LP Remix Guide

Linkin Park Remix Guide 2.0

Since it appears that the original project was a) never fully completed and B) abandoned, I decided it was time to reestablish the project, as the remix community continues to grow. We'll be going through Linkin Park, LPU, DBS, FM, STBwCB, and exclusively-live tracks for this.

Click here to view the new remix guide.

If you want to help complete the document, PM me and I'll give you editing privileges.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, guys.

So I'm wanting to make a Google Doc Spreadsheet as a quick reference guide for Linkin Park fan remixers. You want to know the tempo of a song? Here you go. Key? Here you go. Curious if there are stems? This'll tell you what's out there. There have been so many times I've just wanted to sort my tracks by tempo or key and then decide if I want to do a mash-up, instead of getting excited over an idea and once halfway through it realizing it's just not going to work.

So that's the point of this project. It's a Google Doc spreadsheet that lists all Linkin Park, Fort Minor, and Dead By Sunrise songs, their keys, tempo, availability of stems, and of course title and album. As of right now, I've only got the five studio albums listed, with a good jumping point for formatting certain things. Not all of the information is complete, though! And that's why I need your help!

Here's the link to the Remix Guide, as it is right now.

Some things to note:

• I know this is LP Live, but there's no need for live tracks, unless it's something specific like an IEM recording that can be used. So there's no use for putting in Live In Texas or Road to Revolution.
  • Time Signatures do change. In Burning In The Skies, for example, the verses are in 6/4, while the chorus is in 4/4. So I notated that by putting it like this: "6/4(v) 4/4©".
  • Some of the songs might not be quantized (or they weren't recorded to a click track). An example would include The Messenger, which I know is around 125, but not 125-exactly-on-the-dot. I notated that with an "almost-equal-to" sign next to the tempo. Like this: "≈125".
  • There are a lot of interludes on A Thousand Suns. If you know any other interludes (like Reanimation), just copy that formatting. The formatting there is more useful for Reanimation than ATS, since there is a key, tempo, and time signature for Wake, The Radiance, NTR/mssn etc.
  • To my knowledge, Until It Breaks is the only song with an actual tempo change that I've come across. There's a change from 80bpm to 85bpm at some point (I'll have to check for those values). I haven't gotten there yet, but I'll probably notate it like this "80(v1) -> 85(v2)" Or something like that.
  • As far as the Stems column goes, it's a bit more complicated than just a Yes or No. Yes would be that the song has stems, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't say something about that Make Your Own Mash-Up contest LP had around 2008 or so. They may not be super high quality loops, but I know there are partial bits of Leave Out All The Rest out there to use. There's also some fan made stuff, some of the songs have incomplete stems. There's a turntable track for It's Goin' Down floating around out there. I'd like to account for all of that.
  • Some tracks were released as b-sides. My December and High Voltage should use Hybrid Theory's formatting, while Blackbirds or It's Goin Down should use a formatting of their own, since they don't really belong to an album.

What I really need help with right now is putting in rows for Hybrid Theory EP, Reanimation, Collision Course, LPU cds, collaborations, and b-sides. I might also include links to lyrics (try to use an official source, if possible).

At any rate... for now this is open for people to edit. You guys have the link. Please don't be a dick about it by deleting everything, and don't be upset if someone else corrects you if you're wrong. That's just how peer review goes, and that's the best way to ensure accuracy.

So, what do you guys think? Good idea?

Edited by RogueSoul
lil bump bc this is old as shit and needs updating

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm just gonna leave this here:

If you want THP keys/time signatures, give me a sec
KTTK: 4/4, E minor AFN: 4/4, E minor GATS: 4/4, D minor The Summoning: ...The two guitar chords are D5's, so I guess D minor? lol War: 4/4, E minor Wastelands: 4/4 (I suppose this could be a really fast 12/8, it's a swing rhythm like WTCFM), D minor UIG: 4/4 (6/4 in a few places), E minor Rebellion: 4/4, C minor (OMG SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!!!) MTG: 4/4, E (this one has some E minor sections and E major sections, I'd say E major is more "dominant" though) Drawbar: 4/4, E minor Final Masquerade: 4/4, Eb major (OMG SOMETHING ELSE DIFFERENT!!!!!!) ALITS: 4/4, D minor
So everything's 4/4 except the intro/outro riff of UIG, and everything's in E minor or D minor except Rebellion, Final Masquerade, and part of MTG.
No clue on tempos.

By Astat.

Edited by lpliveusername

If anyone were to input it into the guide it would look like this then:

Keys To The Kingdom

• ​Tempo: 92
  • Key: E Minor
  • Time Signature: 4/4
  • Stems: Acapella / Instrumental

All For Nothing

• ​Tempo: 80

Guilty All The Same

• ​Tempo: 200
  • Key: D Minor
  • Stems: Yes

The Summoning

• ​Tempo: ???
  • Time Signature: N/A
  • Stems: Instrumental

War

Wastelands

• ​Tempo: 170

Until It's Gone

• ​Tempo: 115
  • Time Signature: 4/4 (intro, outro) 6/4

Rebellion

• ​Tempo: 130
  • Key: C Minor

Mark The Graves

• ​Tempo: 135
  • Key: E Minor / E Major

Drawbar

• ​Tempo: 135 / 115 (outro)
  • Key: E Major / E Minor (outro)
  • Stems: Instrumental

Final Masquerade

• Key: Eb Major

A Line In The Sand

• ​Tempo: 200

Tempos are taken mainly from the LPA Wiki, probably not the best source but I imagine they can't be that far off.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Linkin Park Remix Guide 2.0

Since it appears that the original project was a) never fully completed and B) abandoned, I decided it was time to reestablish the project, as the remix community continues to grow. We'll be going through Linkin Park, LPU, DBS, FM, STBwCB, and exclusively-live tracks for this.

Click here to view the new remix guide.

If you want to help complete the document, PM me and I'll give you editing privileges.

• 2 years later...

Shit, I meant to give you editing privileges on the original doc. The idea was that the first page of the Excel sheet would be for main LP Studio Albums (or their major releases, to account for Reanimation and Collision Course), the second page would be for LPU tracks and other directly Linkin Park related minutiae (DJ Hero Stems, Tasty Breaks, etc). Then Fort Minor / DBS / STPwCB / solo related projects.

That way it would be a little easier to navigate. :-)

Send me a PM or a message on SoundCloud; I'd be more than happy to work with you so the formatting works out to everyone's advantage--I'm not 100% sure I know how to do it, but you can copy your data into Astat and myself's original file and I can format it for you and give you credit. I'm sorry, Soul, I'm really bad about this type of stuff. I didn't know this project would actually be popular and useful.

Edited by Reflectionist

New Divide is F Minor I think. The doc says B Minor

I feel like a lot of these keys got messed up somewhere along the way, because I spent a lot of time on the original guide and there's no way in hell I would have made as glaring of an oversight as saying Papercut's in Eb minor when it's in C# minor. Not sure who all has editing privileges on this anymore.

There are so many corrections I want to make on this now...I made my contributions to this long before I understood modes or that there actually is a reason you say something's in the key of Bb instead of A#, for example.

Edited by Astat

Aaaand that's what happens when I forget about a pet project of mine. Sorry, guys. I've been focusing on my daughter, and put this one on the back burner. I've been in touch with Astat and RogueSoul and we're compiling back into the original Google Doc.

In all honesty, I'm certain the reason I quit working on the Remix Guide in the first place was because I was doing pretty good with formatting the boxes to reference album art colors. Minutes to Midnight was white-on-black, while A Thousand Suns was black-on-white. So when the Hunting Party came out--yet another black-and-white album, I panicked and gave up,

Edit -- Updated the original Remix Guide today with Astat. I added The Hunting Party, but I haven't confirmed anything from that for myself. I usually let Astat get the Key, because he's honestly more into the music theory than I am. He's been updating the key for some of these songs, and even getting into modes which is something I'm not super familiar with (I could only afford classes up to Theory II, and never got III or IV).

I would love for there to be a readme file that could give a few ideas on what the guide could be used for, who the collaborators are, maybe a few helpful links to music theory resources. Another thing I think might be helpful... for these Rock Band / Guitar Hero games where the stems for songs are eventually going to come up, but no, they haven't yet, I think those should be noted. Maybe just with the game title. Remember how Breaking The Habit was on Rock Band 3, but it took considerably longer for those stems to come out, than say, Numb?

EDIT 2 -- How has nobody gotten the tempo for Final Masquerade yet? It literally starts with drums! Okay, it doesn't have a downbeat, but... drums! Lol. I kid, I kid. I'm just a little bit frustrated because I didn't actually have the hard drive space for my LP collection at the moment on this computer. I actually only have a few songs worth of stems, just enough for projects I thought were worth bringing over from my old laptop. I need to get another hard drive. Sucks being poor.

Edited by Reflectionist

Since I'm adding modes where appropriate here's a quick little guide:

Lydian: Major scale with a sharp 4
Mixolydian: Major scale with a minor 7
Dorian: Minor scale with a major 6

Phrygian: Minor scale with a flat 2
Locrian: Minor scale with a flat 2 AND a flat 5
Harmonic minor (not really a "mode" technically): Minor scale with a major 7

Lydian and locrian don't really show up much in LP music, but the rest are fairly common. When I make note of these, I still note the key as being either major or minor, since modes are based on scales and a key signature is somewhat of a different thing. Sometimes it's kind of a judgement call on a song's key/mode because you'll have songs in a minor key that use both a minor and a major seventh at different points, stuff like that, so some of this stuff is kind of debatable but I'm doing the best I can.

With that said, even my level of music theory nerdiness can't figure out WTF is going on with Robot Boy. :lol: The root is D, and the bassline/left hand of the piano part outlines a D minor scale, but all of the actual D chords are major, and there's also a G major chord which doesn't fit into D minor. The dominating tonality of it is like dorian with a major 3rd that appears exclusively on all of the "one" chords, but the progression also has a Bb in it, so the minor sixth is still a big part of it too! It's like it constantly switches back and forth between dorian and mixolydian...weird.

Since I'm adding modes where appropriate here's a quick little guide:

Lydian: Major scale with a sharp 4

Mixolydian: Major scale with a minor 7

Dorian: Minor scale with a major 6

Phrygian: Minor scale with a flat 2

Locrian: Minor scale with a flat 2 AND a flat 5

Harmonic minor (not really a "mode" technically): Minor scale with a major 7

Lydian and locrian don't really show up much in LP music, but the rest are fairly common. When I make note of these, I still note the key as being either major or minor, since modes are based on scales and a key signature is somewhat of a different thing. Sometimes it's kind of a judgement call on a song's key/mode because you'll have songs in a minor key that use both a minor and a major seventh at different points, stuff like that, so some of this stuff is kind of debatable but I'm doing the best I can.

With that said, even my level of music theory nerdiness can't figure out WTF is going on with Robot Boy. :lol: The root is D, and the bassline/left hand of the piano part outlines a D minor scale, but all of the actual D chords are major, and there's also a G major chord which doesn't fit into D minor. The dominating tonality of it is like dorian with a major 3rd that appears exclusively on all of the "one" chords, but the progression also has a Bb in it, so the minor sixth is still a big part of it too! It's like it constantly switches back and forth between dorian and mixolydian...weird.

That's awesome. I didn't know that song was so complex. Maybe that's why it sounds quite unique

• 1 year later...

Lil' bump to this. If anyone wants to update this with OML/PT and everything else that's come out and wants access to it feel free to request access and I'll give it to you when I get the email (shoutout sMart for reminding me about this lol)

It'll all be incorporated into Linkinpedia at some point, too.