Julien-K 2014.06.28 Los Angeles, CA (DTA in Full)

hahninator

Yeah that's what I thought but ryan said as of few days ago there doing everything on there own now or so ryan says

He includes Daniel in his statement. Daniel used to own Tiefdruck Musik but ended the business, so now he is pretty much the only person involved with the band. 2808 MGMT isn't a multi-person company, it's run by one man and he's one of the coolest, nicest and supportive people I've ever come to know.

It was Daniel who suggest to Ryan and Amir to hire me to work with them in 2012. However, Daniel only runs the operations in Europe; I'm not sure how far his reach is but they have no management in the US, which is why they don't tour there.

Now I get it, haha. After the 2009 tours they really fell apart. Didn't they lose their management in 2008? Or something happened at least. All that shit that went down that caused them to cancel opening for LP in Europe....

2009 was their last USA tour. I don't understand why they didn't do a single tour here for We're Here With You.

For their future, are they doomed? Will anyone even sign them at this point? Or is it possible they can get on with someone and then get on the road? If they are serious about being a band they'll get an album released and figure out a way to tour...that's the only way to promote the band now.

I believe there was a drug raid involved? I'm not sure on the actual details on that side of things but they're independant for sure.

They can get signed at any point, as I believe they're not "shelved" so they are free to sign with whoever they like. But yeah, in my opinion they need more regular releases and regular shows to gain their popularity. However, touring as a support act doesn't pay... Touring as a headliner pays, but you still have your own costs added to it. There just isn't any financial benefit right now, they need to build their fanbase. Which is done through touring. Vicious cycle I guess.

I don't know what exactly happened with their old management, all I remember is that the government froze their assets or something like that and that prevented them from touring Europe in 2008 etc. and in the end delayed the release of the DTA album too.

They seem to be happy with this independent situation, cause it took them a while to get free from this messy situation. Daniel is a great guy and manager.

I think they said they were/are waiting for a good opportunity to do a bigger US tour as a support band but apparently that didn't work out yet.

That whole Level 7 thing is what it was. I think the owner went down because of the government looking into him, etc and all that. Chester had some sort of affiliation with it too, but I guess he escaped from all of the problems with it. He chose to not answer our Level 7 question when we interviewed him.

I know they are picky guys but there has to have been an opportunity between 2009 and now to tour the USA, LOL. All sorts of bands they can hop on with. If Papa Roach and Filter will take them out in Europe, they'll do it here too. Filter is on its hands and knees for survival. Hell, 10 Years would take them out for sure. They don't get much money but they have to build the fanbase up. Then they can headline eventually.

Bands like Combichrist, Mindless Self Indulgence, etc are right up their alley. Decode Radio. Hop on those tours as the opener - surely that's better than not touring at all. The LP fans will go see them.

Edit: Why was Killing Fields not on DTA? Was it recorded after the album? Does anyone know the story on that song? It's a fantastic, underrated song.

Julien-K is a US band, yet they don't tour in their home country. Wtf is wrong with the world?

Have you not been reading our replies?! :P

i've always felt the julien-k guys had very shady side-businesses. Is there any truth to it or with what exactly are they supporthing themselves outside of the band.

They're far from shady. Ryan and Amir may still have assets from their previous works (Rough Cutt, Orgy, DBS, to name a few), but they are also businessmen. They own a few bars/restaurants in LA together.

Feels like this band is gonna die someday, Killing Fields is one of my favorite songs of all time, it's a master piece... Disease is really good too, their first album is great in general.

What's up with Brandon? what is he doing now?

Last I heard, he was playing bass in his girlfriends band. I believe they're a country act.

Why was Killing Fields not on DTA? Was it recorded after the album? Does anyone know the story on that song? It's a fantastic, underrated song.

I asked them on twitter and they said. "It was finished too late"...

I am just mad that Julien-K never does a tour in the US. The last time I saw them was at Projekt Revolution 2007. I could have seem them last year at SSMF but I wanted to be front row for LP and I had no one to hold my spot for me. I wish they would just do a proper tour in the US, I tried to make it to the 2009 tour but it didn't work out.