Jump to content
lpliveusername

New Xero Titles: "Dreamer" and "Weight"

Recommended Posts

On 12/9/2020 at 11:59 PM, linkinepi said:

November 17, 1998 demo CD:

01. Rhinestone

02. Esaul

03. Pictureboard

04. Fiends

05. Stick N Move

06. Carousel

07. Slip

08. Step Up

 

Xero Hunting Volume 3: 17.11.1998 Xero CD... (probably Andrew Lanoie has it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MrS said:

Xero Hunting Volume 3: 17.11.1998 Xero CD... (probably Andrew Lanoie has it)

Who´s Andrew Lanoie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LPsMart said:

a guy who says he played bass on those tracks, he leaked the Xero Pictureboard

Oooooooohhhhhhh that guy! I remember now! Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2020 at 10:52 PM, RayGun4200 said:

Cant be because Untitled was already called Untitled at that time

It's not like they couldn't have re-titled it only to scrap it again... other demos changed their names frequently as well. I mean the band themselves changed names even, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rasputin 93 said:

It's not like they couldn't have re-titled it only to scrap it again... other demos changed their names frequently as well. I mean the band themselves changed names even, lol.

According to the book: Xero -> Xero 818 -> Hybrid Theory -> Platinum Lotus Foundation -> Plear -> Lincoln Park -> Linkin Park.

 

The August and November 1998 demos were likely under the name Xero 818. They had been using that name since at least June.

Platinum Lotus Foundation was very quickly in late April.

Plear was in early May for around 12 days. They pressed a CD under this name as mentioned here.

Just wanted to post this information here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was the name "Platinum Lotus Foundation" common info at one point? Where was it mentioned before this? It was apparently on the Linkin Park Wikipedia back in 2004.

 

Edit: Reading the section about the name changes seems so weird, like it's a fanfiction. I obviously can't claim to have proof it's fake, and I'm sure the bigger info is probably true, but some of the smaller details seem so specific and odd to me, like they are out of a cartoon

Edited by jFar920

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jFar920 said:

Was the name "Platinum Lotus Foundation" common info at one point? Where was it mentioned before this? It was apparently on the Linkin Park Wikipedia back in 2004.

 

Edit: Reading the section about the name changes seems so weird, like it's a fanfiction. I obviously can't claim to have proof it's fake, and I'm sure the bigger info is probably true, but some of the smaller details seem so specific and odd to me, like they are out of a cartoon

That sound like the worst band name ever 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jFar920 said:

Was the name "Platinum Lotus Foundation" common info at one point? Where was it mentioned before this? It was apparently on the Linkin Park Wikipedia back in 2004.

 

Edit: Reading the section about the name changes seems so weird, like it's a fanfiction. I obviously can't claim to have proof it's fake, and I'm sure the bigger info is probably true, but some of the smaller details seem so specific and odd to me, like they are out of a cartoon


Platinum Lotus Foundation has been a known name they considered for many years, and was typically mentioned in the same breath as names like Ten P.M. Stocker (referring to the band practicing at Mike's old apartment at 10 PM), Probing Lagers, and "Clear," which was obviously just a case of someone mishearing "Plear." I dug around for a few minutes and found references to those names online going back at least as far as 2006.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Astat said:

Platinum Lotus Foundation

For a second I was like, wait a minute I heard about some kind of that and that was associated with Linkin Park, and I remembered that in 2012 they did a game with Lotus F1 team, the game was called "Linkin Park GP".

Edited by martinez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

According to the book: Xero -> Xero 818 -> Hybrid Theory -> Platinum Lotus Foundation -> Plear -> Lincoln Park -> Linkin Park.

 

The August and November 1998 demos were likely under the name Xero 818. They had been using that name since at least June.

Platinum Lotus Foundation was very quickly in late April.

Plear was in early May for around 12 days. They pressed a CD under this name as mentioned here.

Just wanted to post this information here.

Platinum Lotus Foundation...damn what a name 😂 thank god they didn´t sticked to that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2020 at 1:25 AM, Rasputin 93 said:

It's not like they couldn't have re-titled it only to scrap it again... other demos changed their names frequently as well. I mean the band themselves changed names even, lol.

by that logic (which makes some kind of sense to me actually) it would most likely be Crawling, 'cause it is not mentioned anywhere else
for those saying "but there are no harmonics played in this song" - yes there aren't, BUT it is the only song besides PMA on the album that has a second guitar playing a "harmony" in the music theory sense over the power chords
this is just a conspiracy but I could stick with it

Edited by LPsMart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2020 at 11:17 PM, lpliveusername said:

The discovery of two new Xero titles leaves us at a total of 15 (or 16) known Xero songs:

01. Dialate

02. Deftest

03. Reading My Eyes

04. Fuse

05. Stick N Move

06. Coal

07. Rhinestone

08. Dreamer

09. Weight

10. Esaul

11. Pictureboard

12. Slip

13. Closing

14. Drop

15. Fiends

16. Spark Marker(?)

"Chair" is also a Xero demo.

 

On 12/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, lpliveusername said:

November 17, 1998 demo CD:

01. Rhinestone

02. Esaul

03. Pictureboard

04. Fiends

05. Stick N Move

06. Carousel

07. Slip

08. Step Up

I also thought that Stick N Move was rerecorded in studio with Mark Wakefield because in Xero Current folder there is another version of it which is similar to version on the tape.

 

On 12/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, lpliveusername said:

01. Over To Me (Blue)

I want to hear this early version of Blue.

 

On 12/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, lpliveusername said:

Xero - 1997 Mike Shinoda (from photo):

https://i.ibb.co/1qmLNnm/oscbook-dreamer-and-weigt.png

01. Fuse

02. Reading My Eyes

03. Stick N Move

 

First Xero demo he heard:

01. Fuse

02. [Untitled Track]

03. Stick And Move

04. Reading My Eyes

 

November 1997, baby cover:

01. Rhinestone

02. Reading My Eyes

03. Fuse

04. Stick N Move

I think these demos are different on every tape because there is Stick N Move and Stick And Move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2020 at 8:54 PM, hybrider said:

I want to hear this early version of Blue.

 

 

I doubt very much this is an early version of "Blue". Most likely this is the same demo as on LPU11, just with the final name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

If they didn’t consider to include those songs in HT20 I doubt it’s gonna be anything worth freaking out for. 
Don’t get the hype at all, last time I played anything from HT20 demos besides PB or S&M, CHB was middle October. 

 

Probably because those are the only songs that hardcore fans like us didn't already have. I'm sure a lot of casual fans just got (for them) plenty of brand new material. There were rock media sites writing about She Couldn't as if it had never been heard before. For us, though, the upgrades in sound quality were amazing but there were only a few songs that we had never heard at all.

 

The DVD's and the book are the best parts of the package for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Justin said:

 

Probably because those are the only songs that hardcore fans like us didn't already have. I'm sure a lot of casual fans just got (for them) plenty of brand new material. There were rock media sites writing about She Couldn't as if it had never been heard before. For us, though, the upgrades in sound quality were amazing but there were only a few songs that we had never heard at all.

 

The DVD's and the book are the best parts of the package for me!

HT20 was a really good release, didn’t mean to say that at all. But I just don’t get the hype for demos they didn’t consider worth a HT20 release, considering that they threw in a lot of stuff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

HT20 was a really good release, didn’t mean to say that at all. But I just don’t get the hype for demos they didn’t consider worth a HT20 release, considering that they threw in a lot of stuff 

Yeah I don't think they're going to officially release more songs with Mark. If they were going to officially release any more Xero songs with Mark on vocals, HT20 would have been the time to do it. I would love to hear them for their historical significance, but nobody outside of really hardcore fans would be clamoring for any more songs that completely predate Chester's involvement. The only way we'll hear these is if they leak like Mark's version of PB did.

 

Any unreleased material with Chester is different, as there will always be the possibility that Warner/LP may want to hold some stuff back for future releases. Astat made that point recently in another thread and it makes sense.

Edited by Justin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Justin said:

Yeah I don't think they're going to officially release more songs with Mark. If they were going to officially release any more Xero songs with Mark on vocals, HT20 would have been the time to do it. I would love to hear them for their historical significance, but nobody outside of really hardcore fans would be clamoring for any more songs that completely predate Chester's involvement. The only way we'll hear these is if they leak like Mark's version of PB did.

 

Any unreleased material with Chester is different, as there will always be the possibility that Warner/LP may want to hold some stuff back for future releases. Astat made that point recently in another thread and it makes sense.

Yeah unreleased material with CB on vocals will always be considered on a different light, even tho TBH I expected PB and CHB to be a little bit bigger among occasional fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of things that are interesting about this is that for a long time we had the impression that the Xero cassette was a master for those songs and there was no digital master. The fact that there’s a DAT (which was accepted as a legitimate master format at that time) means that the info we had was either incorrect or half-true or alternatively someone thought enough to transfer what was probably a relativity new cassette at the time to a digital lossless format, which makes sense if these songs were getting heard by industry folks. I’d bet that the Xero songs on the HT box are sourced from some kind of DAT tape (Jeff may not have the only copies) or a digitization of those tapes, but not the OG cassette itself.

 

Also pray for archival sake that these DATs were transferred to legit digital audio files (not just confined to the tape) at some point because they’re known for developing glitches in old age.

Edited by letdownagain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2020 at 5:18 AM, lpliveusername said:

The last demo mentioned in the book is an unmastered copy of the album from May 9, 2000 under the name Plear (after "Hybrid Theory" and before "Linkin Park"):

01. Papercut

02. (Now I See) With You

03. Points Of Authority

04. Plaster

05. Crawling

06. Run Away

07. The Untitled

08. By Myself

09. The Cure For Mr. Hahn's Itch

10. Pushing Me Away

11. A Place For My Head

12. Forgotten

So basically this is just Hybrid Theory (Unmastered Studio Finals 5/7/00), just the band had a different name, and The Cure (Cure For The Itch) was renamed The Cure for Mr. Hahn's Itch, and The Cure For Mr. Hahn's Itch (Pushing Me Away) was renamed to Pushing Me Away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

So basically this is just Hybrid Theory (Unmastered Studio Finals 5/7/00), just the band had a different name, and The Cure (Cure For The Itch) was renamed The Cure for Mr. Hahn's Itch, and The Cure For Mr. Hahn's Itch (Pushing Me Away) was renamed to Pushing Me Away.


Cure for the Itch was never "The Cure," and Pushing Me Away was never "The Cure for Mr. Hahn's Itch." That was just a misprint on the Studio Finals CD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2020 at 3:52 PM, X3RO said:

Great news, hopefully they'll release more xero songs.

Is the "great news" statementreferring to a rumor? Or is it just sounding hopeful? I'm just curious 

Edited by BladedChild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...