Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

Mike Mentions New Solo Album Possibility


Recommended Posts

Is a new Mike Shinoda album now in the works?

Following his comments on Twitch on February 18 about a new album, Mike once again on the 22nd mentioned a new album in response to fan questions.
 

He said, "You're asking, "If we promote the hell out of #HappyEndings and get it working, then do we get an album?" The answer is probably... I think that's the equation. The equation is - if the song works, then I make more songs. Ok? I've got some stuff and I'm still writing more stuff. Here's the deal then. You guys spread the word and promote the shit out of #HappyEndings, get it to people, get it happening and get it to people who don't listen to me... if people start streaming the song, then we can go."

 

Essentially... if 'Happy Endings' does well, Mike is interested in releasing an album.

 

This was a follow up to last week when he explained, "I'm not working on a new album, no, but I have music. Does that make sense? I make stuff all the time, I've made some things. And if the song were to do well, I could very easily see organizing some of the things I've been making and putting it out as an album. It sounds like you guys want more rapping. What do you guys want? What kind of album should I make if I did that? More rapping? A lot of people said more rapping. I don't like "making something like a thing", but, I could make a bunch of new songs with the Fort Minor drum pieces and things like that. I don't really WANT to do that but it's a possibility. But I've got stuff, I could do it."


Mike also mentioned in his interview with The Needle Drop that someone who works with his music publishing influenced him to finish and release 'Happy Endings'.

It sounds like Mike is in the right mindset to start putting together his new songs to potentially form an album. What do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The song is 500.000 plays  on Spotify and 200.000 on YT, the best that could happen is it going to be like “Crossing a Line” kind of big, (not Linkin Park kind of “big”). It all depends on what Mike means for big. Personally, I’m open to a new album, not thrilled because I don’t like the song, but I didn’t likeHeavy that much when it came out but turned out loving OML, so I’m not saying “NO” to a Mike album. We’ll see. 
The thing is, if putting out a super trendy and catchy tune like this (even a bit TIKTOK friendly) doesn’t bring him at least a bit of mainstream success, is it considerable as a flop ? 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

The song is 500.000 plays  on Spotify and 200.000 on YT, the best that could happen is it going to be like “Crossing a Line” kind of big, (not Linkin Park kind of “big”). It all depends on what Mike means for big. Personally, I’m open to a new album, not thrilled because I don’t like the song, but I didn’t likeHeavy that much when it came out but turned out loving OML, so I’m not saying “NO” to a Mike album. We’ll see. 
The thing is, if putting out a super trendy and catchy tune like this (even a bit TIKTOK friendly) doesn’t bring him at least a bit of mainstream success, is it considerable as a flop ? 

It would be a flop if he wanted to make bare money out of it. He didn't even wanna publish the song lol whatever comes is gonna be a success

Link to post
Share on other sites

I shared my sentiment about this approach in the other thread already but I have some more words. How are other people supposed to get excited for a release if he himself is not even excited to release it and share it with others in the first place? I guess the hardcore fan base (me included) will be excited for every release but if he wants it to be successful in a broader sense, I don't really understand how this makes sense. You either create something you are proud of and you really want to show it to the world or you create something that you think is not as good, but then maybe it is best to not share it? I don't know. I am really confused by all of this.

As already discussed in the shoutbox the release might be planned all along anyway and this is just a very weird way to spread the word.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember everything Mike usually says about music is pretty calculated. When he said "which of these 3 ideas do you like better?", he was already making Open Door and mashing them up, lol. He knew he was going to release a demo (& song). So if he's saying this now, he's probably already got the album under way and the label knows. Or when he was doing the Post Traumatic EP, he said if fans liked the music he'd make more, or something to that extent. Well then he says months later he had like 6+ songs he wanted to release on January 1, 2018 for everyone... so, he isn't fooling us, ha. He probably already has the album somewhat structured and is getting it ready. But the lack of enthusiasm about it is noted... he's definitely been down on himself (in this case, meaning he's down on RELEASING music) lately. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Coizu said:

I shared my sentiment about this approach in the other thread already but I have some more words. How are other people supposed to get excited for a release if he himself is not even excited to release it and share it with others in the first place? I guess the hardcore fan base (me included) will be excited for every release but if he wants it to be successful in a broader sense, I don't really understand how this makes sense. You either create something you are proud of and you really want to show it to the world or you create something that you think is not as good, but then maybe it is best to not share it? I don't know. I am really confused by all of this.

As already discussed in the shoutbox the release might be planned all along anyway and this is just a very weird way to spread the word.

Agree on every single word. This is the opposite mindset of what Mike and the band always showed since MTM: “fuck it, we want to do something because we believe in what we do and if some fans don’t like it, sorry but that’s what we want to do now.”

If he’s “meh, maybe, why not, but only if...” on a new record, it’s probably better he waits to release it when he’s convinced (not saying he shouldn’t do it, if he was “HE is the new single off my new record coming in May, can’t wait you to hear it” I’d be ok and still curious about it despite not enjoying the song)

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92
Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again everyone beat me to it. If he’s only motivated to release music if it’s a “success” then honestly, that’s an album I’m not interested in listening to. Just comes across like you’re doing it because you feel you need to. Not because you want to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hybrid1988 said:

Once again everyone beat me to it. If he’s only motivated to release music if it’s a “success” then honestly, that’s an album I’m not interested in listening to. Just comes across like you’re doing it because you feel you need to. Not because you want to. 

Definitely this. I hope he’s trolling and teasing 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said in the other thread, I don't expect serious purpose-driven work from Mike for a while. I feel like he's just kinda explored a lot of ground and now is just having fun. I'll still enjoy the music for what it is, and hopefully a project full of passion and experimentation is still in the future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

Like I said in the other thread, I don't expect serious purpose-driven work from Mike for a while. I feel like he's just kinda explored a lot of ground and now is just having fun. I'll still enjoy the music for what it is, and hopefully a project full of passion and experimentation is still in the future. 

 

Plot twist - what if the serious, purpose-driven work is with LP right now? No matter when they release an album - 2021, 2022, 2023, etc... it's going to be something they've all 5 heavily invested in and put an incredible amount of work into because it's the first album without Chester. If they do decide to release their music they've been making, it's likely going to be something really great... like it could be ATS-level great. Albums like LT, THP, and OML haven't had a full-band investment like MTM and ATS had. We might really see something tremendous come from LP on the next album. Maybe his solo stuff is what's more laid back, care free, etc. LP has been writing for a while so maybe this is the result of what happens when LP is hunkered down on something and Mike is also at the same time doing a million things - Twitch streaming daily, ShinodaProduceMe, all these collabs with other artists, solo songs, Dropped Frames, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

 

Plot twist - what if the serious, purpose-driven work is with LP right now? No matter when they release an album - 2021, 2022, 2023, etc... it's going to be something they've all 5 heavily invested in and put an incredible amount of work into because it's the first album without Chester. If they do decide to release their music they've been making, it's likely going to be something really great... like it could be ATS-level great. Albums like LT, THP, and OML haven't had a full-band investment like MTM and ATS had. We might really see something tremendous come from LP on the next album. Maybe his solo stuff is what's more laid back, care free, etc. LP has been writing for a while so maybe this is the result of what happens when LP is hunkered down on something and Mike is also at the same time doing a million things - Twitch streaming daily, ShinodaProduceMe, all these collabs with other artists, solo songs, Dropped Frames, etc.

I really hope so, TBH. My dream is a new experimental LP record, with them going sooo weird. Mike and Brad are awesome producers and the band is a team with a unique way of working, as Rick Rubin said 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 9:47 PM, LPLStaff said:

 

Plot twist - what if the serious, purpose-driven work is with LP right now? No matter when they release an album - 2021, 2022, 2023, etc... it's going to be something they've all 5 heavily invested in and put an incredible amount of work into because it's the first album without Chester. If they do decide to release their music they've been making, it's likely going to be something really great... like it could be ATS-level great. Albums like LT, THP, and OML haven't had a full-band investment like MTM and ATS had. We might really see something tremendous come from LP on the next album. Maybe his solo stuff is what's more laid back, care free, etc. LP has been writing for a while so maybe this is the result of what happens when LP is hunkered down on something and Mike is also at the same time doing a million things - Twitch streaming daily, ShinodaProduceMe, all these collabs with other artists, solo songs, Dropped Frames, etc.

 

Oh yeah, I really hope this is the case as well. When I say that he might not make something super serious and purpose-driven again, I'm kinda including the possibility of LP not releasing anything again. 

 

But if they do, it will 100% be a huge decision, looked at super meticulously through the lens of "is this what we want to go out with for the first time since Chester? What do we say in his absence? How do we address it?" etc. I have no sense of how much the others are writing, but yeah if they've been writing for years and are gonna be debating ideas back and forth, I'm super excited for what that will bring. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.