OKCrew

Post-Meteora Hahn Scratches

Something I have thought about ever since the release of Minutes to Midnight, but never discussed with anyone before, is how Joe's role evolved over the years. When M2M was released, there was so much sheer change in the band's music to unpack, but I only noticed maybe one message board touch specifically on the absence of the sound of Joe scratching. ATS moved even further into experimental territory (rightfully so), but again one could really only audibly make out the turntable scratches on two tracks. Fortunately, Joe is great at incorporating his trademark cuts and blends into live versions of songs that don't have them in their studio counterparts (audibly at least), but by my count, there has only been a total 4 studio tracks in Linkin Park's latter decade to include Mr. Hahn's trademark scratching:

1. What I've Done

2. In Pieces

3. The Catalyst

4. Wretches & Kings

Have I missed any? I'm a huge fan of the live version of Lost in the Echo, but it sounds like in the studio version, Chester's bridge vocals are cut up by a sampler and not an actual turntable. 

Also want to clarify this is not a complaint by any means, just an observation. Living Things, Hunting Party, and One More Light are all amazing albums, and Joe continues to contribute in the multitude of ways he always has, but turntablism has always been such a cool element of Linkin Park and music in general, and we see less of it everyday.

Joe does awesome scratches on Announcement Service Public too, when the heavy guitar part kicks in. It’s actually one of my favorite songs that utilizes him, ever. It’s one of my favorite LP songs of all time actually. It’s always forgotten about and never talked about.

But yeah, I can hear him on WID, but that one is obvious. Is he on In Pieces? That’s cool. I think he may do something on Valentine’s Day and TLTGYA too but they are buried in the mix. 

I feel like Joe’s scratching was a big part of the band’s sound prior to MTM. Even though it was rarely discussed. It wasn’t too much. It was just enough. But it was uniquely LP. I guess since MTM was kind of more of an alt. rock type sounding album that maybe it didn’t really go well with it. I remember Mike saying on the MTM DVD that he tried putting rap stuff on songs but he thought it sounded cheesy. Maybe that’s the case for the scratching. But he does do some stuff on MTM. I can’t hear him on ATS even though you provided  songs. As far as LT, THP and OML go, I don’t think he is even on those albums. Lol.

8 hours ago, sordomuda said:

Interesting topic! I think you are correct right now i cant think of any other album version song. 

Thanks! Definitely gratifying knowing I'm not crazy to think it's interesting to bring up lol

53 minutes ago, Garret said:

Joe does awesome scratches on Announcement Service Public too, when the heavy guitar part kicks in. It’s actually one of my favorite songs that utilizes him, ever. It’s one of my favorite LP songs of all time actually. It’s always forgotten about and never talked about.

But yeah, I can hear him on WID, but that one is obvious. Is he on In Pieces? That’s cool. I think he may do something on Valentine’s Day and TLTGYA too but they are buried in the mix. 

I feel like Joe’s scratching was a big part of the band’s sound prior to MTM. Even though it was rarely discussed. It wasn’t too much. It was just enough. But it was uniquely LP. I guess since MTM was kind of more of an alt. rock type sounding album that maybe it didn’t really go well with it. I remember Mike saying on the MTM DVD that he tried putting rap stuff on songs but he thought it sounded cheesy. Maybe that’s the case for the scratching. But he does do some stuff on MTM. I can’t hear him on ATS even though you provided  songs. As far as LT, THP and OML go, I don’t think he is even on those albums. Lol.

I loved the whole LPU 6 CD myself! QWERTY (Studio) was also epic. He's def on In Pieces, in an actually very similar fashion to how he is on WID (a scratch or 2 every other measure or so). I agree that there are some record/vinyl-type sounds on the two M2M tracks you mentioned, as well as on Wake, but not the kind of scratching I was initially looking for. And I definitely think you're right that Mike, Joe, and the rest were specifically trying to move away from nu-Metal elements, including Joe's trademark distorted turntables, as much as possible (and probably would sound cheesy on the tracks we got blessed with). As for ATS, the turntables actually return to a more prominent role in my opinion (at least on the two tracks you can hear them). Catalyst has them in the intro and throughout, and then Wretches & King has that sick turntable solo at the end. I'll never forget when they released it as a promo a few days before ATS dropped. I went straight to my car to blast it for my first listen. I never forgot hearing that solo come in for the first time. I lost my damn mind lol

1 hour ago, OKCrew said:

Thanks! Definitely gratifying knowing I'm not crazy to think it's interesting to bring up lol

I loved the whole LPU 6 CD myself! QWERTY (Studio) was also epic. He's def on In Pieces, in an actually very similar fashion to how he is on WID (a scratch or 2 every other measure or so). I agree that there are some record/vinyl-type sounds on the two M2M tracks you mentioned, as well as on Wake, but not the kind of scratching I was initially looking for. And I definitely think you're right that Mike, Joe, and the rest were specifically trying to move away from nu-Metal elements, including Joe's trademark distorted turntables, as much as possible (and probably would sound cheesy on the tracks we got blessed with). As for ATS, the turntables actually return to a more prominent role in my opinion (at least on the two tracks you can hear them). Catalyst has them in the intro and throughout, and then Wretches & King has that sick turntable solo at the end. I'll never forget when they released it as a promo a few days before ATS dropped. I went straight to my car to blast it for my first listen. I never forgot hearing that solo come in for the first time. I lost my damn mind lol

Yeah the LPU6 CD is a classic. At the time that it dropped it was fucking awesome to 16 year old me. Loved ASP and Qwerty studio version, and the live tracks were really great with Qwerty live and RME. PMA was also cool because this was late 2006 before we got so many recordings of it in 2007/2008 plus the one from 2006 is slightly different and better. BTH is actually very good from Japan 2006 too. Japan 2006 is the best the band has ever sounded live next to PR04.

But yeah, I totally forgot the scratches on the intro to The Catalyst. Wow. I never listen to ATS so that’s probably why. I bet if I threw it on I could hear some Joe stuff.

2 hours ago, Garret said:

Yeah the LPU6 CD is a classic. At the time that it dropped it was fucking awesome to 16 year old me. Loved ASP and Qwerty studio version, and the live tracks were really great with Qwerty live and RME. PMA was also cool because this was late 2006 before we got so many recordings of it in 2007/2008 plus the one from 2006 is slightly different and better. BTH is actually very good from Japan 2006 too. Japan 2006 is the best the band has ever sounded live next to PR04.

But yeah, I totally forgot the scratches on the intro to The Catalyst. Wow. I never listen to ATS so that’s probably why. I bet if I threw it on I could hear some Joe stuff.

Reading My Eyes that was so fire!!! I never heard it live before. Summer Sonic 06 was just epic in general. That piano version of PMA. That's what clinched "Bennoda" being our gen's Lennon/McCartney for me. 

20 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

Reading My Eyes that was so fire!!! I never heard it live before. Summer Sonic 06 was just epic in general. That piano version of PMA. That's what clinched "Bennoda" being our gen's Lennon/McCartney for me. 

Yup, agreed fully. 

6 hours ago, sordomuda said:

Are you a DJ or so that you are so passionate about it? 

Sorry I missed this comment somehow. Not a DJ, just a really big fan of the art. Was a big Run-DMC/Jam Master Jay fan in elementary school, and then in middle school got into Linkin Park, Dilated Peoples, and the X-Ecutioners at around the same time, and the one thing they all had in common was turntablism. I still follow DJ Babu and he's still putting out amazing stuff and trying to keep the art alive with his "Beat Junkies Online DJ School." I think the problem is it's way more expensive (and niche) to be an OG DJ than it was when the technique was created and times just change. The fact Linkin Park was even doing it in 2010 was amazing