2014.11.06 - Köln, Germany

hahninator

Linkin Park's third show of their European Tour for The Hunting Party takes them back to Köln, Germany on November 6th. This is a city that LP has visited since all the way back in 2001, making this their sixth show in the city and third at this venue! This is a bit of a longer history than normal for a city on tour, but it's an interesting one as Köln actually has some cool facts about it in the Linkin Park world. Most preshow posts don't hit this length, but you might learn something about the city below.

On March 11, 2001, the band stopped by the Palladium on the Deftones' 'Back To School' Tour across Europe with Taproot. There's a rare proshot video of With You from the show...if you have it, let us know! Later in the year, Linkin Park came back and headlined the same venue on their European Headlining Tour. Chester performed Karma Killer with Cyclefly and Control with Puddle Of Mudd, but unfortunately no recordings exist as far as we know.

Moving on to the interesting stuff.... almost seven years later, LP returned to play Kölnarena in 2008 and actually debuted a new setlist at that show (Setlist S at the time), which contained the live debut of In Between! It was the very first time that the long intro to No More Sorrow had been played in the middle of the set and fan favorite Points Of Authority and the set closer combo A Place For My Head -> One Step Closer were all included. However, it was noticeably one of the first setlists to omit Papercut, although the other two sets on the tour had it included. While Papercut was in just one of these three setlists to start the tour, it was quickly added to a second one before this show.

It was this tour in 2008 that began Linkin Park's massive touring in Germany, which continues to this day as this tour has NINE shows in the country. 2008 had seven shows in the country of Germany, which was the most of any country outside of the United States. That's actually more than England, which the band used to tour quite a bit until 2012; this tour has just three UK shows compared to Germany's nine.

This show is at LANXESS arena in Köln (renamed from Kölnarena) and Linkin Park has played there several times before the show on November 6th. Along with the 2008 show, they headlined this venue in October 2010 for the sixth show of the A Thousand Suns European Tour. This is the show that LP changed the setlist at the time up by swapping Papercut and The Messenger for Lying From You and Leave Out All The Rest, which were both unrehearsed at the time. Interestingly, Mike admitted (at the London Summit later in the tour) that the change was due to feedback he read on LPLive from the setlists on that tour. Cool! But hey, don't get any ideas...... ha! Oh yeah, our picture with him and the red LPLive shirt came from that show too! LPLive staff member Jonas shot a GREAT video of Lying From You at that show and he'd probably kill me if we didn't include it in the post...so here we go:

Finally, in between (see what I did there?) Rock am Ring and Rock im Park performances in 2012, the band stopped by the venue to play Burn It Down for TV total Autoball EM in a show that we think MIGHT have been lipsynched due to it being a very random one song TV performance. Chester's vocal track from the Rio+Social event that May is almost exactly the same as the one in Köln. A subliminal tweet by a certain crew member (we are refraining from naming them) after the fact pretty much confirmed it, but feel free to speculate away.

Two shows have been completed so far on this European Tour. The band played Zürich (Set B) on the 3rd and then Stuttgart (Set A) on the 4th. In Stuttgart, Crawling was dropped for an unknown reason, Mike skipped the With You rap on the Until It's Gone intro (messing Joe up too) and Rob skipped the Bleed It Out intro. Hmm. It seems that these two setlists will rotate all tour between B and A, so it should be pretty easy to determine which one you're getting if you're going to a show.

After this show in Köln, the 12th LPU Summit in Amsterdam takes place the very next day on the 7th! We expect to see many of you there! After Amsterdam, the band dives right back in for four German shows in a row by hitting Oberhausen, Hamburg, Leipzig, and München. See you guys on the road! Who will be at the show in Köln? The rest of the 2014 tour dates can be found here.

Great preshow post, I was at the show from 2008 and 2010. The 2008 show was also my first LP concert. Great crowd, great setlist.

You made one mistake, the kölnarena and the lanxess arena are the same venue. The venue was just renamed from Kölnarena to Lanxess arena. So this means, lp is going to play their third time there, tonight.^^

Edited by SixOldShoes

Great preshow post, I was at the show from 2008 and 2010. The 2008 show was also my first LP concert. Great crowd, great setlist.

You made one mistake, the kölnarena and the lanxess arena are the same venue. The venue was just renamed from Kölnarena to Lanxess arena. So this means, lp is going to play their third time there, tonight.^^

Cool! That 2008 show is a DSP I listen to frequently. Great German shows on that tour.

Oh I had no idea... I should have researched that! I will fix it. Thanks!

tomorrow linkin park will be performing @ cologne. the last time i saw them was 2008. i recorded the whole show and it was awesome!!!

btw: THX for featuring my "In Between" Video :D

greets

pat a.k.a. sventhen :lol:

Wow, small world. :) enjoy the show!

Cool! That 2008 show is a DSP I listen to frequently. Great German shows on that tour.

Oh yes. Loved the different intros on Breaking the Habit on that Tour. 2008 was definitely the best LP Live year. Reading my eyes in munich, Pushing me away album version in düsseldorf. A place for my head in the Winter tour. The last real projekt revoulution in the US with some surprises like Breaking the Habit accoustic in Toronto.

I really miss them rotating Setlists.

One of the reasons I got tired of seeing them live. This tour I had to skip, due to ticket prices and time that I not have.

I wish all others fun in cologne^^

Bleed it Out was stopped shortly after the beginning of the first verse, because someone from the audience was semiconscious or something like that and was taking out by the security. After this the band restart with the first chorus.

All in all a good solid show, but I had definitely the feeling of listening to a DSP from the CD or something, playing the setlist very strait forward with some single words in between some songs. Oh and the "platform" for Mike's Keyboard etc. has a tiny special red LED, so the whole thing looks like a little airstrip for model aircraft. ^_^

what a great show!!!

Chester has been in such a good mood and.. shape! incredible!

Also brad seemed to be more enthusiastic than ever before :) good to see that the guys are still rocking the shows like in 2007...even better.

Currently uploading my videos :P
a bummer that my software isn't working so I have to use the original, shitty audio... but the videos are good.
videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Linkinparksoldier

Pictures are here fyi:

https://www.facebook.com/ABplusPhoto

Some thoughts after two shows:

Way better than Stuttgart imo. Maybe that's because I had a perfect seat in Cologne and was standing pretty far in the back in Stuttgart.

After seeing both sets I prefer set B. With you, DOYS/LFY (which sounded great), SIB are songs I don't want to miss but I don't need POA.

After seeing a lot of videos of Rebellion I wasn't sure how it sounded live. I really loved it yesterday.

I hate that everybody seems to love BID and ND....they'll never drop these songs :( Even shortened they are too long for me ;)

The Band was in a great mood. Looking forward to my third show in Frankfurt.