Sign in to follow this  
GarretLP

Discussion on MALL

The reason that I made this thread is because of a lot of mis-information (IMO) on the 6 Linkin Park tracks included with MALL.

DANCER: Linkinpedia says this song is from the MTM sessions. Where is the proof? Astat said in late 2014/early 2015 that the song uses a finger picking style from Brad that was used on BITS and a few other ATS era songs. Just because it originally had ''donna'' vocals doesn't mean it was from MTM automatically. The band used the donna vocals thing in ATS and with LT, and we even have demos from these eras with this, not to mention the band mentioning it during interviews, etc. I don't think the song is from the MTM sessions at all. I think it's from the ATS sessions.

THE LAST LINE (Ammosick): During an episode of LPTV for ATS, the song ''The Last Line'' was shown on a demo board, meaning that the final title of the song was used back in that time, way before 2014. Neal Avron mixed MTM, yes, but he also mixed ATS. So judging by the fact that they used The Last Line title with the ATS boards, I think the version on the soundtrack is definitely the ATS final recording for it. I know the song originated during the MTM era. I don't even think that the version Mike posted in 2014 on YouTube is the MTM version, it's probably just a rough version of what they were doing with the song during ATS until Neal mixed it with ATS. Of course, I don't know for sure about that version, but I think the version mixed by Neal on the soundtrack is 100% the ATS version. Ammosick would have also had to make it to the album mixing for MTM to have Neal mix it and it more than likely didn't make the 17 songs cut for MTM, not to mention that it was called Ammosick then anyways.

DEVIL's DROP (Warm Spell): Definitely a LT demo since Warm Spell was shown on the LT demo boards and Mike flat out said it was from the LT sessions.

IT GOES THROUGH (Luna): This one is tricky. Is it from the LT sessions or the ATS sessions? The title Luna did appear on Stagelight alongside titles like Grudematch and others from the ATS sessions, so I think it's from the ATS era. It also has that ATS sound, IMO. But it also could be from LT, who knows, can't know for sure. But more signs point to it being from ATS, so I'll say that.

MAL RX7 (Buttermilk/Milk): So we all know this demo is from ATS as it was proven.

WHITE NOISE: People say it's from THP sessions just because it was shown on a lyric sheet during a making of clip for THP. But MALL was also being finalized at the same time THP was being written. Mark Fiore could have very well captured it while the band was working on it for MALL during this time and just threw it in the video for THP. The song wasn't shown on THP demo boards and was never mentioned as being from THP. It could be from ATS, LT, you never know. The fact that it has screaming doesn't have to mean it's from THP as we got songs like Blackout, Victimized, LGM, etc from those eras. Joe talked about how he always envisioned a person driving a car to the song, so he did that in the movie. But he never mentioned when it was from. It could very well be THP. I think we should look more into it.

Edited by GarretLP

For White Noise: There appears to be very similar sounds to that music box thing used in the intro during The Summoning as well. Could be an indication of some connection between the two? (Like the Cure For The Itch/High Voltage transition that was kept on HT even though HV was ultimately cut)

On 5/8/2019 at 12:27 AM, GarretLP said:

Joe talked about how he always envisioned a person driving a car to the song, so he did that in the movie.

Do you remember where he said that?