The Instrumental Official Music Video

lpliveusername

Back in 2005, Mike Shinoda produced a track for Lupe Fiasco's debut studio album, Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor, which came out on September 19, 2006.

A music video for the track was created by Impakt Studio, the same studio responsible for the videos of other Lupe Fiasco's songs like "Failure", "Kick, Push", and "The Emperor's Soundtrack".

The video remained unreleased until October 31, 2014, when the director, Christopher Adams, uploaded the song to YouTube. This seems to have passed unnoticed among Linkin Park fans.

Watch it below:

Here's the director's statement about the video:

Back in 2006 Impakt studio was tasked with producing several projects for 1st & 15th artist Lupe Fiasco which included music videos for Kick Push, He say She say, Emperors Soundtrack, as well as support for album cover shoots, EPK’s and commercials. It was a great relationship for us. 1st & 15th C.E.O. Chilly really gave us total creative control over the projects and Lupe really liked what we were doing. I remember Lupe looking around our studio office and seeing anime dvd’s, action figures, skateboards, posters of Che Guevara and smiling saying “I know i’m in the right place”. So we did Kick Push and I remember Lupe was at the Grammy’s while we were finishing it up and we sent him a private link to a snippet of the video hosted on our server.

When all of a sudden our phone started blowing up it was Atlantic records, the snippet had leaked on the internet. A hacker who was a Lupe fan got into our server and posted the snippet online and also locked us out of our server! It was chaos we had to call the host company to shut down our site! Soon after, Kick Push was released. It was doing very well so Lupe put a poll on his myspace page, which at the time he would personally manage and respond to his fans to the tune of about 2 hours a day, the poll was for the fans to decide what video he would do next and overwhelmingly it was for the song American Terrorist, a volatile song to say the least but one of my favorites. So we came up with a Crazy Idea for the video which im not going to tell because id like to use the concept one day, and sent it to Atlantic records…they were not happy with it. It was an idea that would definitely be controversial and Lupe loved it.

They said they would think about it and suggested we do a video for “The Instrumental” instead which I think they thought was a “safe” song. Boy were they wrong. There was a lot going on in the world and “The Instrumental” was a perfect soundtrack for what was going on. There was the Abu ghraib scandal, Saddam Hussein was convicted of crimes against humanity, then President Bush signs a law renewing the Patriot Act, including a signing statement stating that he does not consider himself bound by its requirement to tell Congress how the law is being used, the fiasco of Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, Google bought Youtube to name a few.

So we decided to make “The Instrumental” a visual nightmare of the media’s ever growing grasp over its consumers, a message that I feel Atlantic wasn’t ready for. So the video was shelved never to see light of day. Until today.

footnote the final video was going to end with a shot of some kids opening Christmas presents and one of the presents is the glowing cube seen in the video. That part was never filmed.

Source: Fake Shore Drive

I actually remember seeing this when it was posted...figured it was known about but nobody cared because prior to Mike starting to tease us about Welcome, there were approximately 6 people left in the Linkin Park community who cared about anything Fort Minor-related.

This week I just read the instrumental "did you know". I wish I would have looked into this. The Instrumental is a highlight song off of Food & Liquor, which is considered by many to be Lupe Fiasco's best album.

Did Mike reuse part of this beat for Carry Me Away by Cypress Hill?

Music video was absolutely not worth the wait though

This week I just read the instrumental "did you know". I wish I would have looked into this. The Instrumental is a highlight song off of Food & Liquor, which is considered by many to be Lupe Fiasco's best album.

Did Mike reuse part of this beat for Carry Me Away by Cypress Hill?

Music video was absolutely not worth the wait though

I agree that it's Lupe's best album. I have the leaked demos for it too, before it officially came out. He got really mad that it leaked. Check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/263b3x/lupe_fiascos_leaked_food_and_liquor_the_classic/

I don't know if Mike reused it in Carry Me Away, but that's an awesome song too.

The music video was cool, the idea was good, but it wasn't executed well. It needs more scenes and variety, and the proposed ending would have been good.

I agree that it's Lupe's best album. I have the leaked demos for it too, before it officially came out. He got really mad that it leaked. Check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/263b3x/lupe_fiascos_leaked_food_and_liquor_the_classic/

I remember The Instrumental used to be called Never Lies, but was it different from the final album version?

I don't know if Mike reused it in Carry Me Away, but that's an awesome song too.

The music video was cool, the idea was good, but it wasn't executed well. It needs more scenes and variety, and the proposed ending would have been good.

That's a cool post, I saw it on hiphopheads when it was posted..but I missed the song Make Sure. Thanks for that!

Just in awe that Lupe was not only able to have so much material ready to go at a moments notice, but so much great material. Maybe it's because I heard the retail version first, but I think the tracks he took out were not as strong as the ones he added in. That said, the whole catalog is an instant classic in hop hop. I'm so happy he got back on track with Tetsuo and Youth, and it seems that DROGAS is coming very soon too

I remember The Instrumental used to be called Never Lies, but was it different from the final album version?

The only difference with the leaked version is that the intro of "never lies" is shorter and the dj scratch cut off abruptly and go straight to the synth

Was there some kind of download for the leak, or youtube links only?

BTW, I remember seeing this video earlier too. :)