New Gear stuff

So after watching some videos of their show at HOB, heres what I've noticed (mostly guitar stuff):

- Brad has a new 7/6 string (can't really tell, probably a baritone 6 string) for With You and Runaway. I have absolutely no idea what make it is.

- Chester has a new telecaster for the Iridescent part of the LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent medley.

If you listen to Chester before the Cataylst (which was the song after) he says something about the guitar being made by the guitar tech and being decomposable or something?

- Nothing special, but Phoenix seems to be favouring his White/with red tort pickguard P-Bass more then his sunburst.

- Mikes playing samples during Runaway. I'm pretty sure when they played it before Joe was doing them, but Mikes doing them for whatever reason now.

- I think Mike might have a new PRS on WFTE, but it might just be one of his blue ones that he usually uses for Faint/OSC etc.

- Mike definetely has a new white PRS (might actually be one of Brad's) on SIB.

- I think Mike has a new white Strat on WID.

- Phoenix is on backing vocals for BID

- Apparently Rob is wearing headphones instead of in-ears now (or maybe over them) for whatever reason.

All I have for right now, I'm sure more will be revealed after they start playing some more shows and new songs (which probably won't happen until the Honda Civic tour).

Edited by Op4blushift

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So after watching some videos of their show at HOB, heres what I've noticed (mostly guitar stuff):

- Brad has a new 7/6 string (can't really tell, probably a baritone 6 string) for With You and Runaway. I have absolutely no idea what make it is.

- Chester has a new telecaster for the Iridescent part of the LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent medley.

If you listen to Chester before the Cataylst (which was the song after) he says something about the guitar being made by the guitar tech and being decomposable or something?

- Nothing special, but Phoenix seems to be favouring his White/with red tort pickguard P-Bass more then his sunburst.

- Mikes playing samples during Runaway. I'm pretty sure when they played it before Joe was doing them, but Mikes doing them for whatever reason now.

- I think Mike might have a new PRS on WFTE, but it might just be one of his blue ones that he usually uses for Faint/OSC etc.

- Apparently Rob is wearing headphones instead of in-ears now (or maybe over them) for whatever reason.

All I have for right now, I'm sure more will be revealed after they start playing some more shows and new songs (which probably won't happen until the Honda Civic tour).

Yeah Ive noticed a few things too.

-I think Brads new guitar for With you/Runaway is a PRS 6 string. It looks like he has strung it up like he used to back in the days. Its hard to tell tho thanks to the quality of the vids. I believe its a PRS DC3 in a white finish based off the traditional PRS headstock & Pickguard shape.

-I can pretty much second your thoughts on Mikes new Gat on WFTE. It looks a little different from his other PRS'. I dont know if its a different shape or colour but I feel like it is a different guitar.

-Normally at the end of Blackout Chester would play his Racked toms (the same rack he played on WTCFM), well it seems like he just plays the trigger pads instead now.

-Brad also plays keys during Mikes part of BID. You can see him jump behind the keys and play the synth part. Also at the end of the song in the brief pause bit, you see Mike make the transition from his keyboard over to the synth keys to finish the song.

Im sure we'll notice a fair bit of new gear over the next coming weeks. I know Joe has a completely different set up now (which somewhat affected his Blackout sampler breakdown) so we'll get into it once better Q vids and pics surface.

Mike definitely samples the ongoing synth loop during Runaway on the pads of his keyboard - I think they used to have a backing track for that part.

Joe's new setup isn't completely different but there have been a few changes for sure. Here is a pic of his gear: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/img1058dj.jpg/

He still uses a JazzMutant Lemur MIDI controller and the turntables are probably the same too. Not sure about the mixer but the MIDI Fighter on top of it is new. It's basically a MIDI controller with arcade buttons and it has replaced the 4 KORG nanoPADs. This is probably what he uses for the glitch part of Blackout and his part on WFTE. I don't know what the white and black box next to the MacBook is.

It will be interesting to see what kind of gear they'll use for the new songs!

I know Brad uses a Digitech Whammy pedal in WFTE for the solo. but toher than that I don't notice alot of a band's gear, I don't pay much attention to it.

cue Astat's arrival :P

-Brad's using a white PRS with a maple neck (It's either an NF3 or a DC3, I'd assume the NF3 though because the DC3 has single-coil pickups) for With You/Runaway. It's not even a baritone (the Ibanez he used on With You/Runaway from 2003-2006 wasn't either), probably just throws some super-heavy strings on it and tunes it B to B.

-Chester's been using Telecasters on Iridescent quite a bit since early 2011, that one does seem to be new though. He mentions in his speech that Sean Paden (longtime LP guitar tech) built it as part of a new "Green Guitar Project," so I guess that's something to watch out for in the future.

-On the subject of Mike playing samples on Runaway, I can't tell for sure, but his main keyboard seems to have changed. I don't think he's using the Open Laps Neko XXL anymore. He also has his Access Virus synthesizer next to his main keyboard, which Brad plays during the rapping section of Burn it Down.

-Mike has at least 3 blue PRS's (2 Custom 24s - one with skulls painted on it and one without, along with a CE 24), so it's possible the guitar he uses on WFTE isn't new, but from what I can see of it, it looks like it has a flat top on it, almost like it's an SE model of some type. Hard to say for sure. I know SE's are cheap and may seem unlikely to be something Mike would use, but he actually used a couple SE One models on Somewhere I Belong during the 2009 tours, so it's possible.

-Mike's playing a white Dave Navarro signature model PRS on Somewhere I Belong, which is new (it's not Brad's, Brad has a white PRS that looks very similar, but his doesn't have gold hardware like the Dave Navarro model does).

-The white Strat with the black pickguard that Mike uses on What I've Done isn't new, but a very rarely-seen guitar! You can see it in one of the pictures from the Okinaway 2009 DSP, but up until now, that was the only time I'd ever seen it.

I know Brad uses a Digitech Whammy pedal in WFTE for the solo. but toher than that I don't notice alot of a band's gear, I don't pay much attention to it.

cue Astat's arrival :P

Brad actually doesn't use a Digitech Whammy, he uses a rack-mounted effects processor (probably the T.C. Electronics G-Major unit that he's had for years) for the pitch-shifting effect, and controls it with a Boss expression pedal, which has actually been part of his live rig since at least 2003, but up until WFTE was added to the set, I don't think he ever used it!

Edited by Astat

haha alright, it sounded remarkably similar ;)

I guess it's the same effect physically, just in a different unit...

Yeah, it's virtually identical as far as the execution goes (totally different on the album version though - they used an Electro-Harmonix HOG for the original recording). Brad probably went that route instead of using the Digitech Whammy because his current rig doesn't have any individual pedals on stage, he uses a MIDI switching system for all his effects and keeps the stompboxes stored in a drawer as part of his rack-mounted gear. With the Whammy pedal, it would have to be on stage where he could actually use it, so they'd have to run instrument cables from his rack, out to the front of the stage and back again, just for one pedal that he uses on one song, haha.

Edited by Astat

Hey just a little thing, so I noticed Rob has a new cymbal left to he's highhat. It's hard to see but we should find out when we some new proshot videos. They play Burn it down today at the billboard music awards n it's being filmed so can't wait :)

Hey just a little thing, so I noticed Rob has a new cymbel left to he's highhat. It's hard to see but we should find out when we some new proshot videos. They play Burn it down today at the billboard music awards n it's being filmed so can't wait :)

You sure that's a cymbal and not one of his triggers? He had a bunch of new trigger drums added on the left side of his kit for the ATS tour.

You sure that's a cymbal and not one of his triggers? He had a bunch of new trigger drums added on the left side of his kit for the ATS tour.

Pretty sure. When he hits it it sounded like a cymbel and moved like one. Think it was on burn it down when I saw it. Not sure. We will find out in like an hour when they take the stae at the Billboard music awards :)

if it's Rob and trigger cymbal (you said it moved like on, so i'm guessing it's not just a pad) it's likely a Roland CY-12C (if Crash) or CY-13R (if Ride) since he's got a sponsorship with them.

if it's to the left of his high-hat I'd say it's a 12C since that's how most drummers have their kit, but I'm just guessing, I don't know Rob's set-up or even if that's how he has his own particular rig configured.

if it's Rob and trigger cymbal (you said it moved like on, so i'm guessing it's not just a pad) it's likely a Roland CY-12C (if Crash) or CY-13R (if Ride) since he's got a sponsorship with them.

if it's to the left of his high-hat I'd say it's a 12C since that's how most drummers have their kit, but I'm just guessing, I don't know Rob's set-up or even if that's how he has his own particular rig configured.

There you go. It was above the drum rack that he used for the ATS tour. I'll try and find a pic. Wow there performance was amazing. Like the music video previews that we have seen

Rob didn't have the headphones on for burn it down at the billboard awards...

Yeah, that looks like some kind of electronic cymbal that Rob has mounted on top of his rack of trigger pads (it stops moving pretty quickly after he hits it, so I doubt it's a real cymbal). He uses it on Burn it Down, but I can't make out any specific sound that's triggered by it.

Also, I lied about Mike's keyboard, he's still using the Neko XXL.

On another note, I'm kind of surprised to see Brad using a PRS on Burn it Down. The guitar on the studio version sounds like a Strat to me.

Edited by Astat

Yeah, that looks like some kind of electronic cymbal that Rob has mounted on top of his rack of trigger pads (it stops moving pretty quickly after he hits it, so I doubt it's a real cymbal). He uses it on Burn it Down, but I can't make out any specific sound that's triggered by it.

if it stops moving pretty quick it's still likely to be a Roland V-cymbal. I have them on my kit and you can set them up to be pretty much motionless, they get quite annoying if they're loose to be honest

http://instagr.am/p/KL0HcUDmVR/

http://starrlabs.blogspot.com/2011/02/ztar...ks-bassist.html

Not a bass at all. That's a Starr Labs Z-Tar (basically a guitar-shaped MIDI controller), Phoenix's specific model is a Z6X. He's been using it on Blackout since last June, I believe.

If I remember correctly he got one of these following seeing Rob Swire (Pendulum) using one as a "guitar" while they supported them on the US leg of the ATS tou. it's pretty much a MIDI set-up that feels like a guitar - easier for people who want to trigger effects but find guitar scales easier

So yeah, I guess everyone's watching the stream right now but I just wanted to point out that for Lies Greed Misery Brad is using a Native Instruments Maschine throughout the whole song and Phoenix an M-Audio TriggerFinger for parts of the song.

A couple other updates following the show tonight:

-The guitar Mike is using on WFTE now is actually a Fernandes Sustainer-equipped PRS CE 24 with a blue sparkle finish. This is actually one of Brad's guitars that he frequently used on No More Sorrow in the past. I'm really not sure why Mike is using it for WFTE, unless he's using the Fernandes Sustainer in place of some of the other effects he had on his guitar for that song in the past.

-Brad used a different guitar on With You/Runaway than he did at the House of Blues, it looked like an all-black PRS with a rosewood fretboard and a pickguard. Not sure what model that would be, but the first model that springs to mind is the Mira (the NF3/DC3-type guitars like the one he used at the House of Blues only come with maple fretboards).

-Anyone who saw the webcast will know this, but all of the guitar on Lies Greed Misery is played by Mike.

-As previously reported, Rob is wearing headphones on stage now. Why? No idea. You can see the wires for his IEM's running down his back, so he's still using those, so the headphones must serve a different purpose.

A couple other updates following the show tonight:

-The guitar Mike is using on WFTE now is actually a Fernandes Sustainer-equipped PRS CE 24 with a blue sparkle finish. This is actually one of Brad's guitars that he frequently used on No More Sorrow in the past. I'm really not sure why Mike is using it for WFTE, unless he's using the Fernandes Sustainer in place of some of the other effects he had on his guitar for that song in the past.

-Brad used a different guitar on With You/Runaway than he did at the House of Blues, it looked like an all-black PRS with a rosewood fretboard and a pickguard. Not sure what model that would be, but the first model that springs to mind is the Mira (the NF3/DC3-type guitars like the one he used at the House of Blues only come with maple fretboards).

-Anyone who saw the webcast will know this, but all of the guitar on Lies Greed Misery is played by Mike.

-As previously reported, Rob is wearing headphones on stage now. Why? No idea. You can see the wires for his IEM's running down his back, so he's still using those, so the headphones must serve a different purpose.

yer i noticed that might be to protect hes ears more? idk brads headphones are not wired up to anything so ya..

Looking at some early photos from Pinkpop, looks like LP was using different gear for this show (Mike was using his blue PRS with the skulls instead of the plain blue one, as well as one of his black SGs instead of the red one), so I guess we can go ahead and confirm that LP is using at least 2 touring rigs on this tour. I'd imagine some of the guitars they used at the House of Blues that weren't used in Lisbon will be in this rig (or possibly a third one, if they're using 3).

http://instagr.am/p/KL0HcUDmVR/

http://starrlabs.blogspot.com/2011/02/ztar...ks-bassist.html

Not a bass at all. That's a Starr Labs Z-Tar (basically a guitar-shaped MIDI controller), Phoenix's specific model is a Z6X. He's been using it on Blackout since last June, I believe.

At the Sunrise soundcheck Mike gave a speech on the z-tar that Phoenix is playing. It's the reason why they had to play Blackout literally like 8-10 times. Like we saw 8 full Blackouts in a row, a half hour of Blackout LOL. He was playing his regular bass for a few then they stopped and he grabbed that and Mike talked about how Phoenix wanted to try the z-tar since it sounded better on the song. So he used that a few times. I didn't know he didn't start using it on stage until June though. I thought he used it on the North American Tour. Regardless and if not, that's cool we at least saw him in January using it haha

Looking at some early photos from Pinkpop, looks like LP was using different gear for this show (Mike was using his blue PRS with the skulls instead of the plain blue one, as well as one of his black SGs instead of the red one), so I guess we can go ahead and confirm that LP is using at least 2 touring rigs on this tour. I'd imagine some of the guitars they used at the House of Blues that weren't used in Lisbon will be in this rig (or possibly a third one, if they're using 3).

Yeah, that definetely seems like the case. Makes sense though, lugging one rig all over the world is probably quite costly and would take quite a bit of time. But I do know a few other fairly large bands that only seem to have one touring rig.

I noticed during the Rock in Rio Rob has another one of those Roland electronic cymbals to the right of he's high hat. It wasn't there at the house of blues show. So I would say the one on the left of the highhat is deff for burn it down and the one on the right is for LGM :)Anyone have photos?