Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Garret

OML U.S. Tour Setlist?

Recommended Posts

What do you guys think would have been the setlist for this tour if it hadn't been cancelled and Chester didn't do what he did? There was a rumored Metallica cover for MGK's set so I don't think that would matter for the LP set. I think maybe the Rock Werchter set minus a song or two, or add a song or two. Depending. Don't think SFN or HW would have debuted in the tour, maybe in 2018 they would have, or Asia 2017. As far as older songs from before OML coming back for the tour, I don't think any would have for this tour. I think they would work with all the songs played so far in 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why but I have a feeling that they'd play Halfway Right and/or Sorry For Now. I remember the live stream with Mike on Instagram in which he thought that they did play Halfway Right live when he was asked about the song. I think that Mike was the brains behind LP setlists and maybe he already planned the setlist/setlists for this tour. The comeback of setlists rotation would be cool too, actually. I know they rotated old songs (APFMH, FTI, SIB) on the OML European Tour but I mean something more like in 2008 with different openings, encores, etc. I hope they'll do it more often when/if they come back. This was always an intriguing point for me after Chester's passing but I guess we'll never know.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blackout said:

I don't know why but I have a feeling that they'd play Halfway Right and/or Sorry For Now. I remember the live stream with Mike on Instagram in which he thought that they did play Halfway Right live when he was asked about the song. I think that Mike was the brains behind LP setlists and maybe he already planned the setlist/setlists for this tour. The comeback of setlists rotation would be cool too, actually. I know they rotated old songs (APFMH, FTI, SIB) on the OML European Tour but I mean something more like in 2008 with different openings, encores, etc. I hope they'll do it more often when/if they come back. This was always an intriguing point for me after Chester's passing but I guess we'll never know.     


Maybe they would have. But who knows. We have seen with many tours for the albums that usually save a couple songs to debut later in the cycle. Keep in mind, OML’s touring cycle would have been well into 2018, maybe even some of 2019. But definitely into 2018. I think we would have got a longer touring cycle than LT, which was the shortest one ever for the band. They saved BTH to debut late in 2003, basically 2004. They saved VD and IB from MTM until 2008, Blackout and BITS weren’t played at any of the first 3 ATS tours it wasn’t until Australia tour 2010. They were planning on debuting IBG in 2013 and basically only starting playing COG in 2013 (I know they played it at two little shows in December 2012). ALITS was saved until the later half of 2015 and it seems like the band was debating playing KTTK in 2015 too as we know. So really I think they would have been saved. Maybe SFN. But I think HW would have been saved or maybe never played. Really because it was so personal to Chester’s early life with drugs and stuff and cuz it was such a deep cut on the album. SFN was planned as a single in September 2017 which was when the US tour had a month break. Which is why I said maybe Asia 2017 in November they would have played it, but possible the west coast shows in October once the tour picked back up. 

Edited by Garret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Metallica cover was for the LP encore, with MGK joining them. It was something MGK and Chester wanted to do, they came up with the idea is what it sounded like.

I think SFN and Halfway Right were rehearsed for sure, I mean Mike debuted SFN *immediately* solo, and he thought they played Halfway Right at the Hollywood Bowl. Not sure if they'd have added them for the USA but definitely by Australia 2018. There weren't many more deep cuts they NEEDED to play, I mean the rotation of SIB, POA, FTI, APFMH is literally perfect as those are four of their best live tracks. We all love WTCFM but I don't see them playing that. I thought the OML sets in Europe were tremendous. For the USA I would expect them to keep it generally the same but of course with 2-3 tweaks like they usually do. The cover song, maybe debut another OML track, etc. Sharp Edges to open the encore I thought was a great move.

Wow it has really been a long time since they played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the OML setlist surprised me so much in the sense that they dropped some of the older stuff in favor of more new stuff. Like 7 OML songs, new version (and best in my opinion) of Leave Out All the Rest, The Catalyst, Lost In the Echo. Only thing that bugged me was that Wastelands was all that remained of THP. Anyway, it was a well balanced set!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RickLPL said:

I remember the OML setlist surprised me so much in the sense that they dropped some of the older stuff in favor of more new stuff. Like 7 OML songs, new version (and best in my opinion) of Leave Out All the Rest, The Catalyst, Lost In the Echo. Only thing that bugged me was that Wastelands was all that remained of THP. Anyway, it was a well balanced set!

 I think they were singing 8 OML songs? 
talking to myself, battle symphony, invisible, nobody can save me now, one more light, good goodbye, sharp edges and heavy? Which is great, only two songs were not performed and i think they would be eventually on further legs. Its great after they have abandoned THP and have performed like half of the songs.

I think the OMLT setlist was A+ considering they had like 7 albums to perform singles from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right, but since battle symphony and nobody can save me were being rotated, there were only 7 OML songs in the set per show. Other than that, it was indeed an impressive setlist
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RickLPL said:

You're right, but since battle symphony and nobody can save me were being rotated, there were only 7 OML songs in the set per show. Other than that, it was indeed an impressive setlist
 

Oh yes this is what you have meant, you’re correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They also were def getting more creative with the mashups. My favorite part of OML Europe was RTN/WFTE because they had actually mashed up the music and beats of both songs, rather than just having Mike rap a verse from one song over another. All of a sudden the Post-Traumatic tour had a lot of that going on like Papercut/About You etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

They also were def getting more creative with the mashups. My favorite part of OML Europe was RTN/WFTE because they had actually mashed up the music and beats of both songs, rather than just having Mike rap a verse from one song over another. All of a sudden the Post-Traumatic tour had a lot of that going on like Papercut/About You etc.


The mash ups weren’t bad. They started those basically in 2012 with ballad medley, victimized/Qwerty and LFY/Papercut. But the OML tour ones were cool too. THP set was weird, the 2014 one. Didn’t like those shortened songs and medley type things back then. They also of course had the hip hop medley in 2004. OML tour was a creative set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Garret said:


The mash ups weren’t bad. They started those basically in 2012 with ballad medley, victimized/Qwerty and LFY/Papercut. But the OML tour ones were cool too. THP set was weird, the 2014 one. Didn’t like those shortened songs and medley type things back then. They also of course had the hip hop medley in 2004. OML tour was a creative set. 

I understand its always annoying to have songs cut instead of hearing them in full but with each album they are having more and more singles to play as well as other songs so they are doing what they can to play as many songs as fans would like to hear. LP is not the only performer who is doing medleys/ cutting songs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sordomuda said:

I understand its always annoying to have songs cut instead of hearing them in full but with each album they are having more and more singles to play as well as other songs so they are doing what they can to play as many songs as fans would like to hear. LP is not the only performer who is doing medleys/ cutting songs. 


I just didn’t like the shortened songs mostly. The only one they kept like that was LITE in 2017. But it was still a lot of the song unlike in 2014. Don’t mind the medley stuff at all, never have. 


Also, not every single they released before Chester died was a massive hit. Sure, some were popular, but some mainstream listeners might not have known every single ever released even. Hell, as long as LP was playing ITE and Numb, that covered most bases for some. But they played most of them and didn’t need to shorten songs at all. Just my opinion. I read that Mike wanted the set in 2014 to flow like a DJ set so that’s why they did it and kept it but who knows. It doesn’t work good for a rock band like LP. I’d prefer if they just have like a 22-23 song with just full songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I’m alone in this but I make clear distinctions in my mind between Mashups, Medleys, and DJ sets, even if there is some overlap between them at times. To me, Medleys, as one cohesive piece, move from one song to the next like the Hip-Hop and Ballad Medleys do respectively. DJ sets are what Mike and Joe’s “solos” were during the Carnivore tour blending and interweaving several studio tracks together live. Mashups are when you layer a core element of one clear song over a core element of another clear song, like when Mike raps a FM or HT verse over the intro or bridge of another distinct song. What made RTN/WFTE stand out to me among anything else they’ve done was that not only where they putting one song’s lyrics over another song’s music, they also blended the music, syncing the RTN strings with the WFTE synth and drums, which iirc was a new trick and then something Mike started doing a lot more of it during PTT

 

EDIT e.g. It’s the same thing that makes Jigga What/Faint stand out from the rest of CC because it’s the only one that actually blends musical elements of both songs

Edited by OKCrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

Maybe I’m alone in this but I make clear distinctions in my mind between Mashups, Medleys, and DJ sets, even if there is some overlap between them at times. To me, Medleys, as one cohesive piece, move from one song to the next like the Hip-Hop and Ballad Medleys do respectively. DJ sets are what Mike and Joe’s “solos” were during the Carnivore tour blending and interweaving several studio tracks together live. Mashups are when you layer a core element of one clear song over a core element of another clear song, like when Mike raps a FM or HT verse over the intro or bridge of another distinct song. What made RTN/WFTE stand out to me among anything else they’ve done was that not only where they putting one song’s lyrics over another song’s music, they also blended the music, syncing the RTN strings with the WFTE synth and drums, which iirc was a new trick and then something Mike started doing a lot more of it during PTT

 

EDIT e.g. It’s the same thing that makes Jigga What/Faint stand out from the rest of CC because it’s the only one that actually blends musical elements of both songs


Fantastic post. Learned a lot here. Jigga What/Faint is also my favorite track off of CC so it’s cool to know that, I never realized that fully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Garret said:


Fantastic post. Learned a lot here. Jigga What/Faint is also my favorite track off of CC so it’s cool to know that, I never realized that fully.

 

Thank you kindly. Yeah it’s mine too. I was in hs when it came out and distinctly remember the first time I heard it. I flipped out when those Faint strings came in over the JW beat halfway through Jay’s first verse and then again halfway through Mike’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...