2015 and The Hunting Party Era

hahninator

I ask this question for the millionth time and I still wait for an answer: what's the benefit of a native app?

I can browse LPLive with my phone without an actual app or a mobile version of the website.

It's so simple

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn’t find the official THP discussion (if there even is one), and what I wanted to say is too long for the chat lol:

I hear this (THP was boring, etc.) from diehard, casual, and non-fans alike and i just don’t understand it. I thought THP was near perfect (I actually only wished they included turntables), but beyond that the album was what everyone claimed they wanted—a return to form with another 10 years of technical, musical, and lyrical prowess to elevate the sound. To me it’s some of Mike’s best rapping, some of Chester’s best screaming, and easily Brad’s best guitar playing, Rob’s besr drumming, and Dave's best bass playing. The lyrical content was a powerful blend of personal and political, and spoke to me on virtually every track. The only “disappointment” was Drawbar because of my really high expectations, and get where ppl would find that “boring”

36 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

I couldn’t find the official THP discussion (if there even is one), and what I wanted to say is too long for the chat lol:

I hear this (THP was boring, etc.) from diehard, casual, and non-fans alike and i just don’t understand it. I thought THP was near perfect (I actually only wished they included turntables), but beyond that the album was what everyone claimed they wanted—a return to form with another 10 years of technical, musical, and lyrical prowess to elevate the sound. To me it’s some of Mike’s best rapping, some of Chester’s best screaming, and easily Brad’s best guitar playing, Rob’s besr drumming, and Dave's best bass playing. The lyrical content was a powerful blend of personal and political, and spoke to me on virtually every track. The only “disappointment” was Drawbar because of my really high expectations, and get where ppl would find that “boring”

We could discuss hours about this and it’d be great, but just to make short points: 

1) Rob, Brad, Dave: 100% agree with you, but probably they were not so confident in playing those songs live. 
2) Chester: he sounds SO forced on stuff like War and KTTK, unnatural. 
3) Mike’s rapping: I like his rapping in general but always hated AFN lol. 
4) lyrically it’s by far my least fav record by the band: KTTK, AFN, War ALITS and GATS are super generic, FM is amazing but the classic farewell song lyrically, Rebellion and Mtg have very nice imagery, but to me OML is on a total other level in terms of depth lyrically, or even ATS and MTM. 
in general it’s a good record but globally my Least fav alongside with MTM

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

37 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

what everyone claimed they wanted

I never wanted THP.

I am not a huge fan of digging up such an old thread but one thing I want to say is that I think people often forget how diverse the LP fanbase is. There are a lot of people who come from a rock background or LP was their entry into the rock scene, but there are also a lot of people who are not into rock at all and for them LP is probably the most guitar centric music they listen to. I often times feel like the first type is much more prominent on forums like LPLive and therefore the impression of what people want is completely skewed.

8 minutes ago, Coizu said:

I never wanted THP.

I am not a huge fan of digging up such an old thread but one thing I want to say is that I think people often forget how diverse the LP fanbase is. There are a lot of people who come from a rock background or LP was their entry into the rock scene, but there are also a lot of people who are not into rock at all and for them LP is probably the most guitar centric music they listen to. I often times feel like the first type is much more prominent on forums like LPLive and therefore the impression of what people want is completely skewed.

The weird thing is that when I got into LP I was in the 1st cathegory, but now I don’t care about genre as long as the music is good. 15 years ago I would have freaked out for THP and I was convinced that I HAD to like the Foos and Muse because i liked LP. Now, 15 years later, I love OML and Amends at the same time and I’d rather listen to  blackbear than the last 3 Foo Fighters record, i love both Lorde and Tool if that makes sense. 
If LP/Mike release a new record I’m not like “I hope it’s heavy”, but more like “I hope it’s good”. I love heavy LP but I like SFN and Halfway Rigjr more than half of THP. 

I only dug it up cuz I thought it would be poor form to create a new thread about a topic that already had a thread about it. I definitely respect where you’re both coming from though, and discussing it is a super fun distraction for me. Either way I understand how much or how little you wanna talk about it.

I agree that Rob, Brad, & Dave (particularly Brad) seemed to be resistant to learn half the songs live, which was def a disappointment to me too.

I can also see where Chester’s vocals can come off as “forced,” but the songs you mentioned were some of the only opportunities for him to let loose on that particular playing field in a long time, which was honestly just exciting for me. I think Chester was the one who even wrote the bulk of War but I could be wrong.

I can also see where Mike’s raps may come off as “generic” too, but it legitimately excited me to hear him spit some flavor you might hear on a Black Hippy mixtape over guitar-driven rock.

I think the lyrics piece is where we just simply disagree, which is fine. I was on board for the lines that were just braggadocios and fun on KTTK, and then was legitimately spoken to when it came to both the sociopolitical commentary of GATS, Rebellion, Wastelands etc., and the personal lyrics of FM, etc.

Also the collabs were extremely exciting for me as well. The only one I was underwhelmed by was Tom.

Finally I’m well aware of the taste diversity of the fanbase, but the one consistent criticism you would see since Meteora was a call for what THP ultimately was. That’s not to say even the majority of all groups from casual listeners to diehard fans hadn’t moved on from that, it just never went away, and that’s where I saw the irony

2 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

I only dug it up cuz I thought it would be poor form to create a new thread about a topic that already had a thread about it. I definitely respect where you’re both coming from though, and discussing it is a super fun distraction for me. Either way I understand how much or how little you wanna talk about it.

I agree that Rob, Brad, & Dave (particularly Brad) seemed to be resistant to learn half the songs live, which was def a disappointment to me too.

I can also see where Chester’s vocals can come off as “forced,” but the songs you mentioned were some of the only opportunities for him to let loose on that particular playing field in a long time, which was honestly just exciting for me. I think Chester was the one who even wrote the bulk of War but I could be wrong.

I can also see where Mike’s raps may come off as “generic” too, but it legitimately excited me to hear him spit some flavor you might hear on a Black Hippy mixtape over guitar-driven rock.

I think the lyrics piece is where we just simply disagree, which is fine. I was on board for the lines that were just braggadocios and fun on KTTK, and then was legitimately spoken to when it came to both the sociopolitical commentary of GATS, Rebellion, Wastelands etc., and the personal lyrics of FM, etc.

Also the collabs were extremely exciting for me as well. The only one I was underwhelmed by was Tom.

Finally I’m well aware of the taste diversity of the fanbase, but the one consistent criticism you would see since Meteora was a call for what THP ultimately was. That’s not to say even the majority of all groups from casual listeners to diehard fans hadn’t moved on from that, it just never went away, and that’s where I saw the irony

About the lyrics, I love FM even imagery in the lyrics even tho the topic is something we got in 100000 other songs. About the collabs, I liked some of them but just didn’t get Page Hamilton when Mike could have easily done that part on his own with no difference. Rakim and Daron were cool. 

9 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

About the lyrics, I love FM even imagery in the lyrics even tho the topic is something we got in 100000 other songs. About the collabs, I liked some of them but just didn’t get Page Hamilton when Mike could have easily done that part on his own with no difference. Rakim and Daron were cool. 

💯 💯 I thought Page’s voice was similar to Mike’s too lol AFN only makes total sense if you see it as LP’s nod to the New York Alt Metal scene of the 90s. Just like Tom, Rakim, & Daron, it sort of speaks to a “bucket list” of inspirations/collaborations they’ve probably always wanted to do, and it just like everything else in their catalogue, it’s def not for everyone which is okay

Edited by OKCrew

5 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

💯 💯 I thought Page’s voice was similar to Mike’s too lol AFN only makes total sense if you see it as LP’s nod to the New York Alt Metal scene of the 90s. Just like Tom, Rakim, & Daron, it sort of speaks to a “bucket list” of inspirations/collaborations they’ve probably always wanted to do, and it just like everything else in their catalogue, it’s def not for everyone which is okay

No i get the fact that THP is basically a tribute in sound to those band, it’s clear and I’m super fine with that, just the result is not very spontaneous IMO. But as someone already said, it’s my least fav LP record, meaning that it’s still strong For me  (like a 7.5/10 or somewhere around there, with songs i really love like FM, Rebellion, Wastelands, and songs that I don’t like that much) 😊

2 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

No i get the fact that THP is basically a tribute in sound to those band, it’s clear and I’m super fine with that, just the result is not very spontaneous IMO. But as someone already said, it’s my least fav LP record, meaning that it’s still strong For me  (like a 7.5/10 or somewhere around there, with songs i really love like FM, Rebellion, Wastelands, and songs that I don’t like that much) 😊

^ 💯 ^

On 4/21/2016 at 12:42 PM, JZ-AmendsStripped29 said:

Bring Geki back and bring me back to the shoutbox it was so unfair that I got banned there.

lmao what did you do to get banned? Your shouts were hilarious. I never felt offended by anything you posted. 

As for the original topic, I was so hyped for THP since I mostly listen to hard rock and metal. I did notice at the time, the excitement wasn’t there for a lot of people. I think LP has a large amount of fans that aren’t really into heavy music and GATS probably wasn’t doing it for them. At least that’s what I observed with LP fans I know personally. I don’t think the marketing was in top form in that era, in terms of drawing in the casual listener. No huge radio hit or popular music video. I think they tried with Final Masquerade but for whatever reason, it didn’t land. Even KROQ never really played it. That was around the time they stopped heavily rotating new LP from what I noticed. 

I think everybody did great on that album - especially Rob had his time to shine, he's just an excellent drummer.
Brad did some sick soli, Chester brought back some amazing screaming, Mike showed off his singing ability once again on ALITS, and did major songwriting on the whole album.
Well and then there's the bassist and we don't need to talk about Joe on THP I guess, he didn't even direct any music video besides UIG.
I know people dislike the songs for their lyrics and I couldn't care less, 'cause musically it's still a wholesome album and I feel rather bad for people, that can't listen to it like that.

13 hours ago, Hybrid1988 said:

lmao what did you do to get banned? Your shouts were hilarious. I never felt offended by anything you posted. 

As for the original topic, I was so hyped for THP since I mostly listen to hard rock and metal. I did notice at the time, the excitement wasn’t there for a lot of people. I think LP has a large amount of fans that aren’t really into heavy music and GATS probably wasn’t doing it for them. At least that’s what I observed with LP fans I know personally. I don’t think the marketing was in top form in that era, in terms of drawing in the casual listener. No huge radio hit or popular music video. I think they tried with Final Masquerade but for whatever reason, it didn’t land. Even KROQ never really played it. That was around the time they stopped heavily rotating new LP from what I noticed. 

💯 yeah in another thread someone reminded us Mike’s weird out-of-character messaging around the promo time which most definitely rubbed some folks the wrong way. One thing I also always thought was a mistake was the Radio Edit of GATS excluding Rakim. I love the song in it’s entirety, but 6 minutes is obv too long for radio, and if you were to cut anything for KROQ, I would have started with the extended intro/outro, not one of the greatest rap verses in rock history.

4 hours ago, LPsMart said:

I think everybody did great on that album - especially Rob had his time to shine, he's just an excellent drummer.
Brad did some sick soli, Chester brought back some amazing screaming, Mike showed off his singing ability once again on ALITS, and did major songwriting on the whole album.
Well and then there's the bassist and we don't need to talk about Joe on THP I guess, he didn't even direct any music video besides UIG.
I know people dislike the songs for their lyrics and I couldn't care less, 'cause musically it's still a wholesome album and I feel rather bad for people, that can't listen to it like that.

💯💯 i think Joe did some very minimal drum machine samples like at the end of KTTK and end of UIG, and i think the Summoning, but yeah his minimal presence was the one thing i coulda used more of, but was also used to it at that point

3 hours ago, OKCrew said:

if you were to cut anything for KROQ, I would have started with the extended intro/outro, not one of the greatest rap verses in rock history.

That verse is an attention grabbing part of the song simply for the fact that it's Rakim on a Linkin Park song. It's a great song already, but that verse makes it stand out even more. I never understood cutting that verse.

4 hours ago, OKCrew said:

💯💯 i think Joe did some very minimal drum machine samples like at the end of KTTK and end of UIG, and i think the Summoning, but yeah his minimal presence was the one thing i coulda used more of, but was also used to it at that point

nope I'm 100 percent positive that that was Mike, I think I read it somewhere, not sure about The Summoning though - that should have been Joe please, if not it would be disappointing to have only 5 members on that album

4 minutes ago, LPsMart said:

nope I'm 100 percent positive that that was Mike, I think I read it somewhere, not sure about The Summoning though - that should have been Joe please, if not it would be disappointing to have only 5 members on that album

Joe on THP is basically the equivalent of Dave on OML (excluding TTM). 

I think that we don't really know what Joe or Phoenix or whoever did on which album. I'm almost sure that Joe's contribution to THP was still big. When they were making OML, I believe that Mike said that him and Joe were going through tons of sounds to incorporate them into the songs. No scratching doesn't mean that Joe was not involved. The roles of each band member has been changing with each album-making process. I think that Joe is responsible for creating sounds for songs, finding interesting samples to put in the tracks, maybe coming up with the arrangement stuff, etc. His role is not limited to scratching or doing "DJ stuff". It's similar to Brad's situation. I remember when ATS was released, people said that "Brad is doing nothing on this album, THERE IS NO GUITAR". The truth is that Brad is not supposed to play guitar only but he helps with production and do a lot of things that we are not even aware of. It's always funny for me when people say that Session is Joe's song, just because it's the only instrumental track on the album and includes a lot of scratching. For me it's obvioust that it's a typical Mike's Meteora-era work for which Joe added his scratching. Not everything is as obvious as people think and each member is not attached to his instrument only - they contributed to all of the albums in a variety of ways. 

18 hours ago, blackout said:

I think that we don't really know what Joe or Phoenix or whoever did on which album. I'm almost sure that Joe's contribution to THP was still big. When they were making OML, I believe that Mike said that him and Joe were going through tons of sounds to incorporate them into the songs. No scratching doesn't mean that Joe was not involved. The roles of each band member has been changing with each album-making process. I think that Joe is responsible for creating sounds for songs, finding interesting samples to put in the tracks, maybe coming up with the arrangement stuff, etc. His role is not limited to scratching or doing "DJ stuff". It's similar to Brad's situation. I remember when ATS was released, people said that "Brad is doing nothing on this album, THERE IS NO GUITAR". The truth is that Brad is not supposed to play guitar only but he helps with production and do a lot of things that we are not even aware of. It's always funny for me when people say that Session is Joe's song, just because it's the only instrumental track on the album and includes a lot of scratching. For me it's obvioust that it's a typical Mike's Meteora-era work for which Joe added his scratching. Not everything is as obvious as people think and each member is not attached to his instrument only - they contributed to all of the albums in a variety of ways. 

yeah of course he was involved in writing and stuff but most likely didn't perform, that's what's disappointing

Brad not playing guitar is a whole different story - he is super involved in the process (as you can see e.g. in "the meeting of ATS" or "Brad says hello to mikeshinoda(dot)com", which is hilarious btw) - and you know he wrote Three Band Terror on his own, so there's a whole song he performed on his own on LT - even though the music itself on UIB was mike and brad for sure, he sang.

Lol CFTI and Session are super Mike-y, idk how ppl would think it's JH. With You for example has tons of scratching and isn't a JH song at all.

Edited by LPsMart

1 hour ago, LPsMart said:

yeah of course he was involved in writing and stuff but most likely didn't perform, that's what's dissapointing

Brad not playing guitar is a whole different story - he is super involved in the process (as you can see e.g. in "the meeting of ATS" or "Brad says hello to mikeshinoda(dot)com", which is hilarious btw) - and you know he wrote Three Band Terror on his own, so there's a whole song he performed on his own on LT - even though the music itself on UIB was mike and brad for sure, he sang.

Lol CFTI and Session are super Mike-y, idk how ppl would think it's JH. With You for example has tons of scratching and isn't a JH song at all.

I appreciate you unpacking everything there cuz there was a lot and I didn’t know where to start lol I think we’re all on the same page. We know instrumentals aren’t all Joe. We know Brad loves to produce (at some points even more than guitar). We know different contributions can look and sound different than what a bandmate’s conventional role is. But all of that doesn’t mean that it’s wrong to have wanted more Joe on THP, and that his presence wasn’t extremely limited in terms of actual sounds made on the album lol

Edited by OKCrew

54 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

I appreciate you unpacking everything there cuz there was a lot and I didn’t know where to start lol I think we’re all on the same page. We know instrumentals aren’t all Joe. We know Brad loves to produce (at some points even more than guitar). We know different contributions can look and sound different than what a bandmate’s conventional role is. But all of that doesn’t mean that it’s wrong to have wanted more Joe on THP, and that his presence wasn’t extremely limited in terms of actual sounds made on the album lol

I want Joe sing a solo song on LP8