The last MTM b-side

Mystery

Many people believe that we have all of the MTM b-sides that made the final 17. I don't think we do. We have the original twelve tracks that made the final cut, we have No Roads Left, Blackbirds, Across The Line, and What We Don't Know. Could it be possible that the last track is Grecian? In the DVD, the seeds of songs that we got to hear were from Blackbirds, Across The Line and Grecian, so could it be possible that Grecian is the last track?

If you disagree, do you have an idea of what the last track is?

Edited by Mystery

Yeah, the five they dropped had to be completely finished, so Not Alone is out. And are we sure that Across the Line is one of the five? I thought they said that they went back and finished the song after hearing fans whine about wanting it?

Yeah, the five they dropped had to be completely finished, so Not Alone is out. And are we sure that Across the Line is one of the five? I thought they said that they went back and finished the song after hearing fans whine about wanting it?

I think Across the Line is the Final form of "Japan" I think I've head this a while back but Im not 100% Sure.

Mike said that Across the Line was the last track cut from the album - if it had been a 13-track album, it would've been on there. So that's definitely one of the five.

I think the "going back and finishing" of various demos that the band has referred to with tracks like Blackbirds and Across the Line just amounts to doing the post-production work on them that never happened the first time around because they were cut before the mixing/mastering stage. The performances themselves probably haven't been altered at all.

Across the Line, No Roads Left, and Blackbirds are definitely 3 of the 5. I'd say What We Don't Know probably is too (it has the sonic character of everything else from the MTM sessions), but the timeframe of its recording hasn't been firmly established at this point.

Mike said that Across the Line was the last track cut from the album - if it had been a 13-track album, it would've been on there. So that's definitely one of the five.

I think the "going back and finishing" of various demos that the band has referred to with tracks like Blackbirds and Across the Line just amounts to doing the post-production work on them that never happened the first time around because they were cut before the mixing/mastering stage. The performances themselves probably haven't been altered at all.

Across the Line, No Roads Left, and Blackbirds are definitely 3 of the 5. I'd say What We Don't Know probably is too (it has the sonic character of everything else from the MTM sessions), but the timeframe of its recording hasn't been firmly established at this point.

Ah, that makes sense.

Of course. It was on the album so you know for sure it was one of those 17.

I guess it could also be possible that Pale was one of the five cut tracks.

I think the fact that Pale is dated as 2006 while What We Don't Know and Across the Line are both dated as 2007 rules that out. The 2006 date puts it more in line with stuff like Announcement Service Public and QWERTY.

I still think Pretend to Be could be one of them too. I know it was made after MTM droped, but I dont know, it SOUNDS like it should be a MTM demo. I'm probably wrong, but We dont really know the full story.

The band has said Pretend to Be originated from a Minutes to Midnight demo but they went back and re-recorded it later on. I suppose it's possible that it was one of the final tracks, but I doubt it.

I still think Pretend to Be could be one of them too. I know it was made after MTM droped, but I dont know, it SOUNDS like it should be a MTM demo. I'm probably wrong, but We dont really know the full story.

No, you're right, Pretend to be WAS a MTM demo, but it was finished in 2008. Not Alone was also finished later...So, concerning the 5 B-sides, we now have:

• Across The Line
  • No Roads Left
  • Blackbirds
  • and probably What We Don't Know
We still miss 1 (or 2) song(s).... Edited by Qwerty18

• Ah, that makes sense.

Is there a link online from where he said that ? or was it at a M&G

I just cant remember him confirming that.

Edit: Wrong quote, I meant Astat's post about ATL being the last cut from MTM.

Edited by Subs

Is there a link online from where he said that ? or was it at a M&G

I just cant remember him confirming that.

Edit: Wrong quote, I meant Astat's post about ATL being the last cut from MTM.

I think that was in the LPU chat Mike did right after LPU9 launched.

Pretty sure that every demo with the "2007" tag is one of the 5 MTM b-sides. Not Alone (original version) is probably the 5th one.

The original version of Not Alone was scrapped early on, probably right after the first stage of recording. Mike said in an interview (not sure which one) that they scrapped it in favor of LOTAR, since they were basicly the same structure, and they liked LOTAR more, cause of the lyrics or something. So i dont think they counted Not Alone as one of the 5.

So i dont think they counted Not Alone as one of the 5.

Could this lead you to believe that "Grecian" was one of the final five? Grecian is not ASP. In the demo we heard, the instrumental is a tad different and the screaming is scatting so that should clear that up.

The only reason I would assume it's Grecian, is because it was the only other track we heard from the DVD. The others have been released (Across The Line, and Blackbirds).

Is there a source which proves the track wasn't finished?

Could this lead you to believe that "Grecian" was one of the final five? Grecian is not ASP. In the demo we heard, the instrumental is a tad different and the screaming is scatting so that should clear that up.

The only reason I would assume it's Grecian, is because it was the only other track we heard from the DVD. The others have been released (Across The Line, and Blackbirds).

Is there a source which proves the track wasn't finished?

It was a uStream chat. TBCH I don't want to watch them all to find out which one, but it was definitely one of them.

edit: here's a post about it

edit 2: based on dates, I'm going to say it was this one: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6454979

Edited by Ash

It was a uStream chat. TBCH I don't want to watch them all to find out which one, but it was definitely one of them.

edit: here's a post about it

edit 2: based on dates, I'm going to say it was this one: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6454979

Well it's depressing they to know for sure the song was never finished. Now I see why the user "Grecian" has his signature saying "they never finished me". So it is official. Great. :(