Esteban Diácono & Mike Shinoda - Platonic Love

PeppePark

Mike Shinoda announced his collaboration with Esteban Diácono, a motion graphics designer from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

This art project, called "Platonic Love", will feature Mike's original music and it will be released on March 29th.

Here's what Esteban Diácono said about it, on Twitter:

"Very happy and very excited to announce "Platonic Love", a collaboration between myself and the the great @mikeshinoda. We'll be debuting our first collaboration on March 29th, exclusively on @niftygateway.

""Platonic Love" is a humble homage to 3D Graphics and how I fell in love with the art and the craft. The collection features original compositions and sound design by @mikeshinoda, who through his music, added a whole new dimension to the visuals. March 29th, only @niftygateway."

Check Esteban's website at https://www.estebandiacono.com/

Mike released a sneak-peek of the project on his Instagram account.

Read the full description by Esteban Diácono here.

UPDATE
Two more preview before the release, read the full thread for Esteban's commentary about the pieces and Mike's music!

"Mike's score reminded me of the jumpy and attentive nature of bunnies, while maintaining a joyful and nostalgic vibe that completes the vision for this animation."
https://twitter.com/estebandiacono/status/1375508583161360386

"Mike score sounded to me like a cacophony of voices, a reminder of the many visual incarnations of the Utah Teapot and the voices of all the people who encountered it during their journeys, and learned to love it."

https://twitter.com/estebandiacono/status/1375868258503524353

The art itself is pretty straight forward. It is multiple computer graphics rendered scenes accompanied by music. The theme of the scenes seem to be topic of 3D computer graphics in general. I think people start to overthink this stuff now.

Edited by Coizu

There's 3 Open Editions, each one based on all Five Platonics, featuring the same mechanics but using different versions, shaders and lighting, each one featuring an original, distinctive score by @mikeshinoda.

so no sleepy music there

EDIT: I just posted download link for all songs.

Edited by martinez

11 hours ago, RogueSoul said:

none of us have nearly enough money to even begin and try understand why someone would buy this LOL

That's what I mean when I said people overthink this. It's not so hard to understand why someone would buy this. Either people are into art and they want to buy a piece of art or they see it as an investment and they can get more money out of it in the future. People get hung up on the fact that it is a digital file rather than an oil painting on a canvas or whatever. There is no difference conceptually.

Also it's not like it costs millions. If you compare it with traditional art it is totally in line. An original piece of art for around $1k-$2k is nothing unusual. Hell, if I could buy an actual original painting for even $3k or more, I wouldn't even have to think about it for a second.

I still think that morally this whole NFT thing is just bad and I lost a lot of respect for Mike. Not because of the environmental issues but because of my perception of crypto as a whole (I am basically of the opinion that the whole crypto scene is a pyramid scheme. I don't want to bore people with my rant about that once again though).

14 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

But a digital item will lose its value over time much more than a physical item. That's the problem.

Why? We don't know that. We can only speculate. Owning a digital piece of art in the way it is done by NFTs is not comparable to something we had before (at least I am not familiar with a similar system that existed before). We can't say for sure how prices will develop in the future.

I personally think that what's happening right now is like a bubble and in a couple of years all these NFTs are going to be worthless because no one cares about them anymore. And even if that is not happening, the market is flooded with NFTs. Even if they stay relevant over years, just compare how many original pieces of art you were able to buy from Mike vs. the amount of NFTs he minted. Owning an NFT from Mike is probably already more common than owning an original painting from him. And that happened just within a couple of weeks.

Also a lot of the pieces that he minted have like 1 or 2 bidders. Basically if someone wants to own an NFT of him, chances are high that that person will also get one right now. So no one is going to go after them in the secondary market. And without an active secondary market I don't see this whole idea working out in the long run. People who got into it as an investment will see their NFTs losing value over time, people who minted them won't see any profit from the secondary market so that argument will also lose its value etc.

But yeah, we can't know for sure. It's all speculation. We will see what the future brings. Maybe in 20 years an NFT from Mike is worth a couple million dollars and I'll bite myself in the ass for not buying one right now. Who knows.

Was saying that based on comments of people saying they are "losing their ass" on their NFT investments so far. Are they trolling? Or are people really losing a lot of money on NFT items they've bought already?

This musical collaboration confirms (for the millionth time) that Mike needs to collaborate with Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor. Their Ghosts releases are fantastic, and Mike is creating music in such a similar style/genre to that. This release, his Raid Redemption music, his Mall music, "fine", etc... he's gotta do it. The possibilities are endless. An EP with vocals and full songs? An instrumental album? Imagine how cool that'd be.

7 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Was saying that based on comments of people saying they are "losing their ass" on their NFT investments so far. Are they trolling? Or are people really losing a lot of money on NFT items they've bought already?

This musical collaboration confirms (for the millionth time) that Mike needs to collaborate with Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor. Their Ghosts releases are fantastic, and Mike is creating music in such a similar style/genre to that. This release, his Raid Redemption music, his Mall music, "fine", etc... he's gotta do it. The possibilities are endless. An EP with vocals and full songs? An instrumental album? Imagine how cool that'd be.

That would be really super dope. The songs you mentioned, especially “Fine”, had a NIN/Reznor &Atticus Ross attitude and vibe and it’d be really something interesting to look forward 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

The rolling synths and sounds in verse 2 are really similar to the work Atticus and Trent do. It'd be a great collaboration. Look how good Mike's collaboration with Chino was on The Raid - he could create something epic with the NIN team.

18 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

The rolling synths and sounds in verse 2 are really similar to the work Atticus and Trent do. It'd be a great collaboration. Look how good Mike's collaboration with Chino was on The Raid - he could create something epic with the NIN team.

Yeah I didn’t “recognize” it until you said it now, but my fav part in “Fine” is the 2nd verse, the synth is really cool, that song is by far one of my fav things Mike has done as a solo artist/Fort Minor 

1 hour ago, LPLStaff said:

Oh that's basically what I meant that without a secondary market this will die. There is no activity in reselling those NFTs right now. Why would there be? If you want one you just have to wait a week and you can get a newly created one from Mike. No need to buy one for a higher price from someone else. And as long as there is no activity on the secondary market no one knows how prices will develop.

It's as if an artist would sell a couple new painted pictures every other week. Why would you try to buy one second hand from someone else for a higher price than the original price while you can get one from the artist itself basically all the time.

If people are already complaining that they are losing on their investment, that confirms to me that people started buying them because they were afraid of missing out on something huge without understanding it. If you buy a painted picture you wouldn't expect it to be resell-able at a profit (or just without a loss) within a couple of days. 

1 hour ago, LPLStaff said:

Man I would give so much for a MS/TR collaboration but I don't see it happening. I have no idea what Trent thinks about Mike but I don't think that that would be the kind of collaboration Trent would be up for. He seems to be very particular how and with whom he works.

5 hours ago, JZlinkinparamore said:

Mike cashnoda does it again 

People working for money what a surprise.

Considering you probably saying this due to the saltiness caused by GD's cashgrab let me point out a difference.

GD is milking Chester's legacy, MS is doing work that has nothing to do with LP or Chester

58 minutes ago, Cesar656 said:

Considering you probably saying this due to the saltiness caused by GD's cashgrab let me point out a difference.

GD is milking Chester's legacy, MS is doing work that has nothing to do with LP or Chester

I have nothing against this Mike project, I don’t have any interest but nothing against it, he does this artsy thing and If he’s happy I’m super fine. But the cash grab bullshit with GD not again please. Peace. 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

1 hour ago, Cesar656 said:

💯

Edited by Stranger

5 hours ago, Cesar656 said:

yeah like releasing a whole album inspired by Chesters death and tour around the world to promote it 

59 minutes ago, JZlinkinparamore said:

yeah like releasing a whole album inspired by Chesters death and tour around the world to promote it 

Except it wasn't an entire album inspired by Chester's death, part of it was Fort Minor that was going to be released in 2017.

6 hours ago, Cesar656 said:

Well, Grey Daze was supposed to get back together for this project so I guess that one is a bit unfair. Still, having all these items for purchase remains overkill, though.

Edited by Trumtram

7 minutes ago, Trumtram said:

Well, Grey Daze was supposed to get back together for this project so I guess that one is a bit unfair. Still, having all these items for purchase remains overkill, though.

Finally someone who has a reasonable opinion. About the merch, I get what you say, many editions, but (and I don’t want to make jokes or being rude or misinterpreted) even PT had some different editions, and was never considered a cash-grab by the fans (me included, i DON’T THINK PT WAS CASHGRAB).

2 minutes ago, martinez said:

Do we know which songs was supposed to be FM? I know that two of them were Lift off and I.O.U.

Lift Off and IOU definitely, maybe Hold it Together? Always had a FM vibe to me, reminded me of Believe Me a bit. MUAIG was supposed to be on OML instead, right ?