Jump to content
SerioDrew

OML Unreleased Song "What Are You Worth"

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, SerioDrew said:

 

I dont believe so, i think the first time it was heard of was 2 days before it got leaked when a guy posted a snippet of the song in his soundcloud

 

I know that someone already had the song in January and even talked with Mike about it during the M&G on some PT show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, wesleylpbr said:

 

I know that someone already had the song in January and even talked with Mike about it during the M&G on some PT show

What did Mike say about it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SerioDrew said:

There really aint that much info available about the song.

 

Warner Bros. Records wants it that way. They basically want everyone to just forget that the song ever leaked and never talk about it again.

Edited by GarretLP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean of course I understand Warner (or the band) not wanting any song to leak, cause they could have profit out of it in the future (or for sentimental value for the band). But shit happens, pretending that it never leaked and trying so hard to erase its existance doesnt really help. I mean its 1 song out of thousands of demos that the band has made all these years. Its not like songs are being leaked this way often. Most of unheard demos we've found have been "discovered" rather than leaked. I understand that it might have sentimental value for the band if Chester was involved in it (seems to be contriversial if Chester does those backing vocals), but if it doesnt its just 1 song, it be better if Warner and LP promoted the song instead of trying to bury it. Even posting about it on social media or release it in the best quality for free would be very nice. Its free advertisment anyway I dont think its such a huge deal after all for a band like LP with thousands of demos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RickLPL said:

Wooow take it easy man

 

I could not resist, seeing (not the first time on this site) such shit.

Edited by martinez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, martinez said:

 

I could not resist, seeing (not the first time on this site) such shit.

 

Sorry. I'll try to not post stuff like that in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 1:57 PM, SerioDrew said:

I mean of course I understand Warner (or the band) not wanting any song to leak, cause they could have profit out of it in the future (or for sentimental value for the band). But shit happens, pretending that it never leaked and trying so hard to erase its existance doesnt really help. I mean its 1 song out of thousands of demos that the band has made all these years. Its not like songs are being leaked this way often. Most of unheard demos we've found have been "discovered" rather than leaked. I understand that it might have sentimental value for the band if Chester was involved in it (seems to be contriversial if Chester does those backing vocals), but if it doesnt its just 1 song, it be better if Warner and LP promoted the song instead of trying to bury it. Even posting about it on social media or release it in the best quality for free would be very nice. Its free advertisment anyway I dont think its such a huge deal after all for a band like LP with thousands of demos.

 

I disagree but I will explain why.

 

LPLive, in the past, has taken a stance of being very... "pro-leak". We leaked a lot of stuff ourselves, a substantial amount of that being studio demos and professionally recorded stuff. The band and label looked the other way on most of that stuff until Chester passed. The conversations I had with them after I posted the Chester Dead By Sunrise demos indicated that their position has changed, RIGHTFULLY so since Chester is no longer here and the "vault" of stuff is now limited with no future additions by Chester being possible. They have been nothing but courteous to us in the past when we posted things like the Reanimation demos, etc. Mike wasn't against us sharing Xero demos, stuff like that.

 

WBR knows this song leaked. The band knows this song leaked. If they wanted to make a statement on it, they would. They are in an extremely vulnerable situation right now. Mike's world tour is over, there is complete silence from LP, etc. They are obviously trying to figure out if they can go on as a group, and if so, how. And on top of all of those difficult discussions, now a full song from the OML era leaks out of nowhere meaning they probably are unsure of how it even happened. So what else is compromised? Imagine being in the band and that happens. If Mike wanted us to have it, share it, and talk all about it, he'd have addressed it like he has addressed leaks before.

 

Warner is going to bat 110% for LP right now because of those reasons. Sure, they can look the other way on stuff, but that's a dick move to leak a full Linkin Park song when the band is in such a terrible spot. I don't blame them at all for going after the song. They obviously don't want to promote the song as it has no business being out there. If it was intended to be released, it would be released. Their first "promoted release" after OML Live isn't going to be some early OML demo. 

 

This typically wouldn't be a big deal. Mike would probably be like "lol, you guys found something cool", but it's all about the timing, it's all about this happening so soon (in real terms for the band) after Chester's passing, and it happening by someone not affiliated with the band. For those reasons, I'm on their side on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 9:21 PM, Hahninator said:

 

I disagree but I will explain why.

 

LPLive, in the past, has taken a stance of being very... "pro-leak". We leaked a lot of stuff ourselves, a substantial amount of that being studio demos and professionally recorded stuff. The band and label looked the other way on most of that stuff until Chester passed. The conversations I had with them after I posted the Chester Dead By Sunrise demos indicated that their position has changed, RIGHTFULLY so since Chester is no longer here and the "vault" of stuff is now limited with no future additions by Chester being possible. They have been nothing but courteous to us in the past when we posted things like the Reanimation demos, etc. Mike wasn't against us sharing Xero demos, stuff like that.

 

WBR knows this song leaked. The band knows this song leaked. If they wanted to make a statement on it, they would. They are in an extremely vulnerable situation right now. Mike's world tour is over, there is complete silence from LP, etc. They are obviously trying to figure out if they can go on as a group, and if so, how. And on top of all of those difficult discussions, now a full song from the OML era leaks out of nowhere meaning they probably are unsure of how it even happened. So what else is compromised? Imagine being in the band and that happens. If Mike wanted us to have it, share it, and talk all about it, he'd have addressed it like he has addressed leaks before.

 

Warner is going to bat 110% for LP right now because of those reasons. Sure, they can look the other way on stuff, but that's a dick move to leak a full Linkin Park song when the band is in such a terrible spot. I don't blame them at all for going after the song. They obviously don't want to promote the song as it has no business being out there. If it was intended to be released, it would be released. Their first "promoted release" after OML Live isn't going to be some early OML demo. 

 

This typically wouldn't be a big deal. Mike would probably be like "lol, you guys found something cool", but it's all about the timing, it's all about this happening so soon (in real terms for the band) after Chester's passing, and it happening by someone not affiliated with the band. For those reasons, I'm on their side on this one.

 

I don't really agree with Warner or even the band if they have the same stance as Warner on this. But that's just coming from me personally, as a fan. I want to hear unreleased songs and demos from the LP vault spanning from 1999-2017.

 

They have at least over 1000 of these tracks. Chester said in 2017 that he has heard over a thousand Linkin Park demos. They wrote A LOT for each album, fans don't realize this. I don't want Chester's memory to ever fade away. I want to hear his voice on stuff like this for years to come. Even if we get instrumental demos from 1999-2017, it was still made when Chester was alive in the band, you know? I want all that stuff. Why shouldn't they give us something like the Thoughts That Take Away My Pride demo from Meteora for example? It's from 2002, they are never going to do anything with it (and for the smartasses out there who say ''the band might work on it again in the future, seriously shut up with logic like that). Why not just give it to fans who have been asking for it since 2003?

 

Honestly, Chester was my hero. Ever since he passed, what has helped me is listening to his voice and celebrating his life as a musician, just like how I got to know him as a fan. I love listening to Linkin Park. A lot of fans didn't want to listen to Linkin Park music after he passed, or it was too hard for them to do, even. But for me, it was the one thing that helped me, from literally the day he passed. I threw on One More Light the day he passed and I have been listening to Linkin Park ever since. I will always listen to them, forever. They are my absolute favorite band and it will never change. Even if they never make another song, I will still listen to them everyday for the rest of my life.

 

I understand not wanting songs from Warner promo discs and stuff leaking, such as multi-tracks, etc. I'm fine with that. At the end of the day, they are a label, and they don't want full songs and multi-tracks and stuff just leaking online for anyone to download. I understand why the band wouldn't want it, either. But you have to draw a line at a certain point. I don't think you are a bad person as a fan if you listen to a leaked track.

Edited by GarretLP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're contradicting yourself...what don't you agree with Warner then if you write that none of this should have been leaked and you understand that they are pissed?

 

I agree with what Hahninator wrote - LP should be the ones who decide when they are ready to release demos again. However, imho they should look the other way when it comes to multitracks, instrumentals and alike. Its all from music we already bought and it's just interesting for the hardcore fans to hear the separate layers (or for remixing purposes).

 

My thought is also that they might be pissed because the song that leaked has Mike as a lead vocalist. So, if a lot of people hear a new song from Linkin Park that has Mike as the lead makes people believe that's the direction LP decided to go to. They surely don't want to be pressured into a decision.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why haven't LP released a B-Side album yet like The Used did with Shallow Believer in 2008? They could give us like a 21 song CD of B-Sides from all albums and make an album out of it. But no they won't do anything like that. Fans want to hear unreleased stuff. I guarantee each of the 7 albums had at least 3 complete B-Side songs. B-Side as in full songs like ATL. Chester said during an interview in 2017 that he has listened to thousands of LP demos. That means they have a lot and there is easily at least 3 complete songs per album. I'm not saying they should give us it all. But maybe 3 for each album would be fine and fans would love it. I know that I would personally buy multiple copies.

 

If they took 3 B-Sides from each of the 7 albums, we could have a nice 21 track B-Side album that would shut fans up forever about unreleased stuff. The band are healing and it will take time, I understand that. But why not give fans something like this in the mean time? I think it would be really cool and right now is the best time to do it, if they ever are going to do it. It's been almost 2 years, I don't think people would view it as a cash grab. It's a reason to celebrate the band's legacy and Chester, too. Make it a proper release, with a CD, maybe a vinyl, Apple Music, Spotify, etc. I would buy multiple copies, like I said, and I think a lot of other fans would, too. They could even donate profits to MFR or the OML fund (if that's still a thing). Hell, even 320.

Edited by GarretLP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love a b-side compilation from Linkin Park. I think that would be the perfect thing to put out right now during this period of silence. Sure some people would see it as a cash grab but those people are gonna complain about anything the band does post-Chester anyway. Linkin Park is one of my favorite bands and Chester is one of my favorite musicians and I'd love to hear some more of what they put together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GarretLP said:

Why haven't LP released a B-Side album yet like The Used did with Shallow Believer in 2008? They could give us like a 21 song CD of B-Sides from all albums and make an album out of it. But no they won't do anything like that. Fans want to hear unreleased stuff. They shouldn't get mad and act all nazi on fans like Adam did because people wanted to hear a OML B-Side that leaked. I guarantee each 7 albums had at least 3 complete B-Side songs. B-Side as in full songs like ATL.

 

If they took 3 B-Sides from each of the 7 albums, we could have a nice 21 track B-Side album that would shut fans up forever about unreleased stuff.

 

They will probably release demos again once they have decided what LP's future will be. If they are not ready to release new/old music then it's their call.

I feel like there's a high chance that LP will release some demos within LPU in the next couple years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not defending the leak really. I understand all the reasons that a leak hurts the band and the label. What I'm saying is, shit happens, it happened this one time, trying to erase from the fans minds that the song ever leaked isnt helping, thats all Im saying. Otherwise I completely understand everyone's stand in this, just saying that this anger the fans for no reason really. No matter how hard they try to erase the song's existance we won't forget it so it just doesnt help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as song info goes, this is mostly conjecture/connecting-the-dots type stuff, but I can offer the following:

-At least some of the guitar on this song is in drop C tuning, which is completely out of character for anything Mike and/or Brad would have been doing in 2016.
-Chester's definitely not on the song, but a lot of the higher background vocals don't really sound like Mike.

-Brian Howes, the previously-mentioned writer of the song, was the lead singer/guitarist of the band Closure years ago, they had a somewhat successful single in "Look Out Below" back in 2003:


Putting all that together, my assumption is that Brian is playing at least some of the guitar and singing background vocals on the recording.

Also, the second to last line of the chorus should be "unless you've got your word," not "unless you've got your worth." I haven't seen anyone get that right. The first line of the song might also be "day, night" instead of "daylight," I'm not totally sure.

Edited by Astat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Astat said:

As far as song info goes, this is mostly conjecture/connecting-the-dots type stuff, but I can offer the following:

-At least some of the guitar on this song is in drop C tuning, which is completely out of character for anything Mike and/or Brad would have been doing in 2016.
-Chester's definitely not on the song, but a lot of the higher background vocals don't really sound like Mike.

-Brian Howes, the previously-mentioned writer of the song, was the lead singer/guitarist of the band Closure years ago, they had a somewhat successful single in "Look Out Below" back in 2003:


Putting all that together, my assumption is that Brian is playing at least some of the guitar and singing background vocals on the recording.

Also, the second to last line of the chorus should be "unless you've got your word," not "unless you've got your worth." I haven't seen anyone get that right. The first line of the song might also be "day, night" instead of "daylight," I'm not totally sure.

 

Cool info. Been waiting for some kind of info on this track. Hmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...