Songs LP Rehearsed But Never Played

RogueSoul

Over the years, the band has rehearsed many songs that were not played on the subsequent tour. Here's a list of songs that we know were rehearsed but not played.

• Carousel - Rehearsed for the Headlining European Tour in 2001. The song was likely performed pre-Linkin Park (Xero/Hybrid Theory Era)

• Breaking The Habit - Rehearsed for the beginning of the Meteora Tour (early 2003), but not performed until the end of the year.
  • Forgotten - Rehearsed for the Meteora World Tour but was never played.

• The Little Things Give You Away - Was rehearsed for the MTM Promo Tour but wasn't played until the European Tour.

• No Roads Left - Rehearsed for the European and Projekt Revolution 2008 Tours, but not played due to the band thinking it didn't sound good enough live. Dropped from Euro Set X just before the first show.

• By Myself - A reliable source said the band rehearsed this song in June 2009.

• Points Of Authority - Was on one of the London 2010 sets and the soundcheck set, but was wound up being replaced with No More Sorrow. (Not necessarily rehearsed)
  • Somewhere I Belong - Was on one of the London 2010 sets, but was wound up being replaced with No More Sorrow. (Not necessarily rehearsed)

• I'LL BE GONE - Chester said in an LPU Chat in December 2012 they rehearsed IBG, but didn't play it on the following tour.
  • Leave Out All The Rest - The song was on a potential rehearsal set at the Cape Town summit in 2012, but ended up being performed as the Ballad Medley instead.
  • Wretches and Kings - Pooch mentioned that the band was rehearsing this song for the Honda Civic Tour.

• A Light That Never Comes - The full version of the song was rehearsed for the Carnivores Tour in 2014, but ultimately not played.
  • A Line In The Sand - The band performed all of The Hunting Party at some point before touring for it.
  • A Place For My Head - The song was rehearsed for the Carnivores Tour in 2014, but not played regularly. It was performed during the soundcheck during the Amsterdam Summit, but didn't appear in a setlist until the new Set A debuted in 2015.
  • All For Nothing - The band performed all of The Hunting Party at some point before touring for it.
  • Breaking The Habit - The song was rehearsed for the Carnivores Tour in 2014, but ultimately not played.
  • By Myself - The song was rehearsed for the Carnivores Tour in 2014, but ultimately not played. It was only performed at the Download Festival celebrating Hybrid Theory's 14th Anniversary.
  • Cure For The Itch - The song was rehearsed for the Carnivores Tour in 2014, but ultimately not played. It was only performed at the Download Festival celebrating Hybrid Theory's 14th Anniversary.
  • Final Masquerade - The band performed all of The Hunting Party at some point before touring for it. The song debuted later on the tour, during the Carnivores Tour.
  • Forgotten - The song was rehearsed for the Carnivores Tour in 2014, but ultimately not played. It was only performed at the Download Festival celebrating Hybrid Theory's 14th Anniversary.
  • Keys To The Kingdom - The band performed all of The Hunting Party at some point before touring for it.
  • Mark The Graves - The band performed all of The Hunting Party at some point before touring for it.
  • No More Sorrow - The song was rehearsed for the Carnivores Tour in 2014, but ultimately not played.
  • Pushing Me Away - The song was rehearsed for the Carnivores Tour in 2014, but ultimately not played. It was only performed at the Download Festival celebrating Hybrid Theory's 14th Anniversary.
  • Rebellion - The band performed all of The Hunting Party at some point before touring for it. The song debuted later on the tour, during the Carnivores Tour.
  • War - The band performed all of The Hunting Party at some point before touring for it.
  • When They Come For Me - The song was rehearsed for the Carnivores Tour in 2014, but ultimately not played.
  • Wretches and Kings - The song was rehearsed for the Carnivores Tour in 2014, but ultimately not played.

• War - Based on an Instagram post, the band seemed to have been rehearsing War for The Hunting Party North American Tour, but it didn't make it into the setlist. Instead, From The Inside and A Place For My Head were performed.

Anyone have anything else to add?

Edited by Hahninator

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in Bristow rehearsal they played Tinfoil, but the didn't played it in Bristow show.

i don't know if you want to count this one too, but they also played Papercut in the rehearsal, but eventually played Lying From You/Papercut medley in the show.

and i think you should change the "Never" in the title, unless you gonna stay only with "Carousel".

Edited by Skipees

They played Tinfoil because they probably went trough all the sets.

We know almost nothing about the rehearsals they do always at Third Encore. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried some of the other LT songs.

P5hng is a veeery vague assumption.

They played Tinfoil because they probably went trough all the sets.

We know almost nothing about the rehearsals they do always at Third Encore. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried some of the other LT songs.

P5hng is a veeery vague assumption.

Chester said in December of last year that they were rehearsing I'LL BE GONE.

It implies during a specific tour, not like... ever. Like Carousel.

ok, so my Bristow post is irrelevant, the played Tinfoil and Papercut in this tour. Edited by Skipees

Carousel was actually rehearsed during the 2001 European Headline Tour, not Family Values. They rehearsed both that and My December during soundchecks on that tour...they wound up adding My December to the set, but not Carousel.

I think I remember Mark saying they rehearsed By Myself at one point in 2009? Can't remember exactly.

I think I remember Mark saying they rehearsed By Myself at one point in 2009? Can't remember exactly.

I thought it was played at a soundcheck somewhere around there.

Weren't QWERTY's bass lines and one other song played at a soundcheck like a year or two ago? And POA was on two 2010 setlists but not played.... maybe they rehearsed it?

Since the band doesn't soundcheck before shows outside the summits, it was maybe just someone from the crew playing the QWERTY bass line, wasnt it one of the Australia 2010 shows?.

I think POA is one of the songs they don't really need to rehearse.

By Myself was in 2009 I think but no one really wants / is allowed to talk about what they rehearse for very obvious reasons.

Actually, I just remembered where Mark heard about By Myself in '09, and it was from a source I've always found questionable at best (basically someone who has claimed on numerous occasions over the years to be involved with the band, but he's never been credited/thanked in album booklets or listed as one of their touring personnel...hmm...). They said they were at rehearsals for the '09 tour, but who knows how much truth there is to that.

There have most likely been instances where LP has rehearsed songs but never played them. Im not talking B-Sides (specifically), more in general. Here are a few examples + Evidence

- By Myself: A questionable source said the band rehearsed this song in 2009.

- I'LL BE GONE: Chester said in an LPU Chat in December 2012 they rehearsed IBG, but didn't play it on the following tour.

- Wretches and Kings: Pooch mentioned that the band was rehearsing this song for the Honda Civic Tour.

Woaahhhh man i mustve missed this :s

If only ;(

Weren't there rumors of them rehearsing the studio version of Leave Out All The Rest before the Cape Town show in 2012?

It was one one of the soundcheck setlists but I'm not sure if they meant the medley or not.

Adding to this:

http://lplive.net/shows/20090617.php

The guy that said they rehearsed By Myself was at this rehearsal before fans arrived, doing something with Pooch. He said Mike also played part of Hot N Cold by Katy Perry on his little synth thing lol. I mean I can't verify it myself but he said it happened. Maybe he's full of shit, who knows. He was at the Transformers 2 show watching with Pooch too. He's the same guy that has the No Roads Left w/ Chester version and has visited LP in the studio quite a few times, according to him. I can't 100% verify this myself of his legitimacy but he's offered me comp tickets + side stage, etc at some LA shows so I would ASSUME he's legit but I don't know.

Bristow doesn't count lol, LP did a 30 minute touch up of Set A and then did Set C.

The show where the fans said they heard QWERTY, I bet Pez or Mikey could elaborate on that one. That was apparently when BITS and Blackout were both soundchecked in full so it's possible Phoenix was just fucking around in between songs or something, so I don't think we should count it unless one of them says the full song was played.

SIB and POA appearing on the London n2 2010 setlists: Neither were rehearsed before the tour started. They would have been totally improv performances like LFY/LOATR were mid-tour. So those don't count either since none of those 4 were rehearsed, and APFMH wasn't rehearsed either, so that's a 5th one just from that tour. Pretty cool. Add a note about it I guess.

And yes No Roads Left was rehearsed before Europe's summer tour in 2008. I don't think they rehearsed again in the two weeks between Europe/PR08. Mansfield probably got a great rehearsal the day before the tour started.....

He's the same guy that has the No Roads Left w/ Chester version and has visited LP in the studio quite a few times, according to him.

Yeah it exists. Good luck getting it, I've tried since 2008 with no luck.

What? :o

he's the only one?

Adding to this:

http://lplive.net/shows/20090617.php

The guy that said they rehearsed By Myself was at this rehearsal before fans arrived, doing something with Pooch. He said Mike also played part of Hot N Cold by Katy Perry on his little synth thing lol. I mean I can't verify it myself but he said it happened. Maybe he's full of shit, who knows. He was at the Transformers 2 show watching with Pooch too. He's the same guy that has the No Roads Left w/ Chester version and has visited LP in the studio quite a few times, according to him. I can't 100% verify this myself of his legitimacy but he's offered me comp tickets + side stage, etc at some LA shows so I would ASSUME he's legit but I don't know.

Bristow doesn't count lol, LP did a 30 minute touch up of Set A and then did Set C.

The show where the fans said they heard QWERTY, I bet Pez or Mikey could elaborate on that one. That was apparently when BITS and Blackout were both soundchecked in full so it's possible Phoenix was just fucking around in between songs or something, so I don't think we should count it unless one of them says the full song was played.

SIB and POA appearing on the London n2 2010 setlists: Neither were rehearsed before the tour started. They would have been totally improv performances like LFY/LOATR were mid-tour. So those don't count either since none of those 4 were rehearsed, and APFMH wasn't rehearsed either, so that's a 5th one just from that tour. Pretty cool. Add a note about it I guess.

And yes No Roads Left was rehearsed before Europe's summer tour in 2008. I don't think they rehearsed again in the two weeks between Europe/PR08. Mansfield probably got a great rehearsal the day before the tour started.....

As a footnote, this same guy also once claimed that he arranged Mike's keyboard parts for the live version of Breaking the Habit (as in figuring out how to transpose the string parts to keys). Of all the things that make me question this guy's legitimacy, that one takes the cake. Mike is a classically trained pianist, wrote the BTH string parts on keyboard in the first place that Dave Campbell subsequently arranged for live strings, and the BTH live keyboard part isn't really THAT difficult...but he had to rely on someone else to figure it out for him? None of the LP band members or crew personnel have ever mentioned this guy by name as far as I'm aware, and he's never been thanked in the liner notes of any of their albums, yet he's apparently important enough to help them arrange some of their music? :huh: We DO know for sure that he's some type of music producer from the LA area...but I honestly can't recall any of his meetings with Linkin Park ever being verified by anyone other than him, lol.

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure No Roads Left was also rehearsed prior to PR07. Remember that picture from the "secret show" with the one LPU member holding a full show setlist that was different from any of the final A/B/C sets? Pretty sure NRL was on there (shame the picture was so low-resolution...still curious what that full set was).

Edited by Astat

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure No Roads Left was also rehearsed prior to PR07. Remember that picture from the "secret show" with the one LPU member holding a full show setlist that was different from any of the final A/B/C sets? Pretty sure NRL was on there (shame the picture was so low-resolution...still curious what that full set was).

Interesting... could you try to find that picture?