedia isn't always trusthworthy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Inside_Stuff

It states that the running time of each episode from 1990-2002 is 21-22 minutes and that it was on NBC around that time. We would probably have to look for NBA Inside Stuff episodes dating from 1996 to at least late 1998.

I'm not sure if you know of Xero Hunting, its a team looking for LP rare old stuff, this is a song we have def talked about a lot over the years. The tricky part is that NBA Inside Stuff aired weekly so we'd have to sift through a ton of episodes. This had to be in 1998 or 1999, but I don't know of any way of finding all of those episodes, there is not archive online. Also, there's always the possibility that it could have been one of the Xero tracks we already have, that was just used in a video montage on the show. Its unluckily that its Rhinestone, since Rhinestone did exist in BMI, but it has to be a 98 studio quality demo, so after the Zomba deal. The issue with this is finding the episodes, since there is no online archive and the episodes are a lot to look for em one by one, the only chance would be contacting people that could have access to those episodes from back then and convince em to share them with us which they probably dont even have the authority to, since its NBA's property I assume.

45 minutes ago, SerioDrew said:

I'm not sure if you know of Xero Hunting, its a team looking for LP rare old stuff, this is a song we have def talked about a lot over the years. The tricky part is that NBA Inside Stuff aired weekly so we'd have to sift through a ton of episodes. This had to be in 1998 or 1999, but I don't know of any way of finding all of those episodes, there is not archive online. Also, there's always the possibility that it could have been one of the Xero tracks we already have, that was just used in a video montage on the show. Its unluckily that its Rhinestone, since Rhinestone did exist in BMI, but it has to be a 98 studio quality demo, so after the Zomba deal. The issue with this is finding the episodes, since there is no online archive and the episodes are a lot to look for em one by one, the only chance would be contacting people that could have access to those episodes from back then and convince em to share them with us which they probably dont even have the authority to, since its NBA's property I assume.

It's near the end of the video.

Jeff Blue talked about “NBA INSIDE STUFF – BG CUES" on June 4th, 2021 and when he was questioned about what “NBA INSIDE STUFF – BG CUES" actually was, he replied with this: “ Umm, so BG stands for BACKGROUND, so a lot of times when, uhh. So, a publisher’s job is to, umm, exploit, and exploit means get money, from the, the artist’s catalog, so when we, uh, sended out, we were trying to get, you know we got “The Crow”, um, we know too many got “The Crow”, so that song appeared in there, but also, you also have the backing tracks, which a lot of times when you’re listening to, uh, a tv show or whatever, um, you hear the background. And without the vocals, so that’s what “BG CUES” is for. And then the “NBA” was probably was placed in, uh, a promo for, you know, “NBA”, um, you know, basketball. So that’s, that’s what that is and so, yeah.” He also then confirmed that it’s an instrumental of a Xero demo.

Edited by NJPLP

• NJPLP changed the title to Pointillism (1998 Xero/Mike Shinoda Demo)
3 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

Jeff Blue talked about “NBA INSIDE STUFF – BG CUES" on June 4th, 2021 and he was questioned about what “NBA INSIDE STUFF – BG CUES" actually was, he replied with this: “ Umm, so BG stands for BACKGROUND, so a lot of times when, uhh. So, a publisher’s job is to, umm, exploit, and exploit means get money, from the, the artist’s catalog, so when we, uh, sended out, we were trying to get, you know we got “The Crow”, um, we know too many got “The Crow”, so that song appeared in there, but also, you also have the backing tracks, which a lot of times when you’re listening to, uh, a tv show or whatever, um, you hear the background. And without the vocals, so that’s what “BG CUES” is for. And then the “NBA” was probably was placed in, uh, a promo for, you know, “NBA”, um, you know, basketball. So that’s, that’s what that is and so, yeah.” He also then confirmed that it’s an instrumental of a Xero demo.

We could def go thru all NBA promos from 1997/1998 ;) 

2 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

Jeff Blue talked about “NBA INSIDE STUFF – BG CUES" on June 4th, 2021 and when he was questioned about what “NBA INSIDE STUFF – BG CUES" actually was, he replied with this: “ Umm, so BG stands for BACKGROUND, so a lot of times when, uhh. So, a publisher’s job is to, umm, exploit, and exploit means get money, from the, the artist’s catalog, so when we, uh, sended out, we were trying to get, you know we got “The Crow”, um, we know too many got “The Crow”, so that song appeared in there, but also, you also have the backing tracks, which a lot of times when you’re listening to, uh, a tv show or whatever, um, you hear the background. And without the vocals, so that’s what “BG CUES” is for. And then the “NBA” was probably was placed in, uh, a promo for, you know, “NBA”, um, you know, basketball. So that’s, that’s what that is and so, yeah.” He also then confirmed that it’s an instrumental of a Xero demo.

Thats cool new info to me, havent really kept track of his interviews. That actually makes total sense, Im pretty sure its a known song's instrumental. The really problem is finding the episodes here. Someone would have to be willing to let us check that out, plus its been really long ago, Im not even sure who would have access to those archive rn besides the companies themselves.

19 minutes ago, LPsMart said:

yeah I'd be super down too to help, we'd just need access to those episodes.

3 hours ago, SerioDrew said:

2 hours ago, unksoldier2000 said:

We could def go thru all NBA promos from 1997/1998 ;) 

So we would have to look for NBA Inside Stuff episodes from 1997 to 1999?

Edited by NJPLP

2 hours ago, leftshoe18 said:

How many episodes were in a season of NBA Inside Stuff? I'm looking around online and I can't even find that. lol

As mentioned it used to be a weekly program back then, so for a period of 2 years that we looking for, A LOT. 

52 minutes ago, SerioDrew said:

As mentioned it used to be a weekly program back then, so for a period of 2 years that we looking for, A LOT. 

If it came out weekly it'll roughly be 110 episodes excluding specials and holidays (if they had them). 

2 hours ago, TheVeryLastDinosaur said:

If it came out weekly it'll roughly be 110 episodes excluding specials and holidays (if they had them). 

Did you take into consideration the NBA season and not all throught the year? Honestly watching em isnt the problem, we got enough people to watch em all pretty quickly, getting the episodes is the hard part, and then hopefully recognizing the track.

4 minutes ago, SerioDrew said:

Did you take into consideration the NBA season and not all throught the year? Honestly watching em isnt the problem, we got enough people to watch em all pretty quickly, getting the episodes is the hard part, and then hopefully recognizing the track.

Touché. Not a big NBA fan so I don't know much on the show. For the track I feel it will most likely be Rhinestone but a part me wants to say Fiends. Just a weird feeling lol. 

16 hours ago, TheVeryLastDinosaur said:

Touché. Not a big NBA fan so I don't know much on the show. For the track I feel it will most likely be Rhinestone but a part me wants to say Fiends. Just a weird feeling lol. 

In one of the episodes I watched, I heard hip hop and rap based tracks, I was thinking probably Reading My Eyes, maybe even Stick N Move?

Edited by NJPLP

I found two 1994 NBA Inside Stuff episodes and two 1995 NBA Inside Stuff episodes.

This one is dated February 26th, 1994.

This one is dated December 24th, 1994.

This one is dated November 11th, 1995.

This one is dated November 18th, 1995

When I checked my calendar on my phone, all four of them were on a Saturday.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0358327/episodes?season=-1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_-1

These episodes on IMDB, are also dated as being on a Saturday.

They did these episodes every Saturday (most likely).

This also proves these episodes were done on Saturdays: 

Edited by NJPLP

• 3 months later...
On 10/25/2021 at 8:00 AM, NJPLP said:

I found two 1994 NBA Inside Stuff episodes and two 1995 NBA Inside Stuff episodes.

This one is dated February 26th, 1994.

This one is dated December 24th, 1994.

This one is dated November 11th, 1995.

This one is dated November 18th, 1995

When I checked my calendar on my phone, all four of them were on a Saturday.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0358327/episodes?season=-1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_-1

These episodes on IMDB, are also dated as being on a Saturday.

They did these episodes every Saturday.

This proves these episodes were done on Saturdays: 

I didn't mean to do that. It was an accident. 

Edited by NJPLP