2017.05.22 - Burbank, CA - iHeartRadio Release Party

My December (the first verse and chorus) was soundchecked before the show.

Source.

Yeah, why not? Let's just play soft stuff from the only period that makes their live show worth it. Even crawling has turned into some slow piano nonsense. What next? Faint orchestral instrumental? Bleed it out funky beach remix?

No more passion in their live shows. Sad.

Faint orchestral instrumental?

Live orchestral versions of songs can actually be both epic and pretty heavy:

I think it's quite exaggerated to say LP's live shows is only good because of the heavy HT era songs. In fact, I actually feel like the HT/M songs take up too much of the setlist and they need to cut some of them out to play more songs from MTM/ATS/LT/THP/OML.

Live orchestral versions of songs can actually be both epic and pretty heavy:

I think you misunderstood it. Nightwish releases orchestral versions of their albums and they're all instrumental. I guess that's what he meant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwJ6Y933xyM

I think you mean "symphonic version":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-H35AVXDkc

I think you misunderstood it. Nightwish releases orchestral versions of their albums and they're all instrumental. I guess that's what he meant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwJ6Y933xyM

I think you mean "symphonic version":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-H35AVXDkc

These videos are from a show BMTH did with an orchestra and a choir last year so I thought I could toss them here as a reply to the "live orchestral version" comment. Maybe I misunderstood it :lol: Either way, my point is there's no reason to hate on them for trying to mix it up a bit with their older stuff. The piano version of Crawling sounds better to me than any other live performance of the song in YEARS.

lol. I dislike OML, but how can you say there is no passion in the live show? That is total bullshit and you know it.

Mike is blowing up on Good Goodbye live. Really animated on Invisible too. One More Light? Did you even see it performed?

They just added new intros to songs, brought older songs back, are playing a 25 song setlist with a new show intro. There is absolutely a LOT of passion, just different than the "balls to the wall" 7-8 heavy songs that kicked our asses to start the setlists 2007-2009. They are also talking a lot more between songs than the entire THP world tour.

If there was no passion they'd cop out with just a few songs from the new album live versus SIX before the thing even came out, and if there was no passion they wouldn't have done all all of these changes to the set, and if there was no passion, they wouldn't be talking between songs. Trust me, I've seen them on stage without passion and this is far from it.

lol. I dislike OML, but how can you say there is no passion in the live show? That is total bullshit and you know it.

Mike is blowing up on Good Goodbye live. Really animated on Invisible too. One More Light? Did you even see it performed?

They just added new intros to songs, brought older songs back, are playing a 25 song setlist with a new show intro. There is absolutely a LOT of passion, just different than the "balls to the wall" 7-8 heavy songs that kicked our asses to start the setlists 2007-2009. They are also talking a lot more between songs than the entire THP world tour.

If there was no passion they'd cop out with just a few songs from the new album live versus SIX before the thing even came out, and if there was no passion they wouldn't have done all all of these changes to the set, and if there was no passion, they wouldn't be talking between songs. Trust me, I've seen them on stage without passion and this is far from it.

From the inside on RAR 2004, Papercut at Docklands 2001... That's passion.

My problem is that they are filtering all the songs that get the crowd going. And once they decide to play some older stuff, they choose to rehearse My December or they switch a heavy song like Crawling for a piano version. How many piano songs do we get in one evening?

Of course, lp plays their songs with passion. But don't tell me that this setlist gets the crowd going like it used to. Only because of their setlist choices.

Great that they are talking more, but that probably takes more energy than singing a simple song like Battle Symphony.

So, putting passion in the live show just means playing energetic songs to you? I always thought being passionate about the live show meant putting your all into it, making it an emotional experience/release for the artist, which this set 100% is. But hey, you've got your views.

One More Light on Jimmy Kimmel? That's passion

Are the sets as energetic as they were a few years ago? No, but I don't think they need to be. They're making a statement. They don't have to rely on HT and Meteora, the band is more than that. They always have been, and I'd rather a set that the band feels passionate about playing than heavy songs for the sake of heavy songs.

From the inside on RAR 2004, Papercut at Docklands 2001... That's passion.

My problem is that they are filtering all the songs that get the crowd going. And once they decide to play some older stuff, they choose to rehearse My December or they switch a heavy song like Crawling for a piano version. How many piano songs do we get in one evening?

Of course, lp plays their songs with passion. But don't tell me that this setlist gets the crowd going like it used to. Only because of their setlist choices.

Great that they are talking more, but that probably takes more energy than singing a simple song like Battle Symphony.

Translation: "I'm one of those APFMH fanboys who will do a complete 180 and say the set is great if they add it to the show, even if they don't change anything else about the set."

People may think I'm being hyperbolic here, but it's literally happened with a surprisingly large number of people on the forums every single time that song's been brought back after any kind of absence, lol.

What do you want them to do, play the full version of Crawling in its original key with the full band again even though it and Given Up have been utterly destroying Chester's voice for a decade or more? The piano version in the current set isn't just about doing something different, it's about doing something for the sake of the longevity of their lead singer's ability to continue having a fucking career, lol.

Yeah let's just go ahead and do that, plus throw APFMH, With You, From the Inside, and Lying From You back in the set, drop all but 2 songs from the new album they're trying to promote, and call it "more passionate." Because clearly, "passion" and "early 2000's nu metal teen angst" are fucking synonyms. Nevermind the fact that these guys are in their 40s and maybe, just maybe, "YOU TRY TO TAKE THE BEST OF ME, GO AWAY" seems a little juvenile and/or insincere to them literally TWO DECADES after originally writing that song?

Translation: "I'm one of those APFMH fanboys who will do a complete 180 and say the set is great if they add it to the show, even if they don't change anything else about the set."

People may think I'm being hyperbolic here, but it's literally happened with a surprisingly large number of people on the forums every single time that song's been brought back after any kind of absence, lol.

What do you want them to do, play the full version of Crawling in its original key with the full band again even though it and Given Up have been utterly destroying Chester's voice for a decade or more? The piano version in the current set isn't just about doing something different, it's about doing something for the sake of the longevity of their lead singer's ability to continue having a fucking career, lol.

Yeah let's just go ahead and do that, plus throw APFMH, With You, From the Inside, and Lying From You back in the set, drop all but 2 songs from the new album they're trying to promote, and call it "more passionate." Because clearly, "passion" and "early 2000's nu metal teen angst" are fucking synonyms. Nevermind the fact that these guys are in their 40s and maybe, just maybe, "YOU TRY TO TAKE THE BEST OF ME, GO AWAY" seems a little juvenile and/or insincere to them literally TWO DECADES after originally writing that song?

What I don't get is why you always have to react so arrogant against other people using this forum. It's just another opinion, but somehow you always seek confrontation with the way you formulate your words. It's feels like you overcompensate and act like a true Internet hero. It's a pity and unnecessary.

With that said: I don't care too much about which older songs are played. It's just that a Linkin Park show is not a Linkin Park show anymore. Even if they would drop all HT and Meteora songs, they could still come up with a Linkin Park show. Now we are just standing there, listening to 25 minutes of piano music and some pop songs. It's just not Linkin Park anymore...

If chester can't perform their songs anymore, he should just stop. Or Linkin Park should change its name. They are spitting on their own legacy. Don't get me wrong, I even like some songs of the new record and I feel like I am one of they only ones here that likes Castle of Dance and the Mr Hahn medley. But at this point, burn it down, numb and new divide are part of the wilder songs in the setlist... What the hell is that? Why don't they just drop off an all seater concert.

That's my point.

It's been a while since i've written a post in this forum, even though i always follow you, but this topic caught my attention.
Is the band putting passion in their live show? Yes, maybe. I think that i am nobody to judge something that i don't know.
But here's a thing:
We can talk about passion for performing songs as much as we can talk about . About the second case, the undeniable fact is it seems that besides new songs from OML (i dislike the album, but i don't have a problem with them being performed, in the end they have to promote it), and besides wastelands, there are ONLY singles in their setlist. And from these singles, EIGHT songs come from HT/M era, despite Chester always complains in interviews that fans need to get over HT e M. Eight songs from HT/M era, versus one song of THP, two an half songs from LT, two songs from ATS. That is what i think is incoherent.
So my main problem with these shows, is not that they are not playing all the energetic stuff like they used to. My main problem is the lack of passion i THINK they have, in choosing songs for the set. I am not saying that the band should have dropped ITE, BID, WID etc, but...does the set really need Somewhere I Belong or Breaking The Habit AGAIN (and i love the last one)? Does the set really need the piano version of Crawling? In the occasion of anniversary of MTM, could the band do a better choice than performing ANOTHER radio single (even if beautifully reworked) like LOATR instead of bringing back a deeper cut from the album?
Yes, i am a APFMH fanboy (citing Astat). but i am also a WTCFM fanboy, an In Pieces fanboy, a Roads Untraveled fanboy, The Little Things Give You Away fanboy, a Rebellion fanboy.
As a Linkin Park fan that love that loves deeper cuts a lot more than the 70% of their biggest hits, as a linkin park fan that had seen them live various times, i feel no appeal for this kind of a show right now, as i don't see any passion, or dedication, or call whatever you want, for their most dedicated fans (and i am not talking about who only idolize HT and/or Meteora).

It's been a while since i've written a post in this forum, even though i always follow you, but this topic caught my attention.

Is the band putting passion in their live show? Yes, maybe. I think that i am nobody to judge something that i don't know.

But here's a thing:

We can talk about passion for performing songs as much as we can talk about . About the second case, the undeniable fact is it seems that besides new songs from OML (i dislike the album, but i don't have a problem with them being performed, in the end they have to promote it), and besides wastelands, there are ONLY singles in their setlist. And from these singles, EIGHT songs come from HT/M era, despite Chester always complains in interviews that fans need to get over HT e M. Eight songs from HT/M era, versus one song of THP, two an half songs from LT, two songs from ATS. That is what i think is incoherent.

So my main problem with these shows, is not that they are not playing all the energetic stuff like they used to. My main problem is the lack of passion i THINK they have, in choosing songs for the set. I am not saying that the band should have dropped ITE, BID, WID etc, but...does the set really need Somewhere I Belong or Breaking The Habit AGAIN (and i love the last one)? Does the set really need the piano version of Crawling? In the occasion of anniversary of MTM, could the band do a better choice than performing ANOTHER radio single (even if beautifully reworked) like LOATR instead of bringing back a deeper cut from the album?

Yes, i am a APFMH fanboy (citing Astat). but i am also a WTCFM fanboy, an In Pieces fanboy, a Roads Untraveled fanboy, The Little Things Give You Away fanboy, a Rebellion fanboy.

As a Linkin Park fan that love that loves deeper cuts a lot more than the 70% of their biggest hits, as a linkin park fan that had seen them live various times, i feel no appeal for this kind of a show right now, as i don't see any passion, or dedication, or call whatever you want, for their most dedicated fans (and i am not talking about who only idolize HT and/or Meteora).

Good point, indeed.

It's just that a Linkin Park show is not a Linkin Park show anymore.

You say that but you fail to explain why you feel that way. Or at least I am missing it. If you state something like that, you can never expect a serious discussion as long as you don't back up your statements with reasons and/or explanations. It is totally fine to dislike something, but I think a huge amount of "hate" for "haters" comes from the fact, that everyone fails to reason about their statements.

Edited by graveguard

You say that but you fail to explain why you feel that way. Or at least I am missing it. If you state something like that, you can never expect a serious discussion as long as you don't back up your statements with reasons and/or explanations. It is totally fine to dislike something, but I think a huge amount of "hate" for "haters" comes from the fact, that everyone fails to reason about their statements.

It's not that hard to see. Maybe I fail to explain it, in that case I'm sorry. To make it simple:

Compare the movement on stage to the movement 10 years ago. Compare the movement in the crowd to the movement ten years ago. Same as energy, performance, etc.

At this point, somebody is standing on stage with sunglasses and a mic stand, singing pop songs. Yes I know about chesters back,but still. Ten years ago, there was someone standing on stage, giving everything he had, every night. Now we have a guitarist who rather plays samples and keyboards and a rapper that rather sings like every mainstream pop singer. It is a shame.

It's not that hard to see. Maybe I fail to explain it, in that case I'm sorry. To make it simple:

Compare the movement on stage to the movement 10 years ago. Compare the movement in the crowd to the movement ten years ago. Same as energy, performance, etc.

At this point, somebody is standing on stage with sunglasses and a mic stand, singing pop songs. Yes I know about chesters back,but still. Ten years ago, there was someone standing on stage, giving everything he had, every night. Now we have a guitarist who rather plays samples and keyboards and a rapper that rather sings like every mainstream pop singer. It is a shame.

To be fair, Brad has been playing samples and keyboard on some songs since ATS was released, and possibly before that as well. I'm sure Astat or someone will point that out if I'm wrong.

Also, Mike was never just "a rapper" in the first place and, just from observing as a fan, he's seemed determined to prove that for years now that he's not just the rapper in a rock band.

Ten years ago, Chester and Mike were 30 and not 40. Those 10 years make a difference. We know that Chester won't be the guy running around on stage like he's still in his 20's until the end of his career. That's just not him. Does it mean he's lost his passion for performing? No.

Who are you to say what defines a Linkin Park show? Their live dynamic has changed as much as their sound has. 10 years ago is a completely different story. They've gone through injuries, tragedies, and idealistic changes through their lives and they have every right to play whatever the hell they want, whenever they want. And just because they aren't moving around onstage does NOT mean they are not giving it their all. That is just downright insane to even say.

If how Linkin Park runs their show now is not what you like, that's fine, but to criticize it as you are is just ignorant. A live show shouldn't have to just be about energy and rocking it, especially today. It's about living an experience, and every experience has its intense moments and calm ones. And may Brad be damned if he doesn't play guitar on a song, because of course he can only fit a single role ever as a guitarist. And Mike be damned if he doesn't rap.

By this logic, may everyone who wants to go out of their comfort zone and try something different be damned.

And for the love of god, drop the "mainstream pop" bullshit. If you honestly think stuff like 'Invisible' and 'Sorry For Now' and even 'Heavy' are in the same league as 'Anaconda' or 'Closer' or whatever you think mainstream pop sounds like, you're making a fool of yourself and clearly don't care enough to look into the music beyond what you think. If it makes you happy, keep living with the early-2000s LP. If not, don't complain.

Who are you to say what defines a Linkin Park show? Their live dynamic has changed as much as their sound has. 10 years ago is a completely different story. They've gone through injuries, tragedies, and idealistic changes through their lives and they have every right to play whatever the hell they want, whenever they want. And just because they aren't moving around onstage does NOT mean they are not giving it their all. That is just downright insane to even say.

If how Linkin Park runs their show now is not what you like, that's fine, but to criticize it as you are is just ignorant. A live show shouldn't have to just be about energy and rocking it, especially today. It's about living an experience, and every experience has its intense moments and calm ones. And may Brad be damned if he doesn't play guitar on a song, because of course he can only fit a single role ever as a guitarist. And Mike be damned if he doesn't rap.

By this logic, may everyone who wants to go out of their comfort zone and try something different be damned.

And for the love of god, drop the "mainstream pop" bullshit. If you honestly think stuff like 'Invisible' and 'Sorry For Now' and even 'Heavy' are in the same league as 'Anaconda' or 'Closer' or whatever you think mainstream pop sounds like, you're making a fool of yourself and clearly don't care enough to look into the music beyond what you think. If it makes you happy, keep living with the early-2000s LP. If not, don't complain.

Well damn!

I feel like this comment sums up what Chester has been feeling lately but not articulating correctly in the press. I agree with everything you just said.