2014.07.24 - San Diego, CA - mtvU Fandom Awards

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have already rehearsed the entire album before the European Tour, and then they used those rehearsals to decide what to play in Europe. They are just going over two of the songs on THP to add to UIG, Wastelands and GATS for Carnivores.

They'll add more in Europe and probably South America.

Mike can just make me 10x happier about this "2 song" thing by telling us they're opening the show with the Mall Opening Credits Song. I'd shit my pants.

If LP played the Mall song, I would probably have the biggest orgasm in my life. Well, one of them. :P

Look at the setlist next to him. Looks like a six song setlist for tomorrow or some six song rehearsal set.

?????? (maybe Catalyst/Requiem Mashup Intro?)

GATS

Wastelands

Until It's Gone

Final Masquerade

??????

Last one might be Keys To The Kingdom due to how long it is.

Hmm, this is what I see:

Catalyst / Requiem Mashup Intro

GATS

Wastelands

Until It's Gone

Final Masquerade OR Faint (Can't tell)

??? (It looks like an acronym)

I feel like if we wait long enough they'll just post an image of the setlist the way thins are going right now :lol:

Edited by Søuł

It culd also be K.T.K or L.T.S., though I'm doubtful of those combos.

Am I alone in saying it's really fun figuring out what's on every rehearsal set with you guys? :lol:

Edited by Søuł

Just looked at it again... If it's tomorrow's setlist, I think this is what it is:

1) Catalyst / Requiem Mashup Intro

2) GATS

3) Wastelands (Note next to it, maybe Hard Start?)

4) Until It's Gone (Note next to it, probably the intro)

5) Faint w/ outro OR Final Masquerade

6) OSC w/ outro

I could be wrong, but that's what it might be for tomorrow.

Something to keep in mind: 5 songs from a new album in a live set from a band that's on their 6th album is a LOT. Typically the longer a band is around, the fewer songs they play from each new album. It's a simple logistical matter, really. They have a larger catalog of songs to choose from, there's a larger number of songs they'll consider "must-plays" for one reason or another, and you can't exactly just make your live show 30+ minutes longer every time you release an album. There are a LOT of older bands that will put out an album and only play the lead single from it live...ever.

KISS's last few albums are a great example of this. They released Psycho Circus in 1998, which had 10 tracks on it. Only 4 of them were ever played live - 3 of them on the album's tour in 1998/1999, and the 2 that weren't the lead single were permanently dropped after that tour. They randomly added one more song for a few shows in 2004, but it was quickly dropped as well. Their next album Sonic Boom came out in 2009. 11 tracks on this one, but again, only 3 of them were ever played live, and only the lead single survived past that album's tour (and even that song has been played VERY sporadically since then). Their most recent album Monster came out in 2012, which had 12 tracks on it, and they actually DID play 6 songs from it live...but half of those songs were played 6 or fewer times in total, and again, only the lead single made it for more than one tour (it's been played 112 times to date, the second-highest total for any song from that album is...18).

This is a trend that's only going to continue as the band gets older, guys. The days of hearing every song from the newest Linkin Park album on tour are LONG gone. Look at how many songs from A Thousand Suns and Living Things are left in the live set that haven't been shortened/altered drastically - only two (Burn It Down and Waiting For the End). Were you a fan of Victimized? Hope you got to see it on the last tour, because they'll probably never play it again. This is going to be the norm now. They simply WILL NOT drop stuff like In the End, One Step Closer, Numb, What I've Done, Bleed it Out, etc. to play stuff like Mark the Graves, I'll Be Gone, All For Nothing, etc...nor should they. With a fanbase this volatile, the big singles are probably the only common thread left that will keep putting butts in the seats.

Edited by Astat

I agree with you, but at least they can sacrifice one or two songs from the latest album for some live debuts. no matter when, if they try to do it.

best example is the 2008 European tour, they debuted Valentine's Day and In Between way after the album release, but still while playing in support of it.

just rotate a bit of the set, that's all...of course not all singles can be played then, but still a big number of them.

Whatever the final song is from the setlist, it clearly has some note to it, like an extension or somethng of the sort. Mike's picture has his keyboard and samplers getting ready for the new songs, so piano is used on at least Final Masquerade. There is some piano in ALITS so that could be used too, I don't know what samples Mike would be triggering on songs that he has prominent vocals in anyway, like AFN or Rebellion. Rebellion also has some synth part in the bridge, but that may be a guitar with effects on it.