Unlisted Grey Daze Shows / Notes

LESTAT

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome find! Thank you very much.
What makes it both cooler and confusing at the same time is that it looks like it says "No Sun Today", "Real Records" and "1996" at the bottom right corner of the picture.
If I'm seeing it right, it confirms that the band already had this name for their second album that was going to be released through the Real Records at the time and kept it once they later redid the album in Conservatory,

With that being said, I doubt they'd use any of the promos like this one in 1998, since Real Records was long gone by that time. But who knows?

Someone told me the show was in 1994, but it doesn't seem right since Chester had no child back then (check the show page). I once asked Jonathan and he said he didn't play on this show, because it was in 1997. Now someone claims it was in 1998, but the picture says 1996. lol

What also confuses me is that Castles N' Coasters show reportedly had a very very small attendance (20 to 50 people), but it is the single most mentioned Grey Daze show in the entire Internet. I saw like 8 people talking about it outside of LP community.

Castles N' Coasters is an amusement park, not a concert venue.

A few people I've talked with specifically said that the band played there once, because, according to them, it was a very odd place to even held a concert in the first place.

With that being said, I even contacted Castles N' Coasters and Jimmy Eat World before to ask about the show :lol:

So I had a quick conversation with Mace. He told me that the show they opened for Michael Schenker Group was in Mesa Amphitheater and it was the Earth day. Can't find any Michael Schenker Group shows that fit. Also, contrary to what Sean told me, Mace said there were no gigs outside Arizona, except for what it seems like the very last Grey Daze show ever that they played in Coconut Teaszer in LA. According to him, it was a label showcase and the label said "No", but this showcase was the reason Chester was later asked to audition for Hybrid Theory.

I was unsure if we should add the show to the guide, because there was a possibility that Mace was actually talking about the Whisky A Go Go show (see Mace being wrong about the venue for Michael Schenker show), but today I had a quick conversation with Kerry Rose and asked him if Mace is correct and if the band played both Coconut Teaszer AND Whiskey A Go Go, and he said:

"We played both. There were some label guys at the Teaszer show that our attorney invited. The Whiskey show was a better show. None of the label guys bit, although the feedback on Chester was very positive"

So the show should be added as (probably after the Whiskey show on the list):

xxxx.xx.xx West Hollywood, CA, Coconut Teaszer

I'm currently trying to figure the dates as well. It probably happened in 1998, but I won't put it in the date, until I'll know for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

http://lplive.net/shows/db/greydaze/19960308

- chairmanhahn: what was the biggest show/venue
Grey Daze ever played?
- sean: Desert Sky Pavillion, it holds about
19,000 people
- sean: biggest show that we drew to was
Superbowl with Dallas and Pittsburg, we played with No Doubt , Sevewn Mary
three
, Refreshments, Bush
- sean: we played in front of about 7500 people

Source

• 2 weeks later...

Chester and Jason of Sean Dowdell & His Friends on the cover of November 20th, 1992 issue of Greenway High Shool's "Demon Dispatch" newspaper.

Some conclusions:

1) It looks like the same performance as the one on the photo from a few posts above. The same position and outfit, the same photographer and the headline is also talking about the same thing as that photo's description from Greenway High School's yearbook: the school's flex schedule days. So the date of this performance is likely 1992.11.xx. That was the 1993 yearbook, hence the current date of the show in the guide, but it actually covers the period from Autumn 1992 - Spring 1993, so it makes sense.

2) It was just Chester and Jason without the rest of the band.

SDAHF2.jpg

Arizona Republic newspaper clippings:

New old Grey Daze article + old Electric Ballroom article that mentions the band + confirmations for shows that are already in the guide + 10 new shows that are not in the guide:

1995.04.10 Scottsdale, AZ, Atomic Cafe (with Lemon Krayola)

1995.04.23 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Plasterfish, Millennium and Morphine Mary)

1996.01.26 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom

1997.05.23 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom (with Puzzle Gut and Vitamin)

1997.07.26 Tempe, AZ, Electric Ballroom

1998.01.31 Tempe, AZ, The Bash On Ash @ McDuffy's

1998.03.17 Tempe, AZ, The Bash On Ash @ McDuffy's, St. Patrick's Day

1998.10.17 Tempe, AZ, Gibson's (with Dislocated Styles, Bionic Jive and Mission G)

1998.10.24 Tempe, AZ, Gibson's (with Yoko Love, Tolerance and Jesus Chrysler Supercar)

1998.10.31 Phoenix, AZ, Jackson's On 3rd, Halloween Bash (with Lucy's Fur Coat and Jesus Chrysler Supercar)

Arizona Republic 1995.01.18.PNG

Arizona Republic 1995.04.07.PNG

Arizona Republic 1995.04.21.PNG

Arizona Republic 1996.01.26.PNG

Arizona Republic 1996.03.22.PNG

Arizona Republic 1997.05.23.PNG

Arizona Republic 1997.07.25.PNG

Arizona Republic 1997.10.02.PNG

Arizona Republic 1998.01.29.PNG

Arizona Republic 1998.02.05.PNG

Arizona Republic 1999.01.28.PNG

Arizona Republic 1998.03.12.PNG

Arizona Republic 1998.03.12 - ( 2).PNG

Arizona Republic 1998.04.16.PNG

Arizona Republic 1998.04.23.PNG

Arizona Republic 1998.10.15.PNG

Arizona Republic 1998.10.22.PNG

Arizona Republic 1998.10.29.PNG

Awesome!

Great job!

Grey Daze will release its third CD this spring

Is this from 1998?

Dowdell says two songs have received regular airplay on local stations

Two songs from Wake Me?

Do you know which ones?

I'm guessing "Sometimes" is one of them since the song is played during that Salt Mine interview.

Sean also said "Hole" became one of the bands biggest hits...

But if it's not exclusively about Wake Me, we know "B12" also got radio airplay.

Thank you! Yes, that article is from February 5th, 1998 issue.

Another interesting quote (from January 18th, 1995):

Karey Rose, manager of the band Grey Daze, said the club is the best run he's seen. He said the band has played in 15 venues in Arizona and New Mexico.

As for songs, I believe they are "Sometimes" and "B12", but it's a guess. "The Down Syndrome" was on radio as well.

Thank you!

Here's also a Linkin Park article from December 14th, 2000. It incorrectly states that Chester joined the band called "Zero" in 1997, but it contains a quote from Chester about Grey Daze:

"We achieved a certain amount of local success, but musically we weren't growing anymore, and even our fans were getting sick of seeing the same show over and over again," Bennington says. "It was time for me to move on."

Arizona Republic 2000.12.14.png

• 5 weeks later...

More random mentions:

SOLEYduncan was one of the hottest band in Phoenix (and southwest states) in the late 90's thru the early 00's. They played with some of the best local acts in Phoenix, bands like Fred Green, Yoko Love, Trick Turner, Authority Zero, Jimmy Eat World, Gin Blossoms, Grey Daze, The Refreshments, Honey Bucket... and many, many others.

http://profileengine.com/groups/profile/431098642/soleyduncan?offset=60

10-17-04
Crazy, Crazy, Crazy. The last 2 days I've been hanging with the guys in Orgy, and with that comes all the usual and am i beat! the long beach show was da bomb! Chester Bennington from Linkin Park showed up, and sang with them. I hung out with him and his awesome wife backstage. It was cool seeing them again. My old band Psycho Gypsy used to play alot of shows with his old band Grey Daze back when we both lived in phoenix. We were talking about how different it is over there nowadays. He seemed kinda tripped out to run into me as well, was pretty cool! Been deep in rehearsals for the upcoming shows, and on pre-production of the new CD. Just Found out the Vixen special that me and Traci are hamming it up in airs in Nov. on Vh1. Added new "peeps with creeps" pics, keep sending them in! The Halloween show on the 30th @ the gig is gonna have quite a few surprises and 'special guests" be sure to be there and then go see Toxic Twist @ The Roxy! That's all for now.
Much Love
EE

http://peppermintcreeps.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/id2.html

New Sean Dowdell And His Friends Show! Attached the flyer.

1993.05.01 Phoenix, AZ, Street Survivors, "Schools Out Rave For Summer" Warehouse Rave Party

with Boodaloo, Bog Pig & The Fishmuddle and Plasterfish

Also, one more random mention

I was living in Phoenix and went to a local big club to see a band called Grey Daze. They were unsigned, but had a strong buzz. I was immensely impressed with the singer, who just blew me away, but the rest of the band was light years behind him and completely uninspiring.

After the show, he walked right over to me, and advised me I was hitting on his wife (unsuccessfully). We talked for a few minutes, and I told him what I thought. He listened, as much as anyone can in a loud rock club, and we went our separate ways.

It was maybe a year or so later that I heard his voice again, this time on the local hard radio station, KUPD. He'd moved on from Grey Daze and was the singer for Linkin Park. The voice was unmistakable, but you don't forget a name like Chester Bennington, either.

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-only-Vocal-audio-out-there-for-Skid-Rows-18-and-life-song

Also, attached one more picture for the show Grey Daze opened for Vince Neil. It mentioned twice on the picture. Grey Daze isn't announced though, just like on the flyer from the show.

full.jpg

ad2 eballroom.jpeg

More random mentions:

SOLEYduncan was one of the hottest band in Phoenix (and southwest states) in the late 90's thru the early 00's. They played with some of the best local acts in Phoenix, bands like Fred Green, Yoko Love, Trick Turner, Authority Zero, Jimmy Eat World, Gin Blossoms, Grey Daze, The Refreshments, Honey Bucket... and many, many others.

http://profileengine.com/groups/profile/431098642/soleyduncan?offset=60

This one is solved!

New Grey Daze show:

1997.10.17 Tempe, AZ, The Bash On Ash @ McDuffy's (with SOLEYduncan and Necessary Enemy)

The names on the scans are hilariously misspelled.

Also attached an ad for the Earth Day festival page. Changed the event name from "Earth Day '96 Festival" to "Earth Day '96 Festival/Reaching For 2000"

EDIT: Also added two more clippings for existing pages.

Arizona Republic 1997.10.16.PNG

Arizona Republic 1997.10.09.PNG

Arizona Republic 1996.04.17.PNG

Arizona Republic 1997.12.18.PNG

Arizona Republic 1998.02.19.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess, people that told me that the band has only played once in Castles N' Coasters were not entirely correct. There were obviously a few shows.

Show attendee: "I remember seein one of the early incarnations of jimmy eat world play at Castles N Coasters in Glendale, AZ way back in the day. The opening band was Gray Daze with Chester from Linkin Park on vocals. There were like 30-40 people there. It's amazing that Jimmy Eat World is even still around...they have a few good songs though".

Show attendee: "@jimmyeatworld I remember seeing you guys at Castles and Coasters in about '94 and skateboarding with some of you in a Mesa parking garage".

Show attendee: "Well, it was awhile ago. I remember they played Castles and Coasters, which I thought was a strange place to have bands. A local rock dj fronted a cover band that played before them. The only other thing I remember from that show was Chester's wife and her baby stroller".

The person who was selling that 1996 photo signed by the band @ Castles N' Coasters on eBay: "I can't be sure but I think it was during the summer of 1998".
Also, according to him, they weren't opening for Jimmy Eat World at the show. There weren't any other bands at all.

Jonathan Krause: "I did not play the Castles and Coaster show. It was probably 97".

I also contacted members of Shaded Grey to ask about the shows they were playing with Grey Daze and their reply was: "No idea on the dates, but one was at the Mason Jar and another was at Castles N Coasters I believe".
I then asked them: "I've heard about the Castles N' Coasters show. Someone once said that the opening band for this show was some cover band fronted by local rock DJ. Another person told me that Grey Daze was opening for Jimmy Eat World at the show. Probably two different shows. Does any of them sound like the show you are talking about?".
Their answer was: "Hmm... it might be the first one with the cover band. I believe we played after that but before Grey Daze. Tough to remember".

*********************************************************************************

I got in touch with a great guy from SOLEYduncan and his friend.
According to them there was also a Grey Daze/SOLEYduncan show in Atomic Cafe. I also got a confirmation of Guitar Center's Opening Party show from them along with a few details:

Steven: Even rmbr Grey Days show opening the new Guitar Center on I17 n Peoria whr Mike was Working......
Me: Steven, I've heard about the Guitar Center show, but don't have any info about it in the guide.
I even tried to contact the current staff of the shop, but he wasn't helpful. Do you remember the exact date? Or maybe there's a way to figure it out?

Steven: All I remember is that it was for Guitar. Centers Grand Opening. So if you can find out that date???
Me: Can't seem to find anything about that gig online. Am I right thinking that the store was first opened in 1998, then closed, then re-opened in 2000, but on a different spot of the same building?
Steven: Ya I believe so. The show was on a dirt field just west or next to store. B4 other buildings were built. Had to be 98.
Me: Thanks a lot. It helps. Also, were they the only band on the bill?
Steven: I believe so. I dont think they had many songs as I recall them play some over again. There were huge lines. Lots of peps there for Grand Opening.
Not sure if this one was mentioned but SD also opened for Grey Days at the Atomic Cafe once. No idea the date. SD went on first, then sm other band. Then Grey Daze. I think we all left b4 Grey Days went on...
Me: Weird about them playing some songs over again at that Guitar Center gig. They had something like 30+ songs by 1998. Great to know about the Atomic Cafe show. I'll try to look for this one as well. Thanks for a clue!
Steven: Cool. Maybe they played the hit songs over. There were long lines going in so the crowd was changing as peps walked in. Good luck....

Then I found this document, according to which the store was opened in 1997:
http://www.getfilings.com/o0001047469-99-009580.html

*********************************************************************************

When I was in travolta we opened up for a band called greydaze with a singer named chester, I heard he later moved to cali and started singing in a band called linkin park (true story)

http://theshizz.org/forum/index.php/topic/12259-confession-time/page-5?do=findComment&comment=229112

Summing it all up, I'm adding the following shows to the first post:

• Grey Daze playing in Castles N' Coasters without other bands
  • Grey Daze playing in Castles N' Coasters with Jimmy Eat World
  • Grey Daze playing in Castles N' Coasters with Shaded Grey and "a cover band fronted by a local rock DJ"
  • Grey Daze playing in Mason Jar with Shaded Grey
  • Grey Daze playing with SOLEYduncan in Atomic Cafe
  • Grey Daze playing with Travolta

I'd like to remove the following shows from the guide:
xxxx.xx.xx Tempe, AZ, Fender Showcase Room @ Electric Ballroom

xxxx.xx.xx Phoenix, AZ, Castles N' Coasters

it was nice to have them for a while, but now they look a bit unnecessary.

I'd like to add this one instead:

1997.xx.xx Phoenix, AZ, Guitar Center, Grand Opening

"Grand Opening" is a legit title for Guitar Center's opening parties.