Jump to content
hahninator

Grey Daze - "Amends" out April 10

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, rasb said:

I got Amends the other day. It has good moments, but is distinctly underwhelming.

 

I always liked the original Grey Daze, and they have clearly taken a cue from how Reanimation drastically reworked tracks, changing the original grunge style to an electronic/industrial hybrid, and featuring guest musicians (who are barely perceptible on most tracks). The songs don't exactly represent the best of Grey Daze in my opinion, they seem to have generally gone for the darker songs to fit with the new style of music. It's not uncommon for a remix album to put a focus on the lesser known songs; however, for many it will be the first time they hear Grey Daze, so it presents a misleading idea of what they were like. They didn't have an electronic element in their original incarnation, for one thing.

 

The style they went for is well produced, and it puts a new spin on some of the tracks I never really liked, particularly "Sickness" and even an interesting twist on some I did like, "B12". On other tracks I always liked the originals of like "Morei Sky" and "Shouting Out", they change the atmosphere a bit too much. The big issue is that the dark mood removes the light and shade that was key to a lot of Grey Daze's work and just makes it a bit of a downer to listen to.

 

I obviously can't condone the way that Sean and the others connected to this project have acted, but it's an interesting listen and I'm still happy to see this band get wider recognition.

And this is exctly what I was talking about. A comment about the music, analyzing pros and cons in a mature and civil way. I don't agree with many of the things you said (as I said, I think the new versions are better than the old ones) but I really respect your point of view on  the album and it's a pleasure discussing about our different views ;)  

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

And this is exctly what I was talking about. A comment about the music, analyzing pros and cons in a mature and civil way. I don't agree with many of the things you said (as I said, I think the new versions are better than the old ones) but I really respect your point of view on  the album and it's a pleasure discussing about our different views ;)  

 

I'm not out to attack the band for remixing, as I said, I've always liked Reanimation. Just that I've been listening to the original albums for many years, so they'll always be the true ones for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rasb said:

 

I'm not out to attack the band for remixing, as I said, I've always liked Reanimation. Just that I've been listening to the original albums for many years, so they'll always be the true ones for me.

I get your perspective, and I totally accept it. I love Old GD but I always thought many (if not every) Songs needed to be refined. If you asked me like 10 years ago, I’d have loved a project like Amends ☺️😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

I get your perspective, and I totally accept it. I love Old GD but I always thought many (if not every) Songs needed to be refined. If you asked me like 10 years ago, I’d have loved a project like Amends ☺️😊

They definitely had what all amateur bands have, a handful of tracks that work, and a handful of ones that were pretty underwritten. I get it, as I am a musician myself and look back on some tracks on my oldest albums with "really? why did I do that?". There's no doubt that they benefitted from modern technology and promotion. I think maybe they should have adopted the formula laid down by the Michael Jackson Estate on the posthumous album Xscape - have the originals as extras (particularly as by what they say, several of the vocals were from the major label version of "No Sun Today" that never got released, and thus interesting for collectors).

 

I was happy to find the Grey Daze album in the charts of HMV over here. I thought that they would consider it too obscure, but it was where anyone who might have been curious would see it. So I hope GD follow it up with more releases.

Edited by rasb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rasb said:

They definitely had what all amateur bands have, a handful of tracks that work, and a handful of ones that were pretty underwritten. I get it, as I am a musician myself and look back on some tracks on my oldest albums with "really? why did I do that?". There's no doubt that they benefitted from modern technology and promotion. I think maybe they should have adopted the formula laid down by the Michael Jackson Estate on the posthumous album Xscape - have the originals as extras (particularly as by what they say, several of the vocals were from the major label version of "No Sun Today" that never got released, and thus interesting for collectors).

 

I was happy to find the Grey Daze album in the charts of HMV over here. I thought that they would consider it too obscure, but it was where anyone who might have been curious would see it. So I hope GD follow it up with more releases.

Sean said they have material for at least one more album, if not 2 so we’ll see 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They said a few times that they kept a few of their best tracks held back from Amends in order to put them on the second album. They are going to for sure do a second one but they mentioned they have enough for a third album.

 

This pop-style remix of Hole I thought was pretty good/cool, so maybe that will be on their second album. One advantage they have in remixing these songs is Chester's voice works with a LOT of different genres of music and he has sung in so many genres over time that no genre/style they try for a remix will come as a surprise for fans. I mean, Chester sang Cross Off, Heavy, Pushing Me Away (Piano), We Made It, Slow Ya Roll, covered all the iconic rock songs, etc... he can do it all.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hahninator said:

They said a few times that they kept a few of their best tracks held back from Amends in order to put them on the second album. They are going to for sure do a second one but they mentioned they have enough for a third album.

 

This pop-style remix of Hole I thought was pretty good/cool, so maybe that will be on their second album. One advantage they have in remixing these songs is Chester's voice works with a LOT of different genres of music and he has sung in so many genres over time that no genre/style they try for a remix will come as a surprise for fans. I mean, Chester sang Cross Off, Heavy, Pushing Me Away (Piano), We Made It, Slow Ya Roll, covered all the iconic rock songs, etc... he can do it all.

 

26 Lettaz, Bubbles, I mean the list of iconic Chester performances is extensive. LOL

 

All jokes aside, you're totally right. Chester's parts are timeless and can fit over pretty much any genre. With the right instrumental and production, it could be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2020 at 1:06 AM, hahninator said:

They said a few times that they kept a few of their best tracks held back from Amends in order to put them on the second album. They are going to for sure do a second one but they mentioned they have enough for a third album.

 

This pop-style remix of Hole I thought was pretty good/cool, so maybe that will be on their second album. One advantage they have in remixing these songs is Chester's voice works with a LOT of different genres of music and he has sung in so many genres over time that no genre/style they try for a remix will come as a surprise for fans. I mean, Chester sang Cross Off, Heavy, Pushing Me Away (Piano), We Made It, Slow Ya Roll, covered all the iconic rock songs, etc... he can do it all.

 

 

 

Yeah I want to hear Hole and also Drag, they said they did something special with that song. 
Also, seen what they did with Syndrome and She Shines, I can’t wait to hear Starting to Fly 😍

If you guys want I posted my review of the album in the general music section of the site;) 

The album debuted #9 in Germany, great 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike: "I haven't listened to it. It's weird to hear Chester that way, I think they used some vocals he had cut. I tried to watch Soul Song. I didn't connect with it, and it also made me sad so I can't listen to it"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Mike: "I haven't listened to it. It's weird to hear Chester that way, I think they used some vocals he had cut. I tried to watch Soul Song. I didn't connect with it, and it also made me sad so I can't listen to it"

As I said in the shout box, this is the reaction I expected from Mike. It wouldn’t be easy for him to listen to Chester’s voice for long. Also, Amends is very personal lyrically, like ETR or Halfway Right or In Pieces. Basically every song cuts deep into Chester’s life and feelings. yeah is a very sad record, especially cause some songs even have hope for something good to come, and now that he’s gone it’s even more sad (best examples being Morei Sky and Sometimes). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...